No announcement yet.

Is there a proper CarPC radio solution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a proper CarPC radio solution?

It seems to me that there's a need for a proper radio solution, ie:

1. USB controlled
    2. High sensitivity receiver
    3. Audio output to PC via USB - which Centrafuse (or other) could mix with it's SatNav output before sending it to the soundcard.

A combined radio/DAC would be a perfect solution - but I'm damned if I can find one!

You mean something like this: http://direct.xtronic.be/products/hq...usb-radio.html

They've been around for a while now and generally integrate with popular front ends (apart from some volume control woes).
    2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

I already looked at the HQCT. It doesn't pipe it's audio via USB, you have to either:

1. Connect its output to the line-in of your soundcard (my DAC doesn't have one)
      2. Connect your soundcard's output to the AUX in of the HQCT (you won't hear Centrafuse's SatNav)

Short of buying a new soundcard a don't really see a solution out there.

It would be great if someone would produce a combined USB DAC/Radio - anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by NibbleIT View Post
        I already looked at the HQCT. It doesn't pipe it's audio via USB, you have to either:

1. Connect its output to the line-in of your soundcard (my DAC doesn't have one)
        2. Connect your soundcard's output to the AUX in of the HQCT (you won't hear Centrafuse's SatNav)

Short of buying a new soundcard a don't really see a solution out there.

It would be great if someone would produce a combined USB DAC/Radio - anyone?
        Sounds like a job for Mitch....

Comment

maybe i am missing something, but why wont this work ?

its a lot cheaper. i think i would rather go with a pci card. usb seem to shake loose on my carPC.

Comment

Maybe it's me who's missing something - I didn't think the ADSTech Instant FM was designed for car use & consequently reception suffers when on the move - anyone care to correct me ... please!

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/user...les-ready.html
              OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
              Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
              Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
              BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
              M2-ATX Power Supply
              RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
              Windows XP SP3

Comment

I think the OP is looking for something USB that basically sets up an audio device so you don't have to tie up the serial port and line in. I have the directed as well but a USB solution is tempting. Plus because of mitch unless another solution offers HD I would feel I lost something.
                Click for my projects
                2006 F150 with removable Nexus 7

2006 Mustang with indash CarPC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Deric View Post
                  I think the OP is looking for something USB that basically sets up an audio device so you don't have to tie up the serial port and line in. I have the directed as well but a USB solution is tempting. Plus because of mitch unless another solution offers HD I would feel I lost something.
                  well radioshark does audio via usb, BUT it's reception is utter and complete crap (trust me i have one) there is a couple mods out there to make it better but i have never noticed a difference.
                  Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

Thanks for the response guys

I really like the look of VISTEON HDZ300 & DIRECTED DMHD1000 but as Deric says I don't have a line-in (I've got a 'DAC Straight' from HotAudio) plus I'm in the UK so HD don't exist here!

I'm gonna order the RDX-155-EF & give it a try ... I think I read somewhere that although you can hook it up to a standard car aerial it prefers something else - different impedance or something? Can anyone enlighten me?

Comment

^ What he said..... HD Radio is the best way to go. The solution is made for the car and is adapted for Car PC use, just like the XM was. Whats nice is that you can get alot of HD channels, but if you dont have HD near you, the receiver will also pick up analog stations so you can hear those too.

PS: buy a cheap USB soundcard from BuyExtras.com, I bought mine for $7.95, then use the line in on that for HD radio.

PS #2: I dont know if this will work in Europe. I know HD will not work at all, but maybe analog will? Can someone is Europe confirm this or not?
                      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I use the silabs usb dongle. I wired it into my truck's antenna and it solved my reception issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Salmizar View Post
                          I use the silabs usb dongle. I wired it into my truck's antenna and it solved my reception issues.
                          How did you do it though. I tried that and it didnt work at all.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I've ordered both the Silabs & the Brando - couldn't find a cheap enough supplier for the ADS Instant FM to the UK.

Some seem to be getting good on-the-move receiption from the Silabs, having done the aerial mod.

There also seems to be some confusion over where to connect the ground:

http://forums.fluxmedia.net/general-...ification.html

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                              How did you do it though. I tried that and it didnt work at all.
                              I soldered the Antenna to the pad where the old antenna use to make contact on the board. I then connected the shielding for the antenna to the shielding of the USB cable (outer casing of the usb).

Comment

Working...
                              X