Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PING! Ultrasonic sensor?

Hi peoples.

I just stumbled across this while randomly looking at Arduino projects for ideas.

Parallax PING)))

Is there any reason why people aren't using these for backup sensors instead of the Automotive-specific ones? They look to be a lot cheaper, then you can interface them any way you want.
    I suppose the only possibly issue is weatherproofing. I don't think the Ping has any sort of weatherproofing, and I'm not sure if you can cover up the sensor without messing with the reading.

Anyway, just thought I'd share with everyone. The link I found, the guy had installed one in his garage, so his wife could park without dropping the garage door on the car. Cooler than the old tennis ball on a string trick.

Cheers,

Kris
    How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Originally posted by Superduck View Post
    Hi peoples.

I just stumbled across this while randomly looking at Arduino projects for ideas.

Parallax PING)))

Is there any reason why people aren't using these for backup sensors instead of the Automotive-specific ones? They look to be a lot cheaper, then you can interface them any way you want.
    I suppose the only possibly issue is weatherproofing. I don't think the Ping has any sort of weatherproofing, and I'm not sure if you can cover up the sensor without messing with the reading.
    it would really need to weather proofed from the factory-- being that it is a high freqency speaker and mic, it might be possible to find a material that allows them to still read distance, but it would take some advanced science to figure out wich materials would work.

Originally posted by Superduck View Post
    Anyway, just thought I'd share with everyone. The link I found, the guy had installed one in his garage, so his wife could park without dropping the garage door on the car. Cooler than the old tennis ball on a string trick.

Cheers,

Kris
    i use wooden 4x4's that were discarded at truckyards and jobsites to stop the wheels-- its free, and doesn't create spots on the windshield.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

the fusion brain guys have been selling ultrasonic sensors for years. I've always wanted to buy one but i wasnt sure how i could implement it reliably
      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I had some experience with the ping sensors for a school project on making a remote control car autonomous. besides the whole weatherproofing issue, the Ping sensors worked quite well.

Comment

Working...
        X