No announcement yet.

external sata hard drive problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external sata hard drive problem

I have a segate 320gb external hard drive that has been working great for the past couple of years. This morning my wife knocked it off the table while I was using it and now when I plug it into the usb port all it does is beeb like it isn't getting power. I have heard this peep before when using a cable that wasn't inteded to power a usb device on this hard drive and it beeped like it didn't have enough power to run it. I took it out of its case and inside it is a sata hard drive. At the end of all the connections there are 4 pins just like a normal hard drive power pins just smaller. Is it possible to use these pins to power the hard drive? I am jsut wondering because I lost all of my car pictures and mp3, mainly worried about my car pics, and would just like to try and recover these. I had backed up everything else on that hard drive to dvd's but didn't do my car pics or mp3's yet. If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know if there is a certain cable to purchase to use those pins to power the hard drive or am i just screwed and lost everything on there?

AFAIK, external drives are merely standard HDDs in a case.

The "smaller" normal HDD power pins surprises me - SATA uses a flat connector (longer than the SATA signal connector), though early Western Digitals also had the traditional 4 pin (Molex) - but normal sized. Seagate may be different.

I will often swap internal & external drives into/from external cases or USB interface dongles.

It has the flat connectors and that is what it is mainly connected to but with the flat ones connected it seems as if it isn't getting power as if maybe a solder point broke somewhere.
      Here is a picture of it.

You can see that connector at the far right side. I am hoping to be able to power through this but if not I am guessing the hard drive is fried.

The LH connector is a standard SATA power connector so try that instead.
        If your PC has SATA data interface (the middle connector), then it should have SATA power as well.

Otherwise there are 4-pim Moles to SATA power converter cables. (As usual, try to get Y or fan out cables - ie, 1 to 2 or more; not 1:1).

you can use either or but don't use both...
          Custom Built Intel D510MO, 2GB RAM, M4-ATX, Elios 15" TS on custom mount.
          System installed into 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Diesel 4x4.

I can provide Custom fabrication for mounts or installation please contact me. CNC Machining and Powder Coating