Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrea Superbeam Mic

MP3car Andrea Superbeam

Ok, really would like to do the bluetooth phone thing.
    Ideal solution is to use a mic and car speakers ... I'm sort of deaf ... lolo, and hate pasting the dang earphones deeper into my ears.

Will I get feedback noise problems with this mic?
    If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Yes, unless you have echo cancellation software. You can buy that mic with a usb sound card that includes a software bundle that supports this issue directly.

http://store.mp3car.com/External_USB..._p/aud-004.htm

Comment

The Andrea set is a software echo cancellation solution though, which will take up some system resources. Depending on the amount of computing power that you have, you may want to consider going with a hardware solution, like a SOHO card, or a stand-alone Hands Free kit like those from Parrot.
      COMPLETED! 02 VW Golf TDI 7" Eee PC Budget Build

Comment

Originally posted by firstorbit84 View Post
        The Andrea set is a software echo cancellation solution though, which will take up some system resources. Depending on the amount of computing power that you have, you may want to consider going with a hardware solution, like a SOHO card, or a stand-alone Hands Free kit like those from Parrot.
        I agree. I went with a SOHO Echo Cancel card, combined with the micorphone from the Andrea set. The mic looks cool and matches my car.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

The big requirement is a stereo microphone input....some itx mobo's are even shipping with it on-board now.
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
            The big requirement is a stereo microphone input....some itx mobo's are even shipping with it on-board now.
            Why is this a big requirement??

For the 1/3 the price of the SOHO + Andrea, I found a used Parrot CK3100 on ebay..
            COMPLETED! 02 VW Golf TDI 7" Eee PC Budget Build

Comment

Originally posted by bratnetwork View Post
              Yes, unless you have echo cancellation software. You can buy that mic with a usb sound card that includes a software bundle that supports this issue directly.

http://store.mp3car.com/External_USB..._p/aud-004.htm
              I was taking a look at this bundle which includes a usb sound card (pure audio) and mic. Now i can see it has a mic input and speaker output. In order to get the noise/echo cancellation do i have to plug my speakers into this usb sound card or can i use my internal sound card for all my speaker output and use usb sound card just for the mic?

I guess that kinda defeats the purpose of this product, but really i would only use the usb sound card for my mic input.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamRSX View Post
                I was taking a look at this bundle which includes a usb sound card (pure audio) and mic. Now i can see it has a mic input and speaker output. In order to get the noise/echo cancellation do i have to plug my speakers into this usb sound card or can i use my internal sound card for all my speaker output and use usb sound card just for the mic?

I guess that kinda defeats the purpose of this product, but really i would only use the usb sound card for my mic input.
                I have been wondering this same thing. My onboard sound sucks so the Andrea one may be an improvement, but I bought a nice SB Live external I want to utilize. I have searched for this but I haven't really found a definite answer where someone has actually installed and tested this theory and posted the results.

I have just received my Andrea set in the mail and I'm in the process on re-vamping my carpc software so hopefully within the next few days I will be able to get it all setup and actually test this out. I will let everyone know what I find out. But until then if anyone has actually done this feel free to share

Comment

I have been wondering this same thing. My onboard sound sucks so the Andrea one may be an improvement, but I bought a nice SB Live external I want to utilize. I have searched for this but I haven't really found a definite answer where someone has actually installed and tested this theory and posted the results.

I have just received my Andrea set in the mail and I'm in the process on re-vamping my carpc software so hopefully within the next few days I will be able to get it all setup and actually test this out. I will let everyone know what I find out. But until then if anyone has actually done this feel free to share
                  Great, i look forward to your tests. I just can't see the usb sound card being that great of quality as its only powered via usb, thats why i want to use my internal sound card. I could be wrong though.

Comment

I want to do a similar thing. I am going to be running a laptop, and using SB X-FI external sound card. I want to run this Andre mic for the phone. Will I be able to configure the Andre mic sound card to just do voice-in and voice-out only from the phone? This is getting complicated.
                    My 2007 Ford F350 Work Log located HERE

Comment

Originally posted by firstorbit84 View Post
                      Why is this a big requirement??

For the 1/3 the price of the SOHO + Andrea, I found a used Parrot CK3100 on ebay..
                      While echo cancellation is possible using a single channel microphone, noise reduction is not. In a car environment you get a tremendous amount of background noise when using a single, omni-directional mic. Some people are happy enough with it....most aren't.

In order to properly do echo cancellation the andrea USB mic requires speaker output directed through its output. On windows, due to the lack of stream splitting, this forces you to use only the andrea usb dongle for input and output.

There is a workaround though, just not a pleasant one. You can use audio re-routing software to mirror your sound card output to the andrea dongle (even if nothing is plugged into its speaker output). Its been done a few dozen times by users before echo-cancelling sound cards became so commonplace.
                      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                      - Always Recruiting Developers -
                      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

i haven't gotten a chance yet to mess with making it work with another sound card, but it did find out that the Andrea card does not play well with my BT dongle. If the dongle is near the sound card i get a horrible buzz in the audio almost all the time. I put it on a 2ft usb extension and its fine now once its like and inch or 2 away.

Comment

Have you been able to do any testing this this andrea bundle yet? I'm curious to see the results.

Comment

Have you been able to do any testing this this andrea bundle yet? I'm curious to see the results.
                            Sorry, but I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had much time to mess with my CarPC, and the time I have spend working on it, it has been on other things. I did though plug it all in and test it with the .net mobile phone plugin, but have not done any real testing with echo cancellation and trying o get it work with a different sound card yet. I'll be away for a little while so It won't be for another 2 weeks or so before I can get around to do it yet.

One thing I did notice that disappointed me is that the sound card itself seems to pick up a lot of interference. First it would pick it up from my BT dongle anytime it would rx/tx data and the LED on the dongle would blink causing static in my speakers. And now it gives me static on occasion just on heavy CPU usage... This could become a major problem if I can't fix it. I thought it was just the cheapo speakers I use for bench testing my PC, but it does this with headphones too. Any one else notice this? Or maybe I just got a defective unit?

Comment

Sorry, my vacation was unexpectedly extended due to weather and my flight was canceled, but I'm back now.

I did some messing around today and I think I'm on to something. I messed around with some ASIO and Virtual Audio Cables today. I don't understand ASIO much so that confused me a bit and I couldn't seem to get ASIO4ALL to work much at all. I messed around with virtual audio cables and found that in order to use them the audio application has to have the ability to choose which audio device to use. If my programs could all do that then I wouldn't need the virtual cables (cables are more for routing sound to other DSP apps and stuff b4 output or recording, not really to direct apps to certain sound devices).

After finding out about the VACs needing apps that can specify the output i looked at some of my apps. I found that Foobar2000 that I use as my music player has this option. So right now in Windows my default sound card is the Andrea USB card and then Foobar is set to output through my SB Live! USB. Not the final solution and it only works if you use Foobar, but its a step in the right direction.

The problems I have with this setup now is that my master volume and mute does not effect the SB Live! card at all, so if I hit mute the Andrea card mutes but the music keeps playing through the SB card. The only way to adjust the music volume is by adjusting the volume in the Foobar software (which I can do in RR's mixer skin). This is a huge issue for me b/c I use line drivers in my audio system and they have volume knobs which is how I adjust my volume, but I still need to find a way to mute the audio for GPS and Phone usage.

I am still going to look into this more and find a better all around way to do this and make it all work right. If any one has any ideas or words of advice of how we can accomplish some of this please share.

Comment

Working...
                              X