Help solving my GPS / Win7 / D945GCLF2 Problem - RESOLVED

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help solving my GPS / Win7 / D945GCLF2 Problem - RESOLVED

I've read everything I can find, tried more stuff than I can remember, and now at my wits end. It's time to beg for help. I don't need any more suggestions to do a Google search, or check GlobStat for updated drivers, or reinstall this, or that. I need someone that has a BU-353 USB GPS working on an Intel D945GCLF2 under Windows 7. Not XP, not Vista, not some other MB, or serial GPS unit.

BTW, I have several posts around here relating to this problem, but nothing has worked so far. I'm willing to admit that it's beyond my scope of expertise. If anyone has this configuration working, please contact me and we can chat about the problem and what it's going to cost me to get it working, short of buying a new system. Thanks for understanding.
    A computer helps you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history
    - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Have you tried it on a different PC (home PC, etc.)? Just to make sure it's really something with that combination.

Comment

Heya Mate, just something that came to mind - it might be possible that the USB ports on that motherboard is a little under-powered - why not test using a powered USB hub, just to make sure

Keep us posted - sorry if you have tried this already.
      F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

I haven't read your other posts, so I don't know.
        Have you gotten the latest drivers that they say work w/ Win7 from Prolific?

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Yes, the drivers are for a USB to Serial adapter. But that's all the GPS is: A serial device with a USB-to-serial adapter to allow the NMEA data to flow to the PC.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I had the previous Intel MB and upgraded to almost the same board but w/ a few more USB ports
          and I was fine w/ XP. I upgraded to Win 7 and it's running like a top, but I haven't been able to get the drivers to work. XP and Vista drivers, as well as the new ones from July don't seem to work under Win 7.

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
          Have you tried it on a different PC (home PC, etc.)? Just to make sure it's really something with that combination.
          A computer helps you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history

Comment

I had not thought of that one, but I'll start checking voltage tomorrow. I may also check the voltage on a few laptops to see how they compare. I haven't plugged in anything other than the touch screen to them so it's not like I'm drawing lots, but I'll look into it.

Originally posted by mrbean_phillip View Post
            Heya Mate, just something that came to mind - it might be possible that the USB ports on that motherboard is a little under-powered - why not test using a powered USB hub, just to make sure

Keep us posted - sorry if you have tried this already.

Comment

As I mentioned in response to Curiosity, I've had it working before on XP, so I really think it's a driver Win 7 compatibility issue. Those USB to serial drivers seem to be very fussy. Win 7 is a strong O/S now and I've been ruing it for over 7 months in BETA and Prerelease, on a couple of desktops, but the retail version came out, I loaded up on the carputer. That was the end of GPS. Since I've also found that Win 7 has a major problem w/ WiFi as well. Lots of users can't seem get it to the drivers to work. I'm a bit worried we have a similar problem w/ the USB to Serial under Win 7. I tried the Prolific drivers, but I need to check the dates on these to see if they're newer. If their the same, they didn't work. I still like Win 7, but if I can't get the USB drivers, I may have to switch to a serial GPS, assuming that works. I'll keeps you all posted. Thanks.

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
              I haven't read your other posts, so I don't know.
              Have you gotten the latest drivers that they say work w/ Win7 from Prolific?

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

Yes, the drivers are for a USB to Serial adapter. But that's all the GPS is: A serial device with a USB-to-serial adapter to allow the NMEA data to flow to the PC.

Comment

Originally posted by wmpwi View Post
                As I mentioned in response to Curiosity, I've had it working before on XP, so I really think it's a driver Win 7 compatibility issue. Those USB to serial drivers seem to be very fussy. Win 7 is a strong O/S now and I've been ruing it for over 7 months in BETA and Prerelease, on a couple of desktops, but the retail version came out, I loaded up on the carputer. That was the end of GPS. Since I've also found that Win 7 has a major problem w/ WiFi as well. Lots of users can't seem get it to the drivers to work. I'm a bit worried we have a similar problem w/ the USB to Serial under Win 7. I tried the Prolific drivers, but I need to check the dates on these to see if they're newer. If their the same, they didn't work. I still like Win 7, but if I can't get the USB drivers, I may have to switch to a serial GPS, assuming that works. I'll keeps you all posted. Thanks.
                I too have been running Win7 from the beginning, with a BU-353 and the intel Mobo, then a Gigabyte and now a Asus. I have always run the GPS with Xport. When I installed Win7 retail, most everything stopped working (GPS, OBD, WiFi, HDRadio, XMPCR, TV...I have LOTS of USB devices) and I think it has to do with the way Win7 "remembers" your comport settings:

1. Remove all your usb devices and uninstall the drivers.
                2. Add them back in, one at a time, installing and configuring the drivers as required. Start with the stuff you want most...GPS, Wifi, OBD...
                3. If something doesn't work, start fresh again and move it up one in the install sequence.

Basically your setting up the load sequence of the drivers in relation to where and when the OS recognizes them. Not particularly scientific, but it worked for me.

