Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea about EZ-Pass not sure how to do or if its possible...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea about EZ-Pass not sure how to do or if its possible...

I drive alot for work and often go through toll roads to get to and from client sites. I have an EZ-Pass to make it easier and i can pull my tolls off the website to expense them but I would like it is I could have a way to track all my tolls on my car pc. My thought is something like this:

If it is Mon-Friday and between 8-6(Or whatever hours are set)
    - Flash Screen that Toll Has Been Paid(How much if possible)
    - Add Toll to a csv file that is labeled by month
    - Keep a running tally or monthly tolls

I am sure there might be some other thoughts on how to implement this. If anyone has any idea how to interface with the EZ-Pass that would be great.

I believe that there is a plug-in for RR that does GPS events. If you specify the toll locations, you may be able to trigger an event when you pass that point. Thread is here.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I dont own or use ezpass or the ETR transponder, but does it actually have a PC interface? Or are you meaning once it happens, your PC would connect to some internet account and pull that info from there?
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

As far as I know there is not a PC interface for it. I don't actually know the technical details behind it. I know there is a RFID transmitter that is activated to charge your account when you pass through the toll booth. I would assume you would need some sort of hardware device attached to a PC to recognize the signal. I dont always have my internet connected since I use my phone to tether so connecting to the website would not work as well, plus I think it is a little delayed.

The GPS is an interesting idea except I travel all over the midatlantic and dont do it consistently so it wold probably take me a year or two just to hit all the places once. I did some quick searches for the toll plaza gps locations and found some for the northeast that can be imported into your GPS program so that might be an option, although it would not be connected to the EZpass it might still do what I was thinking.

All the creativity on here I thought there might be some thoughts on other things to do if an interface was found.

Comment

"The EZ-Pass transponder works by listening for a signal broadcast by the reader stationed at the toll booth. This 915 MHz signal is sent at 500kbps using the IAG protocol in 256-bit packets. Transponders use active Type II read/write technology. This system is proprietary to Mark IV Industries.[17]
          The next generation of automated toll collection systems will be more open and likely to based on the 802.11p specification currently in development. [18]"

This link shows a transponder with driver feedback - a light and sound. If you connect it to a fusion brain, it will record each time it activates. A simple comparison of GPS position and a lookup table would allow it to find the toll. You could even have it pop up a keypad for entry if the toll location was not found.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Working...
          X