Need Advice on what to do

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice on what to do

So I am buying a black 2005 Ford F150 Super Crew for my project "Goliath" and it comes with 3 LCD screens in the car. One 1 DIN flip out touch (Jensen vm9511ts) and 2 LCDs in the head rests (currently cloning the jensen).

Now the issue is project "Goliath" is a weapon systems platform I am building that is built around a carpc. Is there anyway to use the existing hard ware in the truck or should I just sell it and put in a lilliput? Assuming I keep the back LCD screens, what should I use them for? They are flush in the head rests so removing them probaly won't be a good option.

Thanks!

delete that cheap headunit and put in a proper carpc.

Comment

there is probably a video input on the jensen that you could use if you wanted to add a car pc. You'll need to figure out a system to be able to output three separate screens if you don't want to mirror the jensen unit. You can use multiple video cards or usb to video outputs if you are using a car pc.

Comment

Wow you sold me on it. As for it being cheap headunit the cheapest I could find was 450. I may just put it in another car and put the lilliput in there.

Comment

The issue with using the video in on the jensen is how do I get the touch screen to send back mouse signals? I couldn't find any documentation on using it as a VGA monitor, one of the reasons I posted is I figured the community here would have better luck finding out or having a weird way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by nolimitsoldier View Post
            The issue with using the video in on the jensen is how do I get the touch screen to send back mouse signals?
            Short answer: you don't.

I couldn't find any documentation on using it as a VGA monitor, one of the reasons I posted is I figured the community here would have better luck finding out or having a weird way to do it.
            There is no documentation because people don't do it.
            Can it be done? Sure.
            Here's how:
            Open up your expensive headunit, voiding the warranty in the process.
            Figure out the touchscreen controls and engineer them to send a serial signal through either USB or a COM port.
            Write drivers if needed for your OS of choice, as well as any support tools such as calibration utilities.

Are you up to the task?
            Most of us aren't either, hence the "short answer" above.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
            X