No announcement yet.

Is there a fast booting ATOM 330 board?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a fast booting ATOM 330 board?

OK ... I'm interested in the time in takes from supplying power till the Windows loading bar is displayed - cold boot or hibernation - not standby please

My D945GCLF2 takes 12 seconds before Windows even gets a sniff ... then a further 8 seconds to loads Windows ... so 20 seconds in total.

If I can find a board whose BIOS completes quickly I'll be a happy chappy!

20 seconds is too long?
    Someone is impatient.

I spend twice that putting on my seat belt, adjusting my seatingposition and making sure I have everything I need for my journey...
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

DP ... lol ... you're right - the whole fast boot time thing has become a must have for me - just trying to make it as consumer as possible really!

EDIT: Just re-timed things ... currently running off a power brick - will install M3-ATX when someones got one!

Cold boot into Windows:
      12secs (BIOS) + 14secs (Windows) = 26secs total

Resume from Hibernation:
      12secs (BIOS) + 9secs (Centrafuse with music playing) = 21secs total

Comment

I wouldn't recommend the M3 - the LF2 just does not get along with it. Your times sound similar to mine in use though - when I was configuring the system and didn't have any USB stuff plugged in the BIOS was only a few seconds. Not sure if it is possible to get that time with the system in usable configuration though.

Add in the delay between turning the ignition and the computer actually starting though, and I am often rolling before the computer has resumed from hibernation.

Comment

Hi Strikeback03 ... I've read a few conflicting things about the M3, thing is I've gone for a M350 enclosure (http://www.mini-box.com/M350-univers...-itx-enclosure) coz space is tight & the M3 is the only thing I can find that'll fit ... got any recommendations? New mainboard perhaps???

Comment

yeah there is:
            zotac aton 330, forgot the model.
            asrock ion 330 ( very good board, but a bit expensive)

Comment

Anyone tried LF2 + M3 ... does it work?

Comment

I actually did use an M3 with my LF2, it worked right for about a week, went in and out for a few more weeks, then stopped responding altogether. The only USB accessories plugged in were the touchscreen and the connection to my (separately powered) USB hub.

Maybe you could fit an M2 in that front area where they show the USB WiFi dongle in those pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by strikeback03 View Post
                  Maybe you could fit an M2 in that front area where they show the USB WiFi dongle in those pictures?

Do you already have the M350? If so just grab (or print off) a mm ruler and measure out the area to see if an M2 would fit.

I considered the M3, but decided against it after reading some more reviews on it.
                  FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                  My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

I've got a M2 mounted in a 4th Gen mocoso - I don't think it'll fit in an M350 ... I need the front USB ports anyways!

I'm assuming it's the M3's 5v 6A limit the LF2 doesn't like - and seeing as I can't find another PSU that'll fit the M350 it looks like I'll stick with the M3 and get a new mainboard with a lower 5v requirement, any suggestions?

Comment

I know I looked into one of the MSI Fuzzy boards, it gave power specs which seemed to be acceptable. Finding that detailed of info is unfortunately difficult.

Comment

Power specs for a motherboard are pretty similar across the board. CPU, video chipset and onboard devices make the lions share of the power draw.
                        Look at those to determine power draw of your system.
                        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

The problem is when power is allocated in weird ways. The LF2 with its excessive 5V draw being an obvious example. I don't know if anyone has measured the draw of the individual rails on an Ion board to see if it also draws a lot of 5V, or if it is more of the standard 12V.

Comment

fast bootup

I know it's not ION, but the Zotac 9300 boots off of an SSD in 8 seconds - from pressing the power button to a Windows XP SP3 desktop. The BIOS is blazing fast. I'm guessing the Zotac Ion motherboard would be slower due to processor speed, but maybe it's still pretty fast if it has a similar BIOS?

Comment

Atom 330 boot times....

Cold boot up = why worry??
                              Resume from S3 (not hibernation) = 2-3 seconds

Current draw in S3 sleep with a USB slot load DVD drive (powered by a power harness from the M2), a space navigator, a 7 port USB hub (with external power), USB BT dongle etc etc = less than 50mA. At that rate you could let the car sit for weeks without worrying (disclaimer: I have a BMW 740, which has a fairly substantial battery). And the M2 will shut down the CarPC completely if the battery voltage falls too low.

I end up "rebooting/cold booting" my CarPC, maybe once a month or so.

Comment

Working...
                              X