dvd roms?????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvd roms?????

hey guys, how are all of you playing DVDs in your computers? where can I but a "slim dvd" player that will work with a regular desktop motherboard?

whats the secret? your not all using regular old dvd players in the car are you? so where to buy ones that will work?

Ares,
    There are several slim dvd drives on eBay as well as some regular pioneer slot loads. There is a slot load slim dvd from the iMac that some people are using. It requires an adapter to plug in to your ide setup. Do a search here for slim dvd. That should pop up a bunch of answers to your questions. I am using a Pioneer 5 1/4" slot load dvd and a firewire adapter setup.

- Jeff
    95 Mustang GT Convertible
    87 Mustang GT Convertible
    My Project | Let's Go Mets! | SCT Tuners

Project Status [===#===] [Bezel and dash creation]

Comment

yeah you can easily buy a slim dvd drive anywhere. You just need a dvd to IDe adapter.

One thing, get higher then 4x. My old drive does not run smoothly.
      Mine needs to be updated.

Comment

the adapter you need is to hook up the laptop connector to idea.. if you see the drive or the adapter you'll understand better, the information is all in the forums, you'll find it if you look.
        aka Kumaneko
        "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
        Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
        mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
        Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

well I did search, but became only more confused...

Specifications
          Mfr Part Number: LSD-081
          Speed: DVD-ROM 8X (10800KB/sec) CAV (3.4X~8X) / CD-ROM 24X (3600KB/sec) CAV (10.6X~24X)
          Interface: ATAPI-JAE
          Burst Transfer Rate: Support up to Ultra-DMA Mode 2 (33.3 MB/sec)
          Access Time: 160ms (typical)
          Support Hot Plug & Plug & Play
          W/Software
          Bulk Package

I found that... here http://www.knowledgemicro.com/detail...ame=DVD-LSD081

but the atapi JAE, that isnt the right connector, so where can I get a adapter for it? and is that the slim drive I need?

Comment

on the subject of DVD drives, are there any slim design ones that read DVD-R ( recordable ). If one does put there collection of MP3's on such a disc (4.7gb) that person would want to keep the "session open" to add more music to it at a later time untill it's full. Is there any such drive out there yet in the slim design?
            Reason i ask is because some old CD ROMS couldn't read multisession disc's so i believe the same will be in older slim DVD ROMS.
            GTI - Palm IIIe controlled with Radio faceplate hack for keyboard control of WinAmp w/ Vocal Genre playlist loading.
            VW Bus - 10.4" vga lcd. Loaded with same software as above.

Comment

guys one simple question, Ive definitly located a "slim dvd" with an adaptor for 98$, its an 8xdvd.

is this going to be any more resilient to bumps in the road vs your typical dvd desktop player??? space is not an issue, so if this is not going to offer better playback I feel like Im wasting my money.

just want to double check that Im not spending so much on a dvd player for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Loftus
                on the subject of DVD drives, are there any slim design ones that read DVD-R ( recordable ). If one does put there collection of MP3's on such a disc (4.7gb) that person would want to keep the "session open" to add more music to it at a later time untill it's full. Is there any such drive out there yet in the slim design?
                Reason i ask is because some old CD ROMS couldn't read multisession disc's so i believe the same will be in older slim DVD ROMS.
                The famous iMac drives (SR-8186) can read DVD-R according to http://www.mke.panasonic.co.jp/device/dvd/dvd_8186.htm

jason

Comment

no one can say if a slim drive can withstand bumps better than a standard DVD drive?

come on, help a fella out, its the last thing I need, the car is in peices waiting for the final component. just need to decicide if a slim drive is worth its cost or not.

Comment

well.. these slim drives are used in laptops, and laptops are more mobile than standard computers, so I'm guessing they can?

Comment

yeah slim drive is the way to go. Less moving parts that desktop ones, so less parts to get shaken loose. works almost like a portable cdplayer. don't think u need to worry bout it skipping much if you have enough memory.

Comment

do explain alpha, please. I have 512mb of memory, so I think Im pretty solid on that front. either way, Im gonna use a regular DVD at first. I have one lying around, and havent ordered the slim drive yet, so I gotta load software somehow. so Ill give the regular a shot, nothing to lose.

but is there something I should be doing to "buffer" it with the memory?

Comment

Working...
                        X