Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB socket in dash solutions? show me yours!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB socket in dash solutions? show me yours!

after putting a connects2 device to my golf, i want to run a USB socket either on the dash or in the ashtray.

i searched and found this:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7299

which looks alright for the astray but i wouldn't want it mounted on the dashboard.

what have people done in the past? is it a simple case of getting a hole cut to the right size and glueing it behind the panel? surely theres something better out there?

Indash isn't that hard really. It just consists of cutting the right sized hole somewhere that you can get the hardware behind.

What I did was take the front connector package off a standard computer. This included 2 audio connections and 2 USB connections. In addition, I stole the wiring that connected it all. I then just hooked inline 1/8" stereo jacks onto the audio connector wire, and a USB cable end onto the end of the usb. After epoxying the little board in place, using a little filler and paint, it ended up looking like this:
    Attached Files

Comment

The round bubble (because I know some people will ask!) is my re-located IR sensor for the touch screen, so I could retain use of the remote control, if need be.

Comment

how did you mount the socket to the back? something like this would be prone to breaking off right?

Comment

I was lucky enough to have the little tray there really with my install. The board fit down flush against it, then I just mixed up some epoxy and poured it all around it. There's about a 1/4" of epoxy in the piece to hold it in.

That said, its probably overkill. You want a good strong glue to hold it in. Elmer's won't cut it. I would suggest the epoxy route though. You don't have to go overboard, just get a strong connection.

Comment

Originally posted by seventynine View Post
            how did you mount the socket to the back? something like this would be prone to breaking off right?
            I roughed up the back of the plastic, and used 2-part epoxy. Trust me, it's not going anywhere!

Comment

it would have been nice to have a one stop solution, something that looked factory out of the box. i don't mind digging out the fiberglass and texture paint but it never looks like it should have been there in the first place

Comment

There's always the easy solution
                http://store.mp3car.com/Automotive_M..._p/com-040.htm

Comment

that would be perfect, but i still occasionally use the cigarette lighter for things like satnav n stuff. plus the location of mine would mean that i couldn't close the ashtray with an MP3 stick in it. and that was ideally what i wanted.

i'm a fussy swine really

Comment

Comment

I installed one of these inside my center console.

Mouser.com sells them (among other places) for like $6.00

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...Ad9SvFCQ%3d%3d

Works great for the USB memory sticks to add a few MP3's into the CarPC...and no rooting around in the trunk.

And, this sucker is built solid!
                      2003 Lexus SC430 - Black with Ecru. VaisTech & NavTool with Centrafuse integrated into factory nav screen (hands-free Bluetooth, Voice Command, mp3's, videos, HD Radio, Sirius Sat. radio, DVD, Internet, & digital gauges (via OBD-II)), & LuxLink module.

Comment

yeah maccess over here sell them for not a lot. did look pretty ugly but i might hide it away in the glovebox

Comment

I've seen those on a few UK sites. What size hole did you need to drill? Do they come with the screws for fitting? Pleased with the final result?

Comment

One thing you can do is just go down to Fry's, or whatever cool computer store (not big box, they won't help much) near you, and get a bracket made for a add-on card, or they even sell them with the cable attached to connect to a USB connector on the motherboard. I'm sure you could find it online, too. THey are usually made from aluminum so are easily bend-able and paintable to match the location you're putting it into. Plus, you get the cool little usb connector insignia. No pix for ya but that's what I did. You'd never know it didn't come with the car. I owe the board a bunch of pix on my work log so I'll try and get those up within the next couple days.

Comment

I remember seeing some of those used a few years back. Like the plate that goes in the floppy drive or 5 1/4" CD front panel. They have multiple USB ports, Firewire, headphone, mic, buttons, LEDs, LCDs, all kinds of stuff. Some are plastic too, and some could be cut down to fit an ashtray.

Comment

Working...
                              X