It's a little bit trial and error, but at this point, why not? I can almost promise you the problem isn't between the prolific driver (admittedly weak) and Win7, but in the sequence of load.

Cheers,

VegasGuy

Comment

Funny, I was just reading some of your posts on the CF forum when I was notified about your reply here. As to the driver issue, I thought that could be the problem as well, but I've uninstalled it, run CCleaner, reinstalled, still nothing.

I should mention I have only the GPS and touch screen plugged in to USBs. I thought I remembered something about a little utility that specifically purges the driver and registry settings of the Prolific drivers to get to a clean install. Do you remember seeing anything like that?

I'll try stripping out all the drivers I can and take another run at it and see what happens. Thanks.

BTW, have you played w/ CF 3.0 yet?

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                  I too have been running Win7 from the beginning, with a BU-353 and the intel Mobo, then a Gigabyte and now a Asus. I have always run the GPS with Xport. When I installed Win7 retail, most everything stopped working (GPS, OBD, WiFi, HDRadio, XMPCR, TV...I have LOTS of USB devices) and I think it has to do with the way Win7 "remembers" your comport settings:

1. Remove all your usb devices and uninstall the drivers.
                  2. Add them back in, one at a time, installing and configuring the drivers as required. Start with the stuff you want most...GPS, Wifi, OBD...
                  3. If something doesn't work, start fresh again and move it up one in the install sequence.

Basically your setting up the load sequence of the drivers in relation to where and when the OS recognizes them. Not particularly scientific, but it worked for me.

It's a little bit trial and error, but at this point, why not? I can almost promise you the problem isn't between the prolific driver (admittedly weak) and Win7, but in the sequence of load.

Cheers,

VegasGuy

Comment

I was part of the Beta test team and have it running in the car and on a couple of development machines. Sadly, I think I dorked my boot drive last night and will have to rebuild the carPC.

From a developer standpoint (mine), CF3 is very good and getting better.There are of course areas that can use some improvement, but they will come. CF has the potential to become the standard by which all other front ends are judged.

From a user standpoint, I think CF3 is an evolutionary upgrade rather than revolutionary. The focus of this version was really on establishing a solid foundation for the future rather and adding more window dressing. I think it's going to be about 6 months before they get all the kinks worked out.

I DO remember something about a prolific "cleaner" somewhere out there, but I don't remember where I saw it. If I come across it again, I'll let you know.

VegasGuy

Comment

It could be power or some other hardware issue, but that would cause a "Falied to Connect" sound and pop up the USB tree with an "Unrecognized Device." You could also see the error in event viewer. That wasn't mentioned, so I'd assume it's a problem with the driver. That would show an error in the event viewer as well (Critical/Error section, Source: Prolific USB...) and the exception code would tell why it failed. If none of the above errors can be found (and it's connected) then the driver is working.

The driver I'm using from USGlobalSat is working properly. It's showing date 10/27/2008, version 3.3.2.105 in Device Manager under Ports.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be checking the logs tomorrow as well. Didn't know there were any.

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                        It could be power or some other hardware issue, but that would cause a "Falied to Connect" sound and pop up the USB tree with an "Unrecognized Device." You could also see the error in event viewer. That wasn't mentioned, so I'd assume it's a problem with the driver. That would show an error in the event viewer as well (Critical/Error section, Source: Prolific USB...) and the exception code would tell why it failed. If none of the above errors can be found (and it's connected) then the driver is working.

The driver I'm using from USGlobalSat is working properly. It's showing date 10/27/2008, version 3.3.2.105 in Device Manager under Ports.

Comment

Every time I'm this close to buying a BU-353 there comes somebody saying it's not that good.

I'm having a Garmin gps that does not behave well after resuming from hibernation. I'm considering bluetooth GPS, but I'm concerned about batteries etc...

Hope you have yours up and running soon. Please come back with your findings.
                          Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                          Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

To be clear, when this worked (on XP) it worked well and I liked it. It's popular, and well built, but I'm having problems getting it to work with Windows 7. I'm sure there are enough people out there that have opinions as well and I'd try to make sure you sample other opinions. I think Bluetooth may have it's own set of issues as well.

Originally posted by RipplingHurst View Post
                            Every time I'm this close to buying a BU-353 there comes somebody saying it's not that good.

I'm having a Garmin gps that does not behave well after resuming from hibernation. I'm considering bluetooth GPS, but I'm concerned about batteries etc...

Hope you have yours up and running soon. Please come back with your findings.

Comment

I'm using windows 7 as well, that's when my garmin issues started. This whole USB to serial thing is retarded, if you ask me. Why it need a COM port? Mouse in the past used to use COM ports, what a mess that was. It has evolved. GPS? Not at all.

Bluetooth on the XP was messy, specially before SP2/3. Bluetooth with windows 7, is a breeze. That got me thinking...maybe this will work better now. However I got a nice GPS spot outside the car, no bluetooth waterproof so far.

I would try the Globalsat drivers first. If it work for you, I'll buy the thing. LOL
                              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                              X