Trying to extend a usb cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to extend a usb cable

im trying to make/extend a usb cable that has the mother board pins on the one end, and a female usb A on the other. im trying to hook up a portable hdd to transfer movies and music and such while on the go, but the hdd has the software and such that wont be recognized unless pluged into a usb that is directly pluged to the mother board. ive tried extensions and hubs.. never a powered hub, but i figure its the same deal considering the extension is just an extra wire tha tsuplies the same conection.(i hope thats rite)
    but i already got wire and hooked it up red to red, black to black, green to green, and white to white. and when i plug the hdd in it turns on i see the light, but the computer still does not recognize it. i plugged it into the shorter usb end and it pops right up. i pluged my psp into the extended one and it pops right up. but the hdd nothing. does anyone know how i could solve this problem.
    My name is Ryan and im a CarPC....

Check out my post 94 Cadillac Seville

If your in Oregon hit me up. lets get a meet going. or let me know of any.

How long are you trying to make the cable. There is a limit of 5 meters, or 16' 5" due to timing and echo issues.
    CAR: 2007 G35 Sport Coupe 5AT
    HARDWARE: Dell D630 w/ dock, internal 80G HD, internal 320G HD, Verizon Wireless Card, iBlue GM-2 GPS w/iGuidance, OBDPros w/DashCommand, Visteon HD Radio w/ Home Made Cable, Current Version of RR w/ DFX Skin. My Install.

Comment

If I read you correctly you have never tried a powered hub and the HDD you are using is powered via the USB lead. If not then ignore the following.

There are a number of motherboards with USB ports that will not or only marginally power a HDD from USB socket. Changing the length of the USB lead will make all the difference; short one works, slightly longer, no go. Either make a heavy duty USB cable or use a powered hub with a short lead from the hub to the drive. Powered hub is the preferred method.
      Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

no I have not tried a powered hub yet, the problem is that my pc is in the trunk and I want the hdd to plug in the front next to the driver seat... so I need tooo have the hub/cable reach 15ft.

How would ii make a heavy duty cable, or if I hook the powered hub to an extension will it still work.
        My name is Ryan and im a CarPC....

Check out my post 94 Cadillac Seville

If your in Oregon hit me up. lets get a meet going. or let me know of any.

Comment

Cat5

I installed my car computer in a full size van. So the display sits on top of the dog house and the PC itself is installed under the rear-most bench seat. My point, I ran into the problem of wires and cables comming up too short and I have used old lengths of CAT5 to splice into the USB cables etc. I have not had a problem since. Hope this may help...

Comment

Originally posted by migitcheetah View Post
            so I need tooo have the hub/cable reach 15ft. How would ii make a heavy duty cable, or if I hook the powered hub to an extension will it still work.
            Your main problem is powering the HDD from USB, run your lead and put a powered hub at the end next to the HDD. There are powered HUB's around for 12v Car installs. It should work with a good quality USB lead at 15ft.

You could of also try an SSD or a really low power HDD, some work better thn others. Some external USB HDD's also have a seperate power input to overcome USB power problems when they crop up.
            Palm sized ainol MiniPC, 8" Transreflective PRO, Win10, Reverse camera, Dual 10HZ GPS RX's for Speed Display & Sat Nav, FM-DAB & Phone Modules, iDrive interface. T-Screen HVAC control, custom microcontrollers, microcode and FE.

Comment

Working...
            X