Digital video camera -> PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital video camera -> PC

Hey all, been a while since i posted, but here goes.

Just a quick query, I understand this is a borad question, but i'm after a general answer.

Generally, do you need a video capture card to get video footage from a Digital video camera onto your PC? or do they usually have a USB or similar interface?

Thanks for the help.
    hornet
    http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
    Australian mp3car Portal
    mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
    mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
    -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

No. Normally they have a firewire interface.
    Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
    Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
    "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

most of those digital video cameras either use usb or firewire. They also have composite out.
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I was under the impression that you wouldn't need a video capture card, that that it could be transfered digitally to a PC, but my mate (whos mum had the digital vid camera) says that it can't be done. I'll look further into it.

again, thanks
        http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
        Australian mp3car Portal
        mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
        mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
        -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

Well my dad has a sony camera and it uses usb for pictures only, and firewire for transferring recordings to the computer. I believe he cannot connect the camera to the firewire and see live video on his computer.

As far a s I know you should best go to a dealer and ask for information on this, because itís camera specific.

Greetz, Jospfh
          Free circuit designs at www.circuitdb.com!

Comment

If we are talking about a "real" digital video camera, you can go directly from the camera to the PC via firewire.
            Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
            Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
            "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
            X