Grounding the setup, advice please!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounding the setup, advice please!

In the past my setup has been plagued by engine noise in the setup, forcing me to have to use a ground loop isolator on all channels. In an effort to stop this issue, I am redoing the electrical for the "Big 3" and have upgraded the wire going to the PC from 8 gauge to 4 gauge. One thing I think it may be is main PC. Its a custom case that sits in the middle of the car seat frame. How would I ground that unit? Is it as simple as simply adding a wire to one of the legs that the MoBo sits on, and connecting that to the frame of the car? Should I also do the same thing for the PSU? I figured the PSU is ok since its grounded via the power wires.

Also with my new addition to the back, The six PC units are all in a metal frame, I was thinking off simply connecting a ground wire to that frame and running it to a ground point. That should work right?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

isn't your metal case for both your main pc and the other units bolted down to the metal chassis?

if they are, they should already be grounded through the bolting points, using wire to ground any of it will not really do anything, but maybe give you peace of mind, and add extra wire and cost to the build.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

grounding the mobo screws is equivalent to grounding your pc case, whichever is easier for you. The only issue with this: your case is now a hot ground, very easy to get a short with any loose wire. Though this sometimes solve the noise problems, I rarely find that it does. I've better success with high quality USB DAC, BIG 3 upgrades, and these always seem to work for me. http://www.smarthome.com/4834/20-Amp...ter-XPF/p.aspx (there cheaper versions out there that does the same thing).

Comment

Originally posted by Punky View Post
        grounding the mobo screws is equivalent to grounding your pc case, whichever is easier for you. The only issue with this: your case is now a hot ground, very easy to get a short with any loose wire. Though this sometimes solve the noise problems, I rarely find that it does. I've better success with high quality USB DAC, BIG 3 upgrades, and these always seem to work for me. http://www.smarthome.com/4834/20-Amp...ter-XPF/p.aspx (there cheaper versions out there that does the same thing).
        it's possible to have a hot ground? Like over grounding?

Let me ask this: the PS inside the pc has 3-wires: constant +, switch + and negative. I take the negative and attatchit to the floor bolt of the passenger seat for grounding. I then take the pc case and ground it to the same bolt. Is this consider hot grounding?
        CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
        Atom - 1.8ghz
        2GB Ram
        32GB SSD
        8" TouchScreen
        5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
        Car Hacking
        WorkBlog
        Video

Comment

'overgrounding' will be ok, as long as all the components that you are excessivly grounding are grounded to the same point. having a separate ground location for each device could cause problems though.

bear in mind that this is strictly speaking of grounding the computer-there is not any dissadvantage of having the computer grounded to one point, and all your car amps grounded to another. just make sure that the computer components are grounded in the same location.

it is possible taht you might get noise issues in any setup, and the best way to fix it is to do the install as securly as possible, and if noise problems arise, then trouble shoot...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

Comment

ah thanks. I was considering (over) grounding everything to the same location. THis gives me a piece of mind.
            (I shouldn't really say "overgrounding" as that sounds like a bad thing which in this case it isn't).

THank you
            CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
            Atom - 1.8ghz
            2GB Ram
            32GB SSD
            8" TouchScreen
            5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
            Car Hacking
            WorkBlog
            Video

Comment

I grounded the case also. I simply took 8 gauge wire, connected terminals then bent the terminals to hold onto the case, then soldered. The other end I attaced to a seat bolt. Havent been able to test but I am sure its fine.

On the bottom of the photo you see the red wire attaching to the seat bolt. If you follow it you see it goes to the side of the case, where it is soldered.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
              X