Volume control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume control

I'd like to have 2 mechanical volume controls (really controlling the amp output) in my new install. One would control the 4 channel amp driving the 4 sets of components and the second the sub amp. I got the idea from here.

http://www.davidnavone.com/linedrivers.html

I'm referring to the item at the top. The N-22V.

My question is how hard would it be to build something like this? Or am I better off buying a professionaly made unit. I don't want to sacrifice audio quality for price.

Alternatley is here any other way to do this? And I don't want a griffin powermate. I'd like to control the output of the amps independently. Some types of music require more bass than others and so on and so forth. Thanks for your help!

you always want to control your signal at the low level side not after the amp-including any crossovers. that volume control looks good. you can always email david navone or go on the car sound forum where he moderates a troubleshooting section. he always responded to me when i asked him questions.

http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

or--you could get an equilizer with front/rear fade and sub out that has a volume control on it. then use that volume control for your main volume--run it before the eq.

plus...theres a guy from ohio that went out to film a monster garage show on the discovery channel a few weeks ago in the fabrication forum that we're all waiting to hear from. i looove that show!
    99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

The N-22 is a passive volume control and it could be easily built.

This figure shows you how to wire it up:

The fig. above is for one channel only.
      You will need a double-ganged potentiometer for stereo operation, the difference is that it has 3 more lugs to connect the other channel.
      You can go "fancy" by using the high quality sealed kind (no dirt going inside the resistance element), and gold plated rca jacks if needed and put the whole thing in a small project box.
      A 47K-50K ohms pot will be OK
      NOTE: In the fig. above rca plugs are shown, jus replace them with rca jacks

Also, this circuit is for low level signals ony.

Comment

ah ha! I knew I'd get the answer I wanted if I posted it here. Thanks a million!

Comment

okay... now it's really going to seem like I'm lazy, but I've looked I swear!

Where can I get some decent dual gang pots to use? Radio Shack has crap. I've been looking online and I found a supplier for Alps potentiometers, but they're in the UK. Am I just not using the right search string? I've tried dual gang potentiometer, stereo potentiometer, volume potentiometer, and a whole lot else.

Once again, thanks in advance!

Comment

I've had great luck finding small electronic components from Digikey andMouser. Do a search for "potentiometer dual" on those sites and you should get plenty of hits.

Comment

ddt ,

I know you plan on making the volume controls. Just in case you change your mind and decide to go with the David Navone brand, I'll tell you that they work very well. I've had them (one for speakers, one for sub) since 2001. No complaints.

Comment

I don't doubt it, but I think as long as I find the right pots, I think I'll do fine. No reason to spend $50 if I can do it for $20.

Comment

what do you guys think about this?

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
                    what do you guys think about this?

Looks like it'll work, I'd still buy an EQ/Mixer
                    [H]4 Life
                    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                    I'm a lesbian too.
                    I am for hire!

Comment

the simple answer is that I don't want one.

Comment

Originally posted by ddt
                        the simple answer is that I don't want one.
                        well OK then
                        [H]4 Life
                        My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
                        It will be done sometime in the next generation.
                        I'm a lesbian too.
                        I am for hire!

Comment

not trying to be rude... that's what I was trying to avoid

Comment

If you get this as an audio part, you should be okay.

If it's a generic dual "pot", be sure to get an audio taper control and not linear taper...

-Mario

Comment

Theres not really much need for the full range pot in my opinion. I had an setup like this in my car and I liked it. I used the dual gang pots audio taper from radio shack and didnt have any problems.

mike
                              91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

Working...
                              X