Head unit access to Music Library

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head unit access to Music Library

There are a lot of Head units that have USB ports that enable them to access music files from a USB stick or mp3 player. Is it possible to plug a PC in to this port and have it search a specific directory so that it will play music files from the PC?

This could be useful for many reasons and could eventually allow you to control your PC from your head unit.
    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Hmm, I'm not sure if you can trick your PC usb ports into being slave devices, but if you could, and make it look like a mass storage device that would certainly work.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

Comment

i have always wondered why they dont make a UPnP capable headunit. it would have to be a wifi capable unit then too i guess though...

Comment

Considering the car audio companies want you to buy their products only (it's how they make money), having a system that would interact with hardware or systems they don't manufacture or sell would be counterproductive.

I agree it would be a great idea and open up in-car entertainment to a whole new level.
        But I wouldn't expect to see such a headunit or device from a car audio manufacturer any time soon, if ever.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i do actually... were close to someone releasing a 3g or 4g enabled headunit i think.... maybe it will even be the car companies. these flip-out lcd headunits that pioneer and the likes make would be all too perfect to run andriod or wm6 on them with a 3g connection. it truely would be an all-in-one carpc solution.

Comment

You're getting away from headunits and more into the all-in-ones that pioneer and the like already sell. Being as they are usually wince, they would be slightly easier to interface with than your standard USB jack enabled headunit.
            "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
            RevFE
            My Shop

Comment

yeah im not too up on whats available... i could never think of buying a prepackaged anything.

Comment

Theoretically this is do-able now.... If you have one of those usb-usb file transfer wires and some special software, no reason you couldn't fake a usb storage drive. I'm pretty sure all it is is a crossover cable.

But then again you could also get a bus powered 500GB external which should be able to hold most music collections.
                openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                - Always Recruiting Developers -
                Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Car2PC does this.
                  Ampie Case
                  2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                  256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                  Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                  Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                  M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                    Car2PC does this.
                    No it doesnt....re-read what hes asking
                    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                    - Always Recruiting Developers -
                    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                      No it doesnt....re-read what hes asking
                      Yes, it does, it accesses the library.
                      After re reading what he posted 6 times I was finally able to realize he wants to manipulate his library as in changing tracks, not just access it. So yes, it will do what he asked but no, it won't do what I was supposed to telephathically know what he was really asking.
                      Ampie Case
                      2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                      Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                      Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Working...
                      X