Acer Aspire Revo or fit-PC2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer Aspire Revo or fit-PC2

Hey folks. So I've been using a Compaq D51u for my carputer the last year, and I thought I might like to upgrade to something smaller and easier to manage. We all know about the mini-itx and that jazz, but how about going one step further?

Has anyone considered either the Acer Aspire Revo or fit-PC2 as a carputer? The specs on the Acer are a 1.6ghz Intel Atom 230 processor, 2-4GB of DDR2 Soddim ram, and of course the infused Nvidia Ion GPU. Sexy little unit.
    http://aceraspirerevo.com/specifications/

The fit-PC2 has an optional 1.1 Intel Atom Z510 or 1.6ghz Intel AtomZ530 processor, 1GB DDR2 hard-wired to the board, and Intel GMA500 graphics.
    http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?ti...Specifications

So does anyone have any thoughts or input on these two little up and coming nettops?
    Saab 93 Carputer
    Comaq D51u, M1-ATX... all the goodies.
    HQCT AM/FM, BT, WIFI, and CANBUS

I have been looking towards the Acer Revo for a couple of weeks now, I love the design and the fact that it runs the nVidia ION chipset I think it would make a great multimedia system especially for HD movies and such. One thing I haven't yet found out though - it says it has an external power brick, does anyone know if this is runs on 12v? If it takes a 12v input without using the mains power brick it would be pretty good for hooking up in a car but admittedly I haven't done enough research on this yet.

I didn't know there was a fit-PC2, I did see the fit-PC slim a few months back and it looks quite promising for some other uses I've been thinking of.

Has anyone else got any thoughts of using either of these as a car pc?

Comment

I am using the Acer Inspire Revo. But I got the one with dual core Atom 330.

Runs everything perfect. Have it hooked up to a External Usb Blu-ray and I play HD files with ease. It's a little slow opening multiple programs but that is to be expected running Vista. LOL

I would not recommend the single core 230, it has got less than stellar reviews.

I will be doing a Completed Project write up this week.
      My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Thanks for the reply Hailraiser.

Do you have any experience with running Windows 7? I was thinking about maybe putting 7 on it when it is released next month as from my current experience 7 seems to run very well on low spec systems so it should fly on a dual core. I haven't tested yet but if I have any problems I think it would probably be just touch screen drivers (hopefully the XP drivers will work fine, or it will be plug 'n play).

I think I've definitely got my mind set on the Revo now to use in my car.

Hailraiser, could you confirm is the power input on the Revo 12 volt? I would also be interested to see your project write-up too when it is completed.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy75 View Post

Hailraiser, could you confirm is the power input on the Revo 12 volt? I would also be interested to see your project write-up too when it is completed.
          Sorry no Windows 7 experience at all.

And no the input is 19v. So you will need a Power Supply. I used the Carnetix P1900. Seems to work fine. But you do have to open the Revo up and solder a set of wires to the power switch. Which is really easy because the power switch is on a pop off separate module.

Comment

Cool thanks for the info. I think to start off with I'll just use an Inverter to power it until I can afford the for a Carnetix Power Supply.

I see the P1900 has a shutdown controller built in, does this work with the Revo if the pins are soldered as you suggested? Can it standby/hibernate the pc or just shutdown? (I can imagine if it connects to the power switch I could just change the settings in control panel to make it standby)

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy75 View Post
              Cool thanks for the info. I think to start off with I'll just use an Inverter to power it until I can afford the for a Carnetix Power Supply.

I see the P1900 has a shutdown controller built in, does this work with the Revo if the pins are soldered as you suggested? Can it standby/hibernate the pc or just shutdown? (I can imagine if it connects to the power switch I could just change the settings in control panel to make it standby)

Thanks
              Yes that is how it works. The Carnetix sends the signal triggering the on/off switch. Then you set Windows up and tell it what to do when the on/off switch is pushed. Hibernate/standby/shut down, etc.

Comment

hailrazer do u know how much watt the acer revo 330 use?

Comment

@hailrazer

Just curious, I looked over your worklog (nice work btw) -- but where do you use the revo?

Do you have any worklog photos of that, or are you able to snap off a few shots for us looking into getting the revo?

Thanks boss.

Comment

Originally posted by house98 View Post
                    @hailrazer

Just curious, I looked over your worklog (nice work btw) -- but where do you use the revo?

Do you have any worklog photos of that, or are you able to snap off a few shots for us looking into getting the revo?

Thanks boss.
                    The Revo is in my 08 Kia Sorento. I have been REALLY busy and haven't had a chance to do a Finished Showcase yet. I'm mostly finished with it , just need to put in a switch or two, etc.

The Revo is working great. The only problems I have had is shutdown sometimes doesn't work properly and I get the Windows didn't shutdown properly screen. Other than that it's fine.

Comment

i'd vote the revo dual core. fit pc is nice, but too under powered.

Comment

I guess if you're using the Revo as a carPC, you are able to remove the stand. Is that correct? Too bad the shape is a parallelogram rather than a perfect square.

Comment

@hailrazer,
                          how long have you had the revo? I am interested in picking one up too ..but i was worried about the power supply and so forth.. I don't know how to solder and an extreme newb when it comes to the carpc. I've thought about doing the dc adapter for laptops but afraid of the shut down process..

Any contribution is helpful!! didn't mean to thread jack.. i google'd this and exactly what I wanted to know..

Comment

Hailrazer,
                            I'm actually looking at the r3600 as an option for my car and would apprciate it if you could provide some more detail and/or pictures of what you did to use the carnetix supply, and how you've got the revo setup to power on/off.
                            I'm looking at the r3600 version with Linux (I can upgrade to xp pro myself) and a 250gb drive for about $280 shipped.

I'd appreciate the input.

Comment

HI just about to embark on installing a revo into my car was wondering if there are any other PSU options avalibale other than the CarNetix CNX-P1900

Cheers any help apreciated

Comment

Working...
                              X