Which MCS PC???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which MCS PC???

1.3GHz Ultra Low Power Fanless PC vs Complete 4th Generation 1.6GHz Dual Core Car Computer

I thinking about getting one of these which do you think will work best for my next setup? Porsche Boxster S. placement would be under the passenger seat. I like the concept of the fanless pc but the ram is max at 1gb while the dual core is max at 2. I plan to use itunes so it a hog of a app. plus say a 100gb of music.

My first carputer was a middle of the road laptop. so this is a new road for me.
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Boxster S

For the price, you get more bang for the buck with the dual core. I just purchased one and have thus far been VERY happy with it. To be honest the only reason I can see for going fanless is if your car is super slient (which the Porche is not :P), or you need very low power.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

can you hear your fans? where is the pc location? how does itunes perform (coverflow)?
      2001 Boxster S
      2003 Boxster S

Comment

I can only hear the fans when the car is off, and only when my music isn't playing. The PC is under the passenger seat, but I can't attest to how it runs itunes, as I don't use it. If I recall correctly itunes tends to use a good amount of resources, so you are best off with a better performing computer.
        "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
        RevFE
        My Shop

Comment

1.6GHz Dual Core Car Computer???

what are some of the pros and cons of the Complete 4th Generation 1.6GHz Dual Core Car Computer?
          2001 Boxster S
          2003 Boxster S

Comment

You're asking pre-sales questions.
            These are the questions you need to be asking of the people from whom you are considering purchasing.

The biggest advantage is the dual-core processor in the 4th Gen.
            The dualcore Atom is light years ahead of the C7 in terms of processing horsepower.

In my mind, the 4th-Gen is an absolute no-brainer.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

yes i just read a review on the 330 atom. i ask pros and cons b/c everybody has different setups. based on there setups they will encounter didnt problems and thats what i'm looking for. i know the atom 330 is good but can i run itunes in coverflow with 50gb or 100gb of music, that i dont.
              2001 Boxster S
              2003 Boxster S

Comment

I'm running an Atom 330 jetway with itunes. I'm running it embedded in roadrunner. I have itunes. iguidance and an engine management program all running at the same time and the cpu is barely working. I don't use cover flow but I just tried it and it works fine.

I highly recommend the 330.

Derek

Comment

thanks for the info. very excited about that. i didn't know road runner could use itunes for its media player. i'm downloading it onto one of my laptops now for testing. I will be running the same setup as you Derek.

one last question Derek. how many gb of music do you have associated.
                  2001 Boxster S
                  2003 Boxster S

Comment

Originally posted by Bigseven74 View Post
                    thanks for the info. very excited about that. i didn't know road runner could use itunes for its media player. i'm downloading it onto one of my laptops now for testing. I will be running the same setup as you Derek.

one last question Derek. how many gb of music do you have associated.
                    I only have 16GB of music.
                    Itunes can be a real challenge to run in road runner. I'm using the hack that witte_swe came up with. Although I believe there is an official plug in available now. Both methods only give you basic control over play,pause and next track controls. I only work with play lists in itunes as it's impossible to select an artist while driving. I just did this http://mysite.verizon.net/teridon/it...cks/index.html which allows you to specify what size the fonts are. That made a huge (pun intended) difference.

I have an iphone as well and if I'm going on a road trip I just set up an ad hoc connection and use remote to control itunes. Works really well.

I know all the developer types on this board hate itunes but for basic end users like myself it really works well. By using a faster motherboard I have no problems running it at all.

Derek

Comment

Working...
                    X