Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the "best" atom?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the "best" atom?

    I've noticed in my research that some boards use different versions of the atom, but the community seems to be overwhelmingly choosing the 330. Wouldn't the d510 be better with a 1.66 speed vs the 1.60 of the 330? The d510 also uses dmi ~667fsb instead of the 330's fsb=533. Is the bump not worth the 5 extra watts?

    http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...familyId=29035

    would this board be worth it if you focus on speed alone and not integrated ion technology?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153166
    09 Pontiac G8GT [decently modded]
    former carputer owner, given up for iphone

  • #2
    I think the reason is that the D510 was just released Q1 2010 and the 330 has been out at least a year.

    Dave

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by davedave1234 View Post
      I think the reason is that the D510 was just released Q1 2010 and the 330 has been out at least a year.

      Dave
      yeah i saw that after posting by hitting the compare button on intel's website. Guess I'm still interested to hear what people think though. I don't see any of the boards with a ion chipset yet though...
      09 Pontiac G8GT [decently modded]
      former carputer owner, given up for iphone

      Comment


      • #4
        I can tell you from experiance to make sure the BIOS load time is fast no matter what you deside to go with. I have the D945GCLF2 and the BIOS adds almost 10 sec to the boot time. I love the board once it boots but the boot time is nuts. After the BIOS loads it is ready in 10-11 sec so the BIOS times almost double it. from what I have read the zotac boards are better.

        Comment


        • #5
          The best Atom is any Atom that is combined with a nVidia ION chipset. I have heard nothing but good things about those.

          I read alot of problems with Jetway.... I would go with a Zotac based board.

          Here is a link. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE
          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

          1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
          1x Win 7 PC

          Comment


          • #6
            I have recently completed an install with a Zotac Ion A-U. I can tell you that this board is more than capable for anything that you might want to throw at it. Alot of options on video output, as well as audio. Plenty of usb ports, and running Windows 7, it boots VERY quickly!
            I do have a few isues with the onboard wlan, but I am begining to think that may simply be a driver issue... Occasionally it just simply stops working.
            Also as long as I am at it let me take a moment to say that I love The Boomzbox HD radio setup! Definately worth the $$...

            Comment


            • #7
              I have the previous version of this barebone. I love it. It is a mini itx board inside with the dual core atom.
              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-015-_-Product

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
                I read alot of problems with Jetway.... I would go with a Zotac based board.
                People always bad-mouth jetway without any experience...

                I've used Jetway motherboards for years and years, as well as rebranded jetways called MachSpeed. As long as you don't buy the cheapest crap ram to go in them, they work great. It's the guys that always try to get the cheapest parts that bad-mouth them cause cheap crap don't work.

                All of my CarPC regurgitations have been jetway boards except for 2. I'm trying out a D945GCLF2 but hate the boot time, and I've also tried a FitPC. I've used via-based jetway boards, a P4 jetway board, an AM2+ jetway board, and an atom 330 jetway board. I've only had 2 issues with all my jetway boards (three if you count my stupidity).

                1. Cheap ram caused instability
                2. weird BIOS problem that was created by dropping the motherboard (oopsie) and fixed with a bios reflash

                2.5. Fried a jetway board by accidentally feeding 12v into the video card, short story but lots of explaining to do that I won't do here.

                Bottom line, them jetway boys are awesome and they make good boards. Just don't go cheap on accessories.

                EDIT: And I would recommend staying away from the Foxconn motherboards unless you replace the heatsink or screw a fan on it somewhere before you use it. They put out a fanless design, and it's terrible. There really needs to be some direct airflow across that heatsink, circulating the air around it just doesn't quite cut it.

                EDIT2: The Zotac boards are awesome, built one into a media center running XBMC and it's been flawless. Post times are rockin' too.
                Tidder

                Try RevFE
                The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.


                I Wish I could ban people

                Comment


                • #9
                  The n330 is dual core!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                    People always bad-mouth jetway without any experience...

                    I've used Jetway motherboards for years and years, as well as rebranded jetways called MachSpeed. As long as you don't buy the cheapest crap ram to go in them, they work great. It's the guys that always try to get the cheapest parts that bad-mouth them cause cheap crap don't work.

                    All of my CarPC regurgitations have been jetway boards except for 2. I'm trying out a D945GCLF2 but hate the boot time, and I've also tried a FitPC. I've used via-based jetway boards, a P4 jetway board, an AM2+ jetway board, and an atom 330 jetway board. I've only had 2 issues with all my jetway boards (three if you count my stupidity).

                    1. Cheap ram caused instability
                    2. weird BIOS problem that was created by dropping the motherboard (oopsie) and fixed with a bios reflash

                    2.5. Fried a jetway board by accidentally feeding 12v into the video card, short story but lots of explaining to do that I won't do here.

                    Bottom line, them jetway boys are awesome and they make good boards. Just don't go cheap on accessories.

                    EDIT: And I would recommend staying away from the Foxconn motherboards unless you replace the heatsink or screw a fan on it somewhere before you use it. They put out a fanless design, and it's terrible. There really needs to be some direct airflow across that heatsink, circulating the air around it just doesn't quite cut it.

                    EDIT2: The Zotac boards are awesome, built one into a media center running XBMC and it's been flawless. Post times are rockin' too.
                    I can't say this from my own experience, but the expansion boards that comes with some of the jetways are a joke in Linux. Just ask kshots. Otherwise, I'm sure they are just fine.

                    I'm partial to the zotac ION because i have one. super fast post times and other things make the board superior to the intel.
                    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      To answer the actual question....

                      It depends on use. The D510 has a built in memory and graphics controller which allows for a smaller footprint and lower power consumption (it's just starting to show up in pico-itx boards). The 330 requires an external GPU which allows for the ION platform and excellent 3D and video playback abilities.

                      Benchmarks back this up with the 510 doing marginally better in CPU and Memory performance but absolutely awful in graphics benchmarks (windows experience index ~1.2 iirc).
                      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                      - Always Recruiting Developers -
                      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        from what i know about computers (i've built a few gaming rigs) there is no statistics on boot times. Anybody do a comparo at all?

                        this is important for my board choice. my factory lcd (which integrates hvac) requires composite, so do i need:
                        1. a video card with composite out,
                        2. an additional video card or
                        3. will the ion boards convert well using a simple cable

                        I'm hoping it's 3, b/c i'd like to avoid using a pci gpu unless others have done so without much issue

                        The n330 is dual core!
                        so is the 510
                        09 Pontiac G8GT [decently modded]
                        former carputer owner, given up for iphone

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Belo View Post
                          from what i know about computers (i've built a few gaming rigs) there is no statistics on boot times. Anybody do a comparo at all?

                          this is important for my board choice. my factory lcd (which integrates hvac) requires composite, so do i need:
                          1. a video card with composite out,
                          2. an additional video card or
                          3. will the ion boards convert well using a simple cable

                          I'm hoping it's 3, b/c i'd like to avoid using a pci gpu unless others have done so without much issue



                          so is the 510
                          You could always buy a HDMI to composite converter, but most I see are pretty pricey, more then the cost of the motherboard...... Download the instructions for the boards, I am sure one has a header to connect a composite cable to it.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                          1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Your not going to be happy with the setup no matter what you use. Composite monitors don't have the quality needed to display text.
                            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                            - Always Recruiting Developers -
                            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              yeah i realize that, but some guys have done it on the g8 already, and i'm only going to use the computer for media, no web surfing.
                              09 Pontiac G8GT [decently modded]
                              former carputer owner, given up for iphone

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X