Mount camera on bumper - Dangers of electricity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mount camera on bumper - Dangers of electricity

well guys i am on a doubt situation...i mean...i want to do something but dont know how!

I plan to install cameras for parking aid on my car but the question is how!!!

I plan to install the camera (a webcam by USB (connected to my carpc which is already installed with fuses also....) or a AV camera with probably a battery or dire connected to my car battery with fuses also) which need to be installed on the bumper...meaning that there will be a contact between my car frame (bodywork) (i mean steel or something) and electricity that goes inside cables..

Well in case of collision/accident or damage to the camera (since its on a plastic box and has circuits inside) or cables is there any problem if there is any touch between the cables and car steel, i mean any short circuit or fire?? What shall i do and how ?

If your short out the usb, you might damage the motherboard (Ive done this before). If the video signal is only RCA, then there is less possibility of damage. Your power wires should be fused.

Comment

+1 to putting a fuse on the power wire

Comment

If you do have an accident, the motherboard probably won't be one of your first worries though! Plus, insurance should cover it, just be sure to keep receipts and all of everything you have hooked up.

That said, putting a fuse on the power wire is an excellent idea.

Comment

my concern isnt pc its the car! I mean i dont wanna any fire started by a shortcircuit from any kind of camera, USB or RCA one. Just wanna know what shall i do to avoid any kind of electric problems....

having a pc already installed on my car with fuse, shall i install another fuse for usb cable ??? Dont understand!

Comment

Originally posted by nalav View Post
            Plus, insurance should cover it,
            Unlikely, unless you cover it specifically.
            OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
            Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
            Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
            BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
            M2-ATX Power Supply
            RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
            Windows XP SP3

Comment

a) insurance does not cover not stock equipment and especially car modes
              b) webcam on average uses 30mA @ 5V = 0.15W almost next to impossible to heat up your bumper in case of fire. If you have fuel gases leak then shorting wire sparks can cause the explosion but that is highly highly unlikely.
              c) go to hardware store get some silicone and pure it over tour circuit boards and make sure lens is covered.

PS: we have conducted test on this subject to see how webcams and regular indore cameras would behave outdoor.Result => camera failed due to rain and salt watter affecting circuit board. I have whitepaper on that but im too lazy too post it. But if u want i can put it in one of the forums.
              Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
              Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
              3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

I've never seen an insurance that doesn't cover upgrades to the stereo, at least to some extent. I pay the extra $5 a month on my insurance though, since my "stereo" upgrades are more than "some extent". In fact, most policies will also cover (to some extent) items that are in the vehicle and damaged as a result of that accident, which could very well cover the computer. How much "some extent" will or will not cover will vary based on insurance company and policy so you should check on that for yourself. I would actually be surprised to find many policies that would completely, totally, absolutely refuse to cover the computer.

Good point about the webcam, I didn't think to mention that an outdoor cam should be used, I figured this should be assumed, but maybe not everybody realizes this. If possible, it could even be beneficial to place the camera in as well protected spot as possible. Even an outdoor camera, the better condition you can keep it in, the longer it will last.

Comment

well maybe u have special insurance, but let say u have carbon fiber body mode and u got into accident, incurance will refuse to pay it as it is not "common" car conditions, so they wil setle with cost of repair of the same body damage on same but not moded car, and sure that will not cover your cost. If you pay something extra for special equipment and u have note in the contract that might change things, but normally Bumper-to-Bumper covers what ever stock car is equipped with .... again that what i saw on average with claims. And ofcause we aonlly talking about full coverage, as liability insurance of other driver in any event will not cover inside equipment, to more extend they can claim that your screen distracted the driver and it caused the accident by say immediate stop in no fault situation. Thtas why u need to have lock on the screen so driver can play with car pc while moving, otherwise u can loose just about any case.

camera wise: i think i only saw 1 webcam that is designed to work outdoor. There are few industrial "webcams" but it is more appropriate to call them USB Cameras as they are same size as PRO box cameras and only can be fited in large SUVs or in cockpit like in highway patroll cars.

If we are talking about regularr CCTV component camera then u can get outdooe through hole bamper mount camera on ebay ~$40, then u need some sort of video capturing board, i tried cheap DVR boards4 channel from ebay, but for Car PC it will work only as 1 channel. Also DVR boards will take quite a CPU power so i prefer web USB or Firewire cameras, but again those u need to mode to make them watter proof
                  3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

well i see this is not an issue that gets agreement!!

I am wondering installing a webcam in the front and rear of my car for parking aid but this issue of electricity against my car isnt getting me well satisfied!

Putting silicon around the circuit board and also on the cable surroundings will protect from any kind of problem ?

Thanks!!!!!

Comment

silicone will protect your cam from water. If you have good lenses and it is waterproof then you good to go. If you have cheap lense the water still might get in through lens imperfections.

In any way, if you silicone the board there is nothing u should worry abou. Worsest that can happen you camera goes black over few years of operation, there will be no damage to your comp. If you real crazy about that go get a diode and put it on both + and - wires in appropriate directions .. that will give you extra protection in case if power leakage over rain water.

I will be pouting webcam in my car I if i do it faster then u, I can post pix of how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by tempgp View Post
                        silicone will protect your cam from water. If you have good lenses and it is waterproof then you good to go. If you have cheap lense the water still might get in through lens imperfections.

In any way, if you silicone the board there is nothing u should worry abou. Worsest that can happen you camera goes black over few years of operation, there will be no damage to your comp. If you real crazy about that go get a diode and put it on both + and - wires in appropriate directions .. that will give you extra protection in case if power leakage over rain water.

I will be pouting webcam in my car I if i do it faster then u, I can post pix of how to do it
                        man thans! I am not concerned about what could happen to my webcam not even to my pc, i just worried about car!!!

Comment

find or drill a hole, stuff a rubber grommet in it, and run the wire through it. If you get in a bad enough wreck to where that doesnt protect the wire from being mutilated, well there wont be much of a car left anyways to worry about...
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

dont worry about car even if you cut usb wires and short it to car body car will not even notice that max USB current is 1.2A at 5V = 6W. 6 Watt is not enough to get something heated, + all car electonic is fudes and usually can survive any external voltage of up to 24V 30A so technically if you take you wires from your car battery and shoren it say on your radio it still should have no demage and that is 720 Watt (it will burn the mettal though) but usb is so powerless that unless you stick it to the car ECU chip then it can not do any demage

Comment

Working...
                            X