Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reversing a NON reversed rear view camera??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing a NON reversed rear view camera??

If you are using a security camera that is NOT reversed, is it a big deal to reverse the picture internaly? Assuming, of course, that you are a qualified technician or engineer and used to working with electronics.
    Jim Isbell
    Installed HP T5700 running full XP on a 10 gb HD, Street Atlas 2005, LT-20 GPS, OBD-Diag, rear view camera, FM transmitter.

not big deal to reverse it on more expansive units say more then $200 but u need programmer form the manufacturer (programmer usually goes for $400)

If you are talking about cheap $50 eBay cameras, some of them have internal solder in switches that can do image mirrow.

If your camera conected to PC the software should be easily flip your image
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
    3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

I was hoping a couple of wires/traces hacked and reversed would do the job. I am talking about a Chinese $14 (Including shipping!!) color camera with Composite output. I don't want to use software in the PC because while this is the in dash monitor for my PC I was planing on bypassing the PC going directly to the composite input on the in dash monitor with three cameras through a three way switch for switchable rear views, LEFT, BACK, and RIGHT. The PC uses the VGA input and I want to keep it independent.

I bought the one camera without thinking about needing to reverse the image. I dont have it yet, so it may be a non-problem. But the next two will state they are reverse image or I wont buy them.

The problem I will have with the two side "mirrors" will be that all the cameras I have seen so far want to be horizontally mounted (above the license plate) and for the sides I want vertical mounting to reduce windage. So with them I will want to rotate the CCD chip 90 degrees!!! Probably a lot easier, just mechanical mountings to move.
      Jim Isbell
      Installed HP T5700 running full XP on a 10 gb HD, Street Atlas 2005, LT-20 GPS, OBD-Diag, rear view camera, FM transmitter.

Comment

well for 14 buck you should be glad that camera works itself, i pay $80 for lenses alone.

you can try to rotate camea if u have bullet body othrewise just get preprogramed camera for 40
        3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

Rotating the camera will not reverse the picture, it will just make it upside down.
          Jim Isbell

Comment

ok use mirror =) actual physical mirror tube, but i think its more expansive then regular mirrored camera =)

Comment

I doubt a $14 camera will be of any good quality (durability and picture wise) to use on a car. If it isnt noon, I doubt you will get a reasonable picture
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

well i think he uses CCTV camera which the cheapest i can get for my biz is $35 wholesale so priably cam has plastic lesnes and 320 linbes sensor

But in terms of price my webcam get decent image and cost me same 14 bucks, the only problem was 5mm lesn which was sux so i upgareded to $60 2.3mm lense and got 150 degree field of view =)

Comment

I can get the IR illuminated ones for $20 with 120 degree view angle, 420 line, F1.2 with IR AND reversed for rear view.

But, if this one cannot be reversed, it will probably end up in my engine room on the boat so I can see what is going on down there from the navigation deck...Fire Watch.... The engine room camera MUST be color or you cannot tell what you are looking at and the engine room has fluorescent lighting.

I see no need for more than 420 line...a car approaching from the back is all I am looking for, I dont need to read the license plate...#8-)
                  Jim Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by tempgp View Post
                    ok use mirror =) actual physical mirror tube, but i think its more expansive then regular mirrored camera =)
                    You know, I actually thought of that, but not a tube. My camera will look out a glass window in the hatch and could be mounted to point straight up with a 45 degree mirror above it. But that would be Rube Goldberg.
                    Jim Isbell

Comment

can i get link to those 20 buk cameras? I but few, thats almost free giveaways

Comment

do a search on EBay for item # 260437857374
                        Jim Isbell

Comment

oh its the same one i just gace to my friend, but cheper version, it des not have light sensor which is sux coz IR during date time makes camera g nuts in selecting proper mode =) and outer wide rig attachment is just plastic body
                          + it cant fit to trunk leads of any of Mercedeses

Comment

Cutting and switching the IR lighting would be an easy modification. Just connect it to the power for the headlights. Mine will be mounted inside the car so not exposed to sunlight or weather.
                            Jim Isbell

Comment

not really easy mode for that camera,
                              If u take it apart u will see that LEDs are soldered in the board + they use 30mA @ 3.2V (I think) so you will need separate LED driver ti power them indepandantly or you will need a resistor for each light (about 300Ohm and at lest 3Watt)

Comment

Working...
                              X