Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I attach (2) ide cables together?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I attach (2) ide cables together?

The reason I want to do this is not to get a longer ide cable,but to have an accessible split in the cable. I have an internal dvd drive that I am going to mount externally from my computer. I want to be able to remove the computer from my car, leaving the dvd drive in the car, and because of my installation, I will not have easy access to either the back of the drive, or the mobo on the computer.

I bought a 40 pin straight through connector thinking I had found the solution. But that didn't work, and after scratching my head for awhile, I realized why ide cables always have that red stripe down the one side - the wires flip-flop top to bottom. Duh.

So I am thinking there must be a connector that compensates for this, but my internet searching has not found one.

While I wait for the wisdom of this forum to guide me, I'm going to try and figure out if using 3 cables, and 2 of the straight through adaptors will flip the wiring twice, therefore netting me the result I need.
    Car: 2003 Nissan 350Z
    Installed: Epia M9000, Casetronics 2699R Case, Crucial 256mb DDR, Maxtor 60gb 3.5" HD, Toshiba Slim DVD, Pioneer 3.5" Slot DVD, Gyration RF Keyboard/Mouse, Deluo GPS Receiver, Windows XP Pro, D-Link 2.4ghz usb wireless adaptor.
    Pending: 6.4" LG Phillips VGA Touchscreen, some type of alternate/additional power supply, Audio Connection

While I wait for the wisdom of this forum to guide me, I'm going to try and figure out if using 3 cables, and 2 of the straight through adaptors will flip the wiring twice, therefore netting me the result I need.
    Following thorugh in my head says it should.

1 becomes 2 or 39 at the first adapter (depending on how it's oriented, red line to red line=2, red line to other side=39), and is reversed at the second(if both are oriented the same way).

Comment

Thanks Tom.

I cheated, and stretched out 3 cables, and with the help of a marks-alot, came to the same conclusion that it should work.

I'd much rather just use 2 cables, as I only need about 24", and I am concerned about getting much longer then that.
      Installed: Epia M9000, Casetronics 2699R Case, Crucial 256mb DDR, Maxtor 60gb 3.5" HD, Toshiba Slim DVD, Pioneer 3.5" Slot DVD, Gyration RF Keyboard/Mouse, Deluo GPS Receiver, Windows XP Pro, D-Link 2.4ghz usb wireless adaptor.
      Pending: 6.4" LG Phillips VGA Touchscreen, some type of alternate/additional power supply, Audio Connection

Comment

Then make your own cable for one of them, and have be about 3" long.

Comment

You could buy one of those cheap plasic removable hard drive bays and only use the connector. They are already wired up to connect an IDE cable on either end and you also get power through the same connector.

Its metal and therefore much more durable. Those plastic connectors for ide cables are not durable enough for constant use. You could fasten a tab to it so you dont have to pull the cable to remove it, but then there is always bending pins.

If you never saw one before, it looks like the parrallel port connection on the back of your printer, only bigger. It might be the same size as a SCSI cable, but im not sure.

mike
          91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

thanks for the idea Michael! I am going to the computer store this morning, and will look for what you have described.

So this cable will also carry the power to the drive? That would be great, since I could take back the (2) power cable extensions I bought.

Comment

Not sure now if it will work for power, since I think ide only carrys 5v power, and the drive I am using requires 12v power also.

This is the drive I am using

But I still may buy the bay just for the connector.

Comment

Update:

I checked out the hard drive bays, but decided against buying one. For one thing, the least expensive one they had was $25. secondly, the connector that comes with them goes from male to female, keeping the wires in a straight-through configuration. If I was to attach an ide cable to each end (using a male/male adaptor on one end), the wires would flip-flop again, and I'd be in same boat.

So I bought the attached connector for $10, and it did the trick.

It has 2 male connectors, and a female connector. I'm not using the female connector.

