No announcement yet.

Where can I get USB socket dust covers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get USB socket dust covers?

Morning all,

I finally fitted two USB sockets to my dash for easy access. Ideally I'd like to protect the sockets from dust and stuff, and have the added benefit of hiding the shiney metal.

Could anyone point me in the direction of where I may be able to get USB socket dust covers?

Scouse Monkey has already suggested black RTV silicone to make one (thanks Scouse ) but ideally I'd like a preformed cover.....

Thanks,
    Dave
    Vauxhall Astra SXi Car PC installed.

here you go soemething that we use for wireless communication, but its USB anyway and its mad cheap (well shipping is more expansice then product itself)

http://www.bestbyteinc.com/CBL-USB-CAPA.html
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin
    3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

Originally posted by tempgp View Post
      here you go soemething that we use for wireless communication, but its USB anyway and its mad cheap (well shipping is more expansice then product itself)

http://www.bestbyteinc.com/CBL-USB-CAPA.html
      Cheers fella,

However, I getting no images come up from that site in IE7 or FireFox. Is this the male or female cap? I'm after a cap for the socket i.e. female. As I'm getting no images I'd really appreciate your (or anyones) feedback to whether male or female.

Thanks,
      Dave

Comment

What tempgp reffed to where for a USB A female socket.

head over to www.digikey.com and do a search for "USB dust cover".. you'll find for mini-USB USB-A/B and such.

Comment

DigiKey only have Amphenol connectors and they through wire covers, so sometimes they not good if you have USB mounted in the pannel =)

The site i recommended had both A and B versions, you can browse around. Essentually they where L-Com connectors. Here is the link to manufacturer catalog: http://www.l-com.com/search.aspx?q='...'&join=All
          3D Tuning and Car Visualizer - Preview your car in 3D, change paint job and rims

Comment

Originally posted by Davefocus View Post
            Cheers fella,

However, I getting no images come up from that site in IE7 or FireFox. Is this the male or female cap? I'm after a cap for the socket i.e. female. As I'm getting no images I'd really appreciate your (or anyones) feedback to whether male or female.

Thanks,
            Dave
            The caps from http://www.bestbyteinc.com/CBL-USB-CAPA.html are for female sockets. They look like a black rubber usb male connector with a pyramid shape sticking out to give you something to grab onto to pull it out of the socket. No bigger than those new tiny bluetooth adapters or wireless mouse receivers. $0.95 each - they're exactly what the OP was looking for.

CarPC v2.5 up and running - all hardware installed, skin configured, and iG tweaked like crazy. Now for OBD-II, and voice control, and camera plugin, and... :nutz: - it never ends!

Comment

Originally posted by cMags View Post
              The caps from http://www.bestbyteinc.com/CBL-USB-CAPA.html are for female sockets. They look like a black rubber usb male connector with a pyramid shape sticking out to give you something to grab onto to pull it out of the socket. No bigger than those new tiny bluetooth adapters or wireless mouse receivers. $0.95 each - they're exactly what the OP was looking for.
              Thanks cMags. Only problem is postage - they want $17......

I'm looking for a UK based supplier - fingers crossed!

Cheers,
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Davefocus View Post
                Thanks cMags. Only problem is postage - they want $17......

I'm looking for a UK based supplier - fingers crossed!

Cheers,
                Dave
                $17??? Damn. Just throw a stamp on the damn things and mail it! Sorry, guess that won't work. LOL

CarPC v2.5 up and running - all hardware installed, skin configured, and iG tweaked like crazy. Now for OBD-II, and voice control, and camera plugin, and... :nutz: - it never ends!

Comment

how many u need? and how fast?
                  We gona do a PO w/ Lcom maube somewhere at the end of the month I can buy extra set of covers for you and mail them in regular Par Avia envelop that would cost like $1.20 for postage. But I cant buy them now caz Lcom has minimum order restrctions and i have no need of bying $1000 worth of rubber covers =)

Comment

found a website where you can buy single covers. http://www.topicovers.com/products/usb-port-cover-sleek

Just wonder if anyone thinks the red color is really too bright? I think its kind of funky. Considering getting multi colored just for fun.

Comment

you can always paint them

Comment

LOL... so maybe I should just buy all white ones and paint them whatever color I want?

Comment

grey is more universal color for painting

Comment

Working...
                          X