Opus 150 w/ Core 2 Duo? or atom 330?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 150 w/ Core 2 Duo? or atom 330?

I'm on my 3rd carPC now and until now I've never had a need for a dual core machine in the car. Dashcommand seems to be very CPU intensive and on m10000 just won't meet the need anymore. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I thought about upgrading my carPC to something newer.

I already have newer RAM, and knowing everything else will work with a newer board already...

Does anyone have an opus 150 working with a dual caore mobo? I know the newer boards will require a p4 connector. I just though about getting a few molex to P4 converters so I can add 20+4 and a P4 connector to the powersupply.

I also thought about getting an atom 330 dual core instead of a core2duo due to its power consumption. Im not needing any HD video output just need something that will play flash skins and run dashcommand without causing my mp3's to skip.

Any thoughts?
    2011 Nissan Frontier SL
    AMD X3 2.2 | M4-ATX | 16Gb SSD | 2GB DDR3-1333 | MSI GF615M-P33 MB
    OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

im going to suggest a 45w TDP processor, and everyone else here will probably say get the atom.

Comment

Ahh, the AMD eh? well, what about the OPUS, thats my 1st concern.

What Mobo would you suggest?
      2011 Nissan Frontier SL
      OBDPROS USB | BU-303 GPS l LILLIPUT TS | Car2PC adapter | XM Direct | USB Dual band N with custom mag-mount antenna.

Comment

Well alot of people do not care about overkill, so all will say get a ATOM 330. Me on the other hand, like to think ahead, as far as what software is going to require in the future. More softwares are becoming bigger, and hungrier, that I decided to go with a quad core system. Problem is, you would have to replace the OPUS 150 with a OPUS 360. but you know your setup will not get old anytime soon.

What front end, OS, and other things will you be using? I heard on some setups CF's new transisitions arent very nice with slower systems, but should do fine on a dual core setup.

If you want a good mobo, let me find the link.... Its a ATOM 330, but with a nVidia ION chipset. I have heard these things are spectacular. The ATOMs that are 100% INTEL chipset, have this weird bug with USB based soundcards.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Heres the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BA5IHM/...SIN=B002BA5IHM
          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

you can get 45w core2duo's and even 4-core amd's in 45w flavor now. both will work just fine with 150w power supplies. desktop chips are not overkill for carpc's imo. its much more the atom chips being underpowered and most people just having the patience for them. youll hear people say they still work just as fast as anything else yadda yadda, but the atom is simply not a mainstream chip and was never meant to be. its not even about how fast or slow they seem because everyone runs different software and everyones perception is different. its about technical specifications and physical limits of the architecture. intel never even wanted people using them in desktops... it was really the retail stores that pushed them as real cpu's so everyone just bought into it.

for what most of the old timers do with their carpc's here, just playing music and sd videos.. the atoms are working well. there is zero headroom though, no upgrade path and you will be limited on what you can actually do later on when your brain thinks of whatever the next cool idea is, like hijax was sayin

Comment

Atom is slightly cheaper but overall system power consumption of both systems are similar, especially if you clock the c2d down to 1.xGhz (even better if you can undervolt). Atom = cheap, Core2=more expensive but decent all around. In UMPC's, Core and Core2 processors seem to get the same battery life as Atoms, just not with the clock frequencies and voltages cranked. I've got the Opus 180W DC-DC that only gets loaded about 50% at peak with a Core2 at 3GHz and GeForce 9300 onboard video. This does NOT include LCD draw, usb devices, etc but those can easily be powered or relayed externally.

They do have 65w Core2Quads but that's a bit overkill for anything in a vehicle. I think a dual core Atom can handle sound processing and whatever apps you want but taking longer to do it all, including boot up. I'm also not sure about 45w Core2's that are socket 775 so you would need a Socket P motherboard to run one. I love Intel's recent cpu's but AMD's Cool'n'Quiet stuff works very well at saving electricity.

Comment

Im trying to keep the upgrade under $200 including CPU. I have ram and HD. I'll be using is the onboard video. No other cards. USB will have touchscreen, OBDII, Car2PC adapter and GPS.

Any suggestions?
                2011 Nissan Frontier SL

Comment

One option is to have a look at the Intel DG45FC motherboard.

Its a mini-itx form factor, but will take standard LGA 775 processors, so you can slot in anything you like really.

Then go for a low power core2duo, and should be able to keep the budget around the $200US mark, and still keep the Opus 150W as well.

I'm running an opus 120W with an Intel atom dual core, 2.5inch notebook drive, 7 inch touchscreen powered through the opus, GPS, OBD, bluetooth, full size desktop DVD drive, and a big 120mm fan, and the 120W opus doesnt even blink.

Comment

Thanks for the reply & ideas!

Your atom.. 330 I take it? Would you have went core2duo if you you had the option?
                    2011 Nissan Frontier SL

Comment

Here's a hardware configuration Ive come up with...

Intel BOXDG41MJ LGA 775 Intel G41
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121381

Intel Pentium E5300 2.6GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
                      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-074-_-Product

I'll buy a 20 to 24pin power converter as well as a molex power to p4 connector. This will let me use my Opus 150, and still stay below my budget.

Thoughts?
                      2011 Nissan Frontier SL

Comment

Well, knowing my +12V rail is rated @ 5A on the OPUS 150, the max watt CPU I can use is 60w. Unfortunatley, all the intel dual cores seem to be 65w+, so I had to re-think the issue.

I ended up with a AMD Athlon II X3 400e which is a 45w CPU.
                        Its a AM3 board so I had to get a bigger board than I wanted, an mATX over mini-itx.

MSI GF615M-P33 mATX

I also got a 2Gb stick of DDR3-1333.

I'll have to use some converter cables for the 20 to 24V and the P4 connector, but It should be good.. we'll see

Thanks for the suggestions!
                        2011 Nissan Frontier SL

Comment

Are you happy with your choice Custommx3? I'm in the same position you were. Right now I'm leaning away from any Atom based system (including the ION reference). What front-end are you using too?

Comment

Extremly fast.. Added a 16g SSD, and with it tweaked it boots in 5.24 seconds..

Problem is my Opus 150, will boot it, but if I add USB devices it wont POST.

I used a molex to p4 cable and a 20 to 24v cable since the new mobo requires it.

So now Im torn on a PS. I wante an m4-ATX, but after reading this in the manual

"Power supply of 350 watts (and above) is highly recommended for system sta-
                            bility."

and an ebay auction for the M4-ATX's decription states:

Please check your motherboards specifications and make sure that the CPU is not getting V(core) from the 12V rail (should be on the 5V rail).

I assume I'tll work cause it has a separate P4 header on the mobo? anyone agree?

And as far as the 350w, requirement, Im sure tha'ts way overkill knowing I'll use no add-on cards. Just 3-4 USB devices and a serial XM direct unit. The CPU is a 45w CPU as well.
                            I'm using RR, XP pro (nlite'd)
                            Tweaked to the max.

No GPS, No Touchscreen, no Car2PC adapter, nor XM connected at the time the vid was taken (they were still connected to my current one in the car)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryWBdeHlV8g

(Sorry, taken on a blackberry curve)

Thoughts?
                            2011 Nissan Frontier SL

Comment

That's an impressive boot time. The USB issue seems like a big problem: Are there any BIOS updates for your mobo? I'm not sure, but would this help?

Personally I consider "overkill" a matter of opinion since we all have different needs. While a system may indeed be overkill, I think it's good to think ahead and have the your hardware last as long as possible rather than upgrading every year because the newest version of centrafuse is coming out.

I'm not sure if there are any power supplies that hit the 350W mark though.

Comment

Working...
                              X