Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mouse-Scroll-Wheel Hook-Up

Hi,

I was wondering about the scroll-wheel from a mouse.
    As I want to use the markus zehnder plugin (which has a nice option to 'scroll' through the playlists and numbers in a playlist)
    I want to use the wheel from a mouse to do this.

In the plugin the Keys 8 and 2 of the keypad have the following functions:
    • when just playing, and no menu selected it controls the volume of the computer
    • when a menu-item is selected the keys are used to scroll the menu's

Now I ripped out the wheel of an old dead mouse, and I'm trying to implement this.

There are 3 wires coming off the wheel (black, yellow and red)
    But when I test the wheel with a continuity-meter and I scroll the wheel it gives me 2 'contacts'.

So I guess there's some kind of controller which decides in which order the contacts are coming in, and then decides if you wanted to scroll down or up..

Does anyone know how to get around this, or how to hook it up the way I wanted it ?

Thanks in Advance,
    Greetz
    Raas - The Netherlands
    ME: VIA epia m10000, lilliput 7', opus 150w, 80gb<br>
    GF: IBM Thinkpad 380, ext. 3.5 80gb, 40x4, PB-IR

But when I test the wheel with a continuity-meter and I scroll the wheel it gives me 2 'contacts'.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Could you elaborate on how you tested this.

I'm not positive about this since I've never hacked up a mouse before but I'd imagine that it's sort of like a three position toggle. In that when you scroll one way a contact is made between a center (common) wire and one outer wire, and when you scroll the other way the connection is made between the common and the other outer wire. This would explain the 3 wires you mentioned. It may be more involved than that though. If this is how it seems to test when you check it with your meter then you could try and do a keyboard hack connecting the wires from the scroll wheel to the appropriate pins on your keyboard's control IC. Hope this helps some, if not post more details about how the scroll wheel tests.

Comment

It may be easier to just pull the guts out of the mouse and use it as a whole. Odds are there is a microcontroller that runs the scroll wheel.
      Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
      Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
      "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Thanks for the info you guys..

Sorry for giving too little info..

I will see if I can do something with it this weekend, (hook it up to a keyboard or something. )
        And lets see if I can get my (crappy) webcam to work, than at least I can show you guys what I mean.

Anyway, thanks
        Greetz
        Raas - The Netherlands

Comment

The contacts are usually 2 bit gray code. Rotating one way will give you:

etc

And rotating the other way will give you the reverse:

etc. A microcontroller figures out which direction from the codes.

Rob
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Rob,

You could be right about this, there's this 'blade' with some kind of pattern on it. This 'blade' slides along the 3 pins (which is one ground and 2 'signal')

For each 'click' up or down, the blade moves along the pins and would come up with something that you wrote..

I think this isn't just that simple to do, so I think I will give up on this, and look again, after I finished the box...
            First thing to do is to make the box play mp3s.. Next things are improvements.. (and I think, some 'srollable' wheel thing would be a big improvement.)

Thanks for the information !!!!
            Greetz
            Raas - The Netherlands

Comment

Hey Raas - sounds like you're back to the same problem I had with my jog-dial, after all. From what you and Rob said, it looks like the wheel works just like any rotary encoder. Check my web page for an explanation:
              http://www.astron.nl/~smirnov/jogdial.html
              Custom Linux system on an '89 VW GTI 16V Edition One
              Jogdial volume control, Sony joystick, IR remote...
              Used to be the fastest Linux on the road, until all these NOS types came along...

Comment

Hoi Mark

can't u use a (don't know in English) Tuimelschakelaar on/off/on
                and conect the 8 to 1end and the 2 to the other end and the middle as commen?
                so u can scrool/tipping throw the list.
                That's what i'm going to do, if i get my lcd from EIO(4x40).
                Peter3
                PETER - THE NETHERLANDS - DEVENTER
                sproggy 2.8,epia c3-800,20Gb 2.5", 5.6"lcd,touchscreen.

Comment

hmmm.. that's an idea.. (tuimelschakelaar.)

Will look into it..
                  OMS... I'll see what I can do with your page.

Greetzz
                  Raas - The Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                  X