ByByte Black Box N Nano-ITX Car PC Case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ByByte Black Box N Nano-ITX Car PC Case

I am new to the carputer thing. I have been research for the last several months and finally came to a conclusion. I want to get started build a double din carputer. I found this case ByByte Black Box N Nano-ITX Car PC Case. I was wondering if anyone has used this case before and have a recommendation on motherboards and accessories I might want to use. I have one concern about wiring a touchscreen monitor. I am not sure how I would wire it.

Thanks

As far as I'm aware, you have only one option for a NanoITX motherboard, and that is made by VIA.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I have it, I was going to review it, but I would have given it such a scathing review I decided not to. I use it plus I have the built in amplifier from ByByte also. The built quality is sub-par and feels flimsy in my opinion. but I do like the range of motherboards it supports(Nano-ITX, Pico-ITX, and 3.5" SBC) I have a Pico-ITX I tried to mount in there but gave up after realizing that I would have to fashion my own mounting brackets. I previously used a Xenarc MDT-X7000 which is known to have issues. I would still be using it if I had not sold it already. The amplified provided by ByByte has such horrible interference that I cannot hear my music. No matter how I wire it and or shield it there is only minimal improvement over the racket that is supposed to be my music.

if TLDR basically forget the box and only get the LCD mount if you can.

Comment

Take a look at the new 3.5" format available from Quannmax. They sell them at LogicSupply. I like the Atom stuff over the VIA, so I think they are the perfect board for the BlackBox.

http://www.logicsupply.com/categorie...s/3_5_inch_ecx

Comment

Originally posted by meryan00 View Post
          I have it, I was going to review it, but I would have given it such a scathing review I decided not to. I use it plus I have the built in amplifier from ByByte also. .
          How is the sound from the amp? Can the amp be used with atom boards?

Comment

I am using the amp with a 3.5mm stereo in from my atom board with no issues, but I have a horrible amount of interference, I have finally gotten most of it removed, but there is still a significant noise level before the computer boots up. The other thing is that there is no on off option so you either have to have it always on or only come on with the car is started, but then you have interference issues. I chose to run direct power lines for the amp so it always stays on.
            Originally posted by slonoma98 View Post
            How is the sound from the amp? Can the amp be used with atom boards?

Comment

Hey meryan00, did you manage to figure out how to get the ByByte amplifier to turn on and off with the car? Or is still always on?

I just stumbled upon the amplifier on the ByByte website and it looks pretty decent for what it does and it will surely help those who want to build an integrated system, but it lacks the remote power-on feature that normal car amplifiers have.

Also, in the manual, it says it's 4 channel, but I only see 2 channel outputs?
              2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

Originally posted by MeeM View Post
                Hey meryan00, did you manage to figure out how to get the ByByte amplifier to turn on and off with the car? Or is still always on?

I just stumbled upon the amplifier on the ByByte website and it looks pretty decent for what it does and it will surely help those who want to build an integrated system, but it lacks the remote power-on feature that normal car amplifiers have.

Also, in the manual, it says it's 4 channel, but I only see 2 channel outputs?

I have the amp plugged in all the time, sure i could wire up a relay to control it, but i decided not to. When e pc is off the amp takes hardly any power, i left it on for a week without starting my car with no real drop in voltage on my battery. I am using to build a fully integrated system, but found i had to run new power lines for the amp, it comes with 20-gauge lines for power, which i found to be insufficient. I ran new 12-gauge lines and get rid of all the interference on the system.

The last issue about channels is true, they mislead you saying 4 channel. It is 2 separate chanenels that are wired in parallel. So you can still fade left to rit but not front and rear. What i am doing is buying a second amp to give me 4 channels and am using the new 1.2ghz via artigo pico-itx motherboard, I am still working on building the system but i am also integrating the factory harness Clip from a extra radio i had.

I am happy to answer any more questions you have if you need me to.

Comment

Originally posted by meryan00 View Post
                  The last issue about channels is true, they mislead you saying 4 channel. It is 2 separate chanenels that are wired in parallel. So you can still fade left to rit but not front and rear.
                  Thought so! My current setup has a 4-channel amplifier under the seat, but like most car PC setups with a single car amplifier, I can only adjust the left-right balance and no front-back fading. I don't require this feature now, but one solution is to have two 2-channel amplifiers, one for the front and one for the rear. Provided your motherboard outputs 5.1 audio, you can connect the front outputs to one amp and the rear outputs to the other amp. The PC will then have balance AND fader control

Comment

most car audio specific amps will have dual inputs, and a setting for 2, or 4 channel inputs, so, you could also use one of those amps for fading capability.
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

But the fader control will be on the amplifier, not the PC?

Comment

Thanks for updating this thread guys. I'm hoping to integrate into a system which has balanced outputs so I'm really focused on amps and wiring issues right now. Also planning on using the Via pico-itx board and the BBN. I really like to see how you mounted your board as a kind of reference for my own build.

Comment

Sure. I'll take some pics when I get behind my dash next time. I'm planning to upgrade my hardware so while dismantling the PC, I can show you how it looks with the motherboard only.

For now, all I can say is I laid the board on the bottom of the case and marked out where the mounted holes would be. I marked the four corner holes of the motherboard. I then removed the motherboard and drilled the holes in the case. I pushed my risers into the holes and glued them using some two-part epoxy. The risers are about 6mm thick are essentially thick washers and each riser has a threaded hole down the middle - I made sure I had screws to match the threads perfectly. I laid a sheet of anti-static film on the bottom of the case to prevent the underside of the motherboard from making contact with the case. Finally, I placed the motherboard on the risers and inserted the four screws.

Hope that's detailed enough to give you a mental picture of how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by MeeM View Post
                            But the fader control will be on the amplifier, not the PC?

correct, but it is another option...
                            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
                            X