Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hardwiring a home based LCD monitor to a vehicle...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwiring a home based LCD monitor to a vehicle...

Hello,

I have noticed the 15" LCD has an AC to DC power supply and the same for various other devices. The thought occured, if these devices are basically powered via DC voltage would it be possible to hardwire them to the vehicle. I am mainly concerned about the LCD monitor. The power supply for it is basically 110VAC in and 12VDC @ 1250mA out. This is most likely to be the most campatible with the vehicles 12VDC voltage. I am looking for a little more insurance before I cut and splice etc. I am a seasoned noob when it comes low voltage. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You

Leo

P.S.

I have attached to this eMail a photograph of the labeling on the power supply for the LCD monitor for refrence.
    Attached Files

You need regulated 12v power, at least 1.25A.
    If you have a supply for 12v regulated power, wiring this up should be a a piece of cake.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i wouldnt wire it right in line to the cars power....cars voltage fluctates up to nearly 15v, i think that would kill the monitor....i have seen DC- DC convertes., that may work bretter for you

Comment

Originally posted by enohand View Post
        i wouldnt wire it right in line to the cars power....cars voltage fluctates up to nearly 15v, i think that would kill the monitor....i have seen DC- DC convertes., that may work bretter for you
        And that is why I said this:

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
        You need regulated 12v power, at least 1.25A.
        If you have a supply for 12v regulated power, wiring this up should be a a piece of cake.
        Car's electrical system is not regulated, plain & simple.
        How about the Wiki?

Comment

How about the PC's power supply ? Would that tax the PC's power supply to much ?

Comment

Depends on the 12vDC output of the PC's PSU and the 12vDC draw on it by the PC.
            If there is at least 1.25A left over, you have enough power for that monitor.
            How about the Wiki?

Comment

Hey thanks for the help. Any electronics insight I can get helps sincerly. What prevoked the idea of hardwiring the LCD to the vehicle is because I am running everything on a 400WATT inverter. I beleive I have met the ceiling of it's capacity with what I have hooked up. Trust me I relized this when the PC would have random seizures running from the inverter and worked perfectly fine from the domestic power.

Since then I have hardwired the inverter to the battery using 8AWG wire. It seems to be content now and I also knocked the system noise down another 2% going that route.

Comment

Working...
              X