Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful HD upgrade!--I didn't know it would be THIS fast!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successful HD upgrade!--I didn't know it would be THIS fast!!

I posted last week about putting a 20gig hd on an old system. Well, I upgraded my two 4 gig 5400 rpm hd's in my P166mmx system to one 20gig 7200 rpm drive. The speed is amazing. I didn't expect this much increase in loading mp3s.

Example:

Old hd - one folder with 138 songs, upload in 23 seconds
    ----one folder with 304 songs, upload in 37 seconds

New hd - one folder w/ 138 songs, upload in 3-4 seconds
    ----one folder w/ 304 songs, upload in 6 seconds

Had to use a stop watch just to be accurate.

Thanks for the suggestions that were given in my previous post.

Re: Successful HD upgrade!--I didn't know it would be THIS fast!!

How much cache did they have?
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

I believe the old ones had a buffer size of 256-512kb. But the 20gig drive has a 2mb buffer size. It's like I installed a new carputer. I just didn't realize that it would make this much of a performance difference.

I was just looking to simply my system to 1 removable hd and get more storage. This was an unexpected bonus.

Comment

You should try some hot-swap Ultra Scsi 150 dives (10,000 rpm)<grin>.

Comment

well, if youre goin all out, then get some 15000rpm models, either scsi or SerialATA if they have them.
          Project AutoBoxen: Coming along, almost ready to hook up in the car.
          Celeron 500, 192mb ram, 8gb hdd, other stuff.
          '91 Mazda 626: Its free, so ill use it.

Comment

U160 and why not U320? And the WD Raptor is the fastest spinning ATA (SATA at that) drive at 10k rpm.
            -Nick

Comment

It should be noted that unlike most components in your PC, its quite possible (infact quite unavoidable) that HDD performance decreases over time due to brinelling of bearings and corruption of the disk surface.

The noise increases and the error rate increases, and the performance slows down.

Processors, memory, etc, dont suffer this kind of degradation over time.
              loply

Comment

larger drives also have a higher density. ergo a 70GB 5400 will be faster than a 10GB 5400 (usually, and depending on what you are doing)
                aka Kumaneko
                "Don't make me moderate your ***!"
                Maxima of Doom - project thread - photo gallery
                mp3car system is currently FUBAR and finances do not allow for a correction of that situation
                Real computer hackers use a rotary cutting tool on their motherboard.

Comment

Thanks for all of the information, everyone. I'm considering another project and everone's comments are useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ShinkunoNamida
                    larger drives also have a higher density. ergo a 70GB 5400 will be faster than a 10GB 5400 (usually, and depending on what you are doing)
                    Faster for sequential transfers, but lower for random access (which is why the 15k drives are commonly 36gb, which gives the best performance for the density).
                    -Nick

Comment

Working...
                    X