Backup battery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup battery

Anybody ever use a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) to power their pc for a little while so it can update or sync without having to have the car running?

They are big, heavy, and they don't like cheap inverters.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HumungousBacon View Post
        why do you need a

What DP said is exactly true...

I read a while back someone was using some serial connection to a PIC they programmed and a spare battery on a tank circuit.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I'm not understanding why an UPS is needed, would the car battery not suffice?

Comment

That is my thoughts as well... What is an UPC??? A battery of course!

And bumping a post from yesterday is just plain rude!

Comment

As DP said, most UPS's don't like cheap inverters. We use Xantrex Pro Sine inverters at work because they play nice with UPS's, but they cost upwards of $1500. The key thing to look for is "true sine wave" inverters that put out a clean sine wave, UPS's are very finicky about their power input.
              "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
              RevFE
              My Shop

Comment

Originally posted by Crinos View Post
                That is my thoughts as well... What is an UPC??? A battery of course!
                A UPC is a barcode issued by a product's manufacturer for inventory control.
                A UPS (uninterruptable power supply) is a battery.

And bumping a post from yesterday is just plain rude!
                QFT!
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Just a simple question. didn't know all of that. i just don't want to leave my car running while i sync it with my home PC. was trying to figure out a way to power the PC without draining the car's battery.

Comment

Originally posted by HumungousBacon View Post
                    Just a simple question. didn't know all of that. i just don't want to leave my car running while i sync it with my home PC. was trying to figure out a way to power the PC without draining the car's battery.
                    Well you will be draining a battery no matter what.

If you are planning on using it for long periods with the car off, I suggest a secondary battery system consisting of a deep cycle battery (can be discharged and charged to death lots of times without loosing much charge as compared to your standard lead acid which will never be the same after a deep discharge), a charging system that isolates the secondary battery from the car starting battery when off, and charges when on, and a smart DC-DC PSU for the PC.
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Adding my 2 cents I purchased a second wire harness and attached it to a PC power supply I had laying around. When I need to make large updates, tweaks, transfer songs, etc I run out an extension cord. Granted, the audio doesn't work as my amp isn't powered up but ... you get the picture.

Comment

Just install another battery in the car. I have a 12v 7ah sealed battery under the hood. I have a relay between the main battery and it. If the key is off, the relay is off, that disconnects the main battery from the sound and computer system. If its left on or trickles dead, turn the key on, power is back, backup battery recharges.

Multiple relays or a large relay will be required for heavy duty audio/computer systems over 30ah of draw.
                        Age: 18 | Car: Isuzu Rodeo 01 | http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...s-eee-box.html

Comment

It's possible to specify that the pc should shut down in xx minutes or something of the sort. You could possibly use this to leave it running long enough to sync.

Comment

wow really negative rep wonderful guys thanks for the warm welcome.

Comment

Working...
                            X