Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing rotary volume with switches

Hi folks,

My sub remote line basically consists of a variable resistor to set the level of the sub's.
    I want to replace this with a up and down push button system.
    Maplin (UK electronics company) used to do a simple IC for this very thing, but dont any more.

Does anyone know of a circuit that might start me in the right direction?
    I guess what I am after is a digitally controlled resistor.

TIA

Dave

search for digital potentiometer, digital rheostat
    [H]4 Life
    My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
    It will be done sometime in the next generation.
    I'm a lesbian too.
    I am for hire!

Comment

Dallas Semiconductor makes several.

Look at digikey.com, search term = digital rheostat
      [H]4 Life
      My next generation Front End is right on schedule.
      It will be done sometime in the next generation.
      I'm a lesbian too.
      I am for hire!

Comment

Digital pot. should work, but there are also proper IC's out there designed specifically for audio. You might find they are higher quality or have extra features at around the same price. I don't have any numbers off hand, but if you live in the UK a company called rapidelectronics sell them. If you're interested I'll search out a part # for you.

Best regards,
        Matthew

Comment

Thanks guys, Matthew I would really appreciate taking you up on your offer.

Dave

Comment

Well I found the part number. It's WM8816EDW and it's made by a company called 'Wolfson'. You can get it from www.rapidelectronics.co.uk (not sure if they sell outside the UK) under order number 82-2156. It's stereo so you only need the one. Only thing is I have never used this IC before, neither have I searched for a datasheet on it, so you may need some extra external circuitry.

If you do get problems with finding info on this IC or using it, then as the other guys said give the dalles digital pot a try. Part number for a dallas digital potentiometer is DS1267-100 (that one is 100k but there are also 10k and 50k models, just change the number on the end).

Best regards,
            Matthew

Comment

Thanks for the help, will let you all know how I get on

Dave

Comment

How about a moterized pot ? Then you have the best of both worlds.

Dave

Comment

Its a sub remote from a Directed d600 amp. Its about matchbox sized, with a knob on the front (space for LED's inside the box but not installed). It's pig ugly really, and Im trying to make my interior pretty stock looking, using only OEM parts for eveything that I do.
                  The JDM CRX got a lot of different parts, and Im lucky to have aquired nearly all of them for my UK spec CRX.
                  But going digital I can hide a switch anywhere in the car. It also means that I can have the resistor part bang smack next to the amp and run the control wires to the front. This will cut down on any possible interference too.
                  Being digital, it could also be controlled from a PC system on a touchscreen via parallel port. My empeg can already be wired up with serial control, just send it ASCII.
                  With that said, no PC is going in till I can get a VGA one in dash (praying to the digitalww god ).

Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X