Comment

I found mine for 9$ at a computer auction. On mine the computer side connector has a male (with respect to the pins) ide and a molex (for power). The hard drive has the same. The hard drive side has a small 3 inch ide cable cable connected to it, but that can be removed and an another cable attached. When I get back up to school ill take a picture.

mike
                  91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

This springs to mind:

Get about a foot of single-core wire and strip the rubber off.

Cut it into 6 or 7mm segments

Superglue one into each hole on the IDE cable thus turning the holes into pins

put glue on the other cable and plug em in
                    loply

Comment

Keep in mind that IDE cables have line length limits for a reason. Usually 18" is the longest that you will find because beyond that interferance starts to go way up and your performance will go way down. DVD drives shouldn't be as bad, but I know some drives that won't work with cables > 18"... So just be careful. Have you tried this out yet?
                      IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Originally posted by Telek
                        Have you tried this out yet?
                        Yes, and it is working fine, with (2) 18" cables connected together. But, it hasn't been powered up in the car yet; just bench tested so far. If it acts up later, I will try (2) 12". If that still is a problem, I will ditch my idea to have a connection that I can separate.

Comment

36" IDE Cables

36" IDE Cables are available from pricewatch.com here: <A href="http://castle.pricewatch.com/search/search.idq?qc=%2236%22*+AND+%22IDE%22*+AND+%22CABL E%22*+AND+%40totalcost%3E0&cr=%2236%22%20ide%20cab le%22&ne=11106&l=11060">http://pricewatch.com - Search for "36" ide cable"</a>

But also keep in mind what Telek said, IDE drives were designed for a specific cable length, and you might get errors reading from drives that are using non-spec drives (anything greater than 18").
                          If you're not paranoid, then you're not paying enough attention. -kmfdmk.com
                          http://www.mymp3car.com/MP3Car/PSUpower.asp

1985 Supra 7M-GTE
                          10.4" Planar LCD
                          ECS GOAL3+ mobo w/ 512mb + 8GB sdhc
                          Edimax EW7318USG Wifi w/ 7 db Ant.
                          USB GPS

Comment

The 18" definatly applied to older systems, but its less stringent for newer drives and controllers.

A saw pics of a guy who got bored and made a 5 foot IDE cable... it worked fine on a hard drive and a dvd I think...

Comment

I bed to differ, if anything it's the other way around. With faster bus speeds the data is less error-resistant and thus is more prone to corruption due to interference. the IDE bus will automatically resend data if it was corrupted en-route (or something to that effect), so just because a device works does NOT mean that there was no interference, what will happen is the throughput will go down. I'll bet if you check the throughput on the 5' cable you'll find it substantially less than an 18" cable.

Picture it this way as an allusion: a serial bus transferring data at 33Mhz will have a pulse length of roughly 33 billionths of a second (i.e. 33 million bits per second, or 1 bit takes 33 billionths of a second to transmit). If interference comes by that happens to cause an effect on the line for 20 billionths of a second (~50Mhz) then the data will not be corrupted, however if your bus is running at 66Mhz (or 16 billionths of a second) then you will definitely loose that bit of data (well, technically I guess there is a 50/50 chance that the bit will invert before it reaches it's destination), and the entire parity set will have to be sent again. This isn't exactly how it works for the IDE bus (parallel transfer and whatnot) but it's a good allusion. The reason why > UDMA33 cables have 80 pins is so that every other pin is now a ground (i.e. they added 40 ground wires) to try to catch the interference and prevent it from interacting with the data lines.

It's interesting to note that those funky hard cables that are all bound up for you into a circular wire actually do have lower transfer rates than straight-through normal IDE cables. I can't remember the site that did that benchmark, but I'm sure that google can help you find it.
                              IN DEVELOPMENT -- '96 Mustang, lilliput with PII/450 laptop, custom DC-DC power supply, 60GB; Garmin GPS; 802.11g; compact keyboard, small graphical LCDs, OBDII.

Comment

Working...
                              X