Cable Layout questions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Layout questions.

I have started the install of the six additional computers and the rewiring of the main PC. I decided to run all the cables in the upper frame work of the car, I had to run VGA extension and USB extension. All this combined created way to much wire to run in the floor. I want to figure out what can be run along those cables. I have the audio and power buttons which I will run through the upper part also, but will it cause EMI? I was also going to run the speaker wire, but since so much of the cabling is being run up, it will down. I do have the cars original wiring and some extra wiring for the rear pc control, but should I worry, or would it be better to run the speaker wire from the top also? Need input please!
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

You can run the VGA, USB and audio signal and power buttons together as they are low current wires and the EMI will be negligible. Whether you run the speaker wires and power wires together depends on how much power you are using. It is possible to induce spike in the speaker wire if they are too close to the power wire during high or prolonged transients.

Comment

Originally posted by wired48 View Post
      You can run the VGA, USB and audio signal and power buttons together as they are low current wires and the EMI will be negligible. Whether you run the speaker wires and power wires together depends on how much power you are using. It is possible to induce spike in the speaker wire if they are too close to the power wire during high or prolonged transients.
      Now its going to maybe be the other way around, the Audio will be high powered. I think now that I have deleted the old speaker wire and I'm replacing it with high grade wire, I should be fine running it on the floor. Everything else I will run from the top. Is it true that if you have good quality amps, EMI is also almost non existent?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Did you say 6 additional computers?? Sheesh!

Good quality amps go a ways towards low EMI...but they won't eliminate it. They could possibly even amplify it! Good quality components thruout, as well as good grounds (including the 'Big Three') help as well...
        I have zero noise in my setup, and I didn't do anything special with it...

Comment

Originally posted by WuNgUn View Post
          Did you say 6 additional computers?? Sheesh!

Good quality amps go a ways towards low EMI...but they won't eliminate it. They could possibly even amplify it! Good quality components thruout, as well as good grounds (including the 'Big Three') help as well...
          I have zero noise in my setup, and I didn't do anything special with it...
          Yes 6, I am trying to go for the most massive install possible, lol. The 6 will not be connected through the main amps though, they only work with headphones.

What I tried to do wiring wise is eliminate long runs. Like before, I had it so that the audio cables from the SB Xtremegamer needed extensions to reach the back. Now that I have rerun the cable through the middle, all those extensions are gone. It now connects direct to the AMPS. There is stuff crossing the cable though, 6 USB cables, and a DVI cable. Other then that I will also have two M4-ATX PSUs, which power the six PC units, the ethernet switch, and the access point. I went ahead and took the wires for the camera system power, relay wire to turn on the M4s, Amp wire and video for camera, and weaved it into the current original wire. That wire doesn't run 100% along the base of the floor, and in the floor near the seats it runs in the track. I intend to run the audio parallel with it with about a 2 inch gap. I am thinking with high grade wire that it will shield anything that may bother it. If I do have EMI, it shouldn't be much so I will use the GLIs, but I really don't want too.

PS: What is the big 3?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Also, what type of speaker wire do you recommend.... Alpine recommends 12 gauge wire..... but is there any other thing about the wire I should be looking for?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

the big three is power, ground and alternator wires. he is saying that upgrading all three of these wires could help later on.

for mids and tweeters, 16-12 ga is fine, subs should have at least 12 ga or larger.

I don't like to run any less than 14 guage audio wire--I have used 14ga home theather wire, in the white jacket. currently, I am using pro series 13 ga 4 conductor to my mids/ tweets, and 12 ga monster cable sub wire.

14/2 wire: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=100-762

'pro series' 13/4(overall size is near 1/0 ga):
              http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=100-485

automotive speaker wire is a waste of money-- the rockford fosgate 12 guage 'sub' automotive wire from best buy, is equivelant to most 18 guage wire that i have used in the past, but with a thicker insulator. in a pinch, I would use this for tweeters.
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

12AWG is pretty big...but probably neccassary for high power and/or long runs...
                It can't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                X