USB IR Reciever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB IR Reciever?

I've seen the Keyspan USB IR reciever, but can't order one from Canada. Does anyonw know of any other company that makes a USB (Stupid PC Book doesn't have Serial) IR reciever? I know the IRMAN is coming out with one, but they don't have prices or times yet for its release. I also thought about getting a USB to Serial adapter and then the IRMAN, but I have heard of incompatabilities with them.
    OrangeWhip? OrangeWhip? 3 OrangeWhips!!
    www.whipflash.com
    Finally a new Avatar!

Or on another note, is there software that will "read" the commands coming from a remote so that I can map them to other commands? I have a remote keyboard that has a IR hooked up to the PS2 port, and was wondering if I could get software to map a remote controls commands to standard keyboard commands?
    www.whipflash.com
    Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

OK I seem to be answering myself, but I have found a couple other products as well.
      http://www.eteklabs.com/kwikey.html http://www.baybeamer.ch/p_us.htm (irDA??)
      www.whipflash.com
      Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

is what your after an IRman?

or did i miss the point? (probably!)
        Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

I think he wants USB because he doesn't have a serial port for IRMAN. I know Evation is coming out with TIRCO which is USB and has same functionalities as IRMAN but can also send out IR signals!!
          I wonder when that would be...
          04 Acura TL w/ core2duo 2ghz laptop w/ 1gb RAM on a docking station.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

http://www.arcdesigns.net/carpc/

My TL CarPC ver2

FSR Flash Skin w/ moving weather maps

Comment

Originally posted by moahdib:
            <STRONG>I think he wants USB because he doesn't have a serial port for IRMAN. I know Evation is coming out with TIRCO which is USB and has same functionalities as IRMAN but can also send out IR signals!!
            I wonder when that would be...</STRONG>
            that sounds cool..... i do love the IRman, working with the serial port programming wise is VERY easy for this device and is a real no-brainer to get going..

Comment

Yeah my PCBook doesn't have serial or the IRMAN would already be ordered!
              www.whipflash.com
              Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by orangewhip:
                <STRONG>Yeah my PCBook doesn't have serial or the IRMAN would already be ordered!</STRONG>
                a bit of a silly soultion...... i know you can get converters that go from a USB to a parallel port....... what about USB to a serial port?! then you could use the good old IRMan!

Comment

Why does everybody want IR instead of RF?

I'm looking for an RF remote cause I want it to work whether or not it's in the line of site. Plus I want to do the same thing in the house and be able co control my computer connected to a TV in another room just using an RF remote.
                  1983 BMW 733i
                  Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
                  Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

I want an IR because I already have the actual remote that I want, I just need the reciever. As far as the USB to Serial then use IRMAN, yes I have thought of that, but it is MUCH cheaper to go the other route. Besides being a little "cleaner" of an install. I also read on some USB forums that some software won't recognize the IRMAN when it is hooked up to a USB to serial converter.
                    www.whipflash.com
                    Finally a new Avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by orangewhip:
                      <STRONG>I also read on some USB forums that some software won't recognize the IRMAN when it is hooked up to a USB to serial converter.</STRONG>
                      that would make sense, since you would need to install some "serial port emulator" to trick windows into thinking a serial port is there. if the IRMan software trys to read serial port signals using low-level hardware calls, thus passing the emulator it would not find the IRMan......

... cleared that one up nicely!!

Comment

I have tried to use IRMAN with a USB-serial and it works with girder and Cobra also actually...but not with IRassistant.

Couldn't you just add a PCI card that gives you a couple of serial ports?? like the SIIG one? I just got a spare one if you are interested.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

<STRONG>Couldn't you just add a PCI card that gives you a couple of serial ports?? like the SIIG one? I just got a spare one if you are interested.</STRONG>
                          PCI serial port cards??? I was gonna suggest that, but I was thinking that only serial port cards came in ISA, since most PCI motherboards I spose came with on-board serial/parallel ports......

Comment

i ahve seen pci cards that give 8 serial ports hehe
                            you can find these PCI cards on ebay.
                            these are the cards that I won just a few min ago in fact =)
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...ndexURL=0&rd=1

Since I don't need two of them i am gonna sell one of them as soon as i receive them.

Fast car, fast PC. ;)

My TL CarPC ver2

Comment

[QB]i ahve seen pci cards that give 8 serial ports hehe
                              you can find these PCI cards on ebay.
                              these are the cards that I won just a few min ago in fact =)
                              [QB]
                              eight????? who runs a BBS nowadays that would need soooo many COM ports!!! ah the good old BBS days..... how i loved em!

dial.... busy.... re-dial..... busy.... re-dial... busy.... re-dial

Comment

Working...
                              X