Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the distance of a wire matter in this case.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the distance of a wire matter in this case.....

I am attempting to power a 7port usb hub from the molex of my power supply.

I have a dsatx which states that it can provide up to 12amps on the 5v line.

My pc is in the trunk, i want to run a wire to the front behind my car radio.
    With the wire being run underneath the seats, behind some paneling etc, the length of the wire will approx be 16 feet.

Will this have any effect on efficiently powering the hub?
    I want to connect a dvd burner(requires two usb ports) gps, usb extender(to power ipods, external HDDs) , odb-II and my joyCon PC.
    trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

shouldn't be a problem, if you wanna be sure use a bit larger cable, but even with small cable it should be OK.

Comment

thank you.
      i will give it a try.
      now i need to settle on a GOOD 7port hub.
      any recommendations?
      trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Pointed out by another member, i never personally used it, but i would if i need to.
        You should google it just to make sure there's no issue with it.
        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/gene...29-99-a-2.html

Comment

another question...

if i attempt to connect external hdd's to all 7 ports...
          i know they would probably require the full 500mA : making it a total of 3.5amps
          ...i am powering the amp from the 5v rail from the dsatx; which can supply up to 12amps nominal and 13amps peak.

the power supply that comes with the usb hub provides current up to 2.6amps

my question is : would the usb device draw the extra current directly from the 5v rail or is it maxed out @ the 2.6amps?

this is the hub:
          http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
          trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

why do you need to connect 7 external hdds? i really think that is over doing it, and you should get one or two larger capacity external drives.

so with a total load of 3.5 amps, and the power supply only going up to 2.6 amps, i would say no, the hub is not designed to run with that much power going through it, so you would not be able to run all 7 at the same time.
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
              why do you need to connect 7 external hdds? i really think that is over doing it, and you should get one or two larger capacity external drives.

so with a total load of 3.5 amps, and the power supply only going up to 2.6 amps, i would say no, the hub is not designed to run with that much power going through it, so you would not be able to run all 7 at the same time.

i honestly will not be using 7 external hdd's lol
              i just wanted to make sure i have enough current to efficiently provide power to any device i connect to the hub.

in reality i will have gps, odb-ii, verizon mifi , joycon pc, dvd burner (uses 2 ports), ipods
              and other small stuff connected.

i am MOSTLY concerned about the dvd burner.
              i dont want to spend money on a hub and burner to find out it's being underpowered and wont work.
              trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

OK I;m a bit confused.

If you are wiring the Usb hub directly to the 5v line on the dsatx then the dsatx will power all 7 devices just fine. Since you will NOT be using the included power adapter it really doesn't matter how many amps it puts out.

Or did I miss something?
                My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Originally posted by hailrazer View Post
                  OK I;m a bit confused.

If you are wiring the Usb hub directly to the 5v line on the dsatx then the dsatx will power all 7 devices just fine. Since you will NOT be using the included power adapter it really doesn't matter how many amps it puts out.

Or did I miss something?
                  you did not miss anything.
                  you are quite correct.

my concern was if the hub is able to sustain a current draw of up to 3.5amps without damage to the hub itself.
                  trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Originally posted by trinybwoy View Post
                    you did not miss anything.
                    you are quite correct.

my concern was if the hub is able to sustain a current draw of up to 3.5amps without damage to the hub itself.
                    It will only pull the amps that it needs, you can't force current into it, it draws what it needs from the power source. So no it won't damage it.

Comment

OK I;m a bit confused.

Or did I miss something?
                      Actually yes you did...power adapters are sized for the circuitry inside the usb hub....theres a reason they limit the amperage to each port and pick a power adapter suited for the total-and take this from an electrical engineer-you don't want to find out what happens when the limit is exceeded.

For the question at hand though....only issue you might run into is electrical noise with a run that size...which may or may not be a problem depending on whats plugged into the hub.
                      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                      - Always Recruiting Developers -
                      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Please note, that usb hub i pointed out is a 12V hub! not 5V so you'll need to connect it to the 12V rail instead. It should be fine having all 7 port hooked up, though i'd be worry if it actually was 7 external HD, other than that it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

It will only pull the amps that it needs, you can't force current into it, it draws what it needs from the power source. So no it won't damage it.
                          oh excellent!
                          i hope all this theory works out in reality lol
                          trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                            Actually yes you did...power adapters are sized for the circuitry inside the usb hub....theres a reason they limit the amperage to each port and pick a power adapter suited for the total-and take this from an electrical engineer-you don't want to find out what happens when the limit is exceeded.

Totally wrong. You can power any 12v item with a car battery at 900a and not blow it up. An electronic item will only pull the amount of current it needs from the batter or power source.

If you under power it though it can make a device not work properly. Also if you put to many volts through it you will see smoke.

And they pick a power adapter that is rated slightly over what they need for differences in device tolerance and because the smaller the power adapter the cheaper it is

Comment

Originally posted by Punky View Post
                              Please note, that usb hub i pointed out is a 12V hub! not 5V so you'll need to connect it to the 12V rail instead. It should be fine having all 7 port hooked up, though i'd be worry if it actually was 7 external HD, other than that it shouldn't be a problem.
                              It says that the power supply supplies 5v not 12v on the product page of the one he linked to.

Comment

Working...
                              X