Car stereo as cd drive for laptop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car stereo as cd drive for laptop?

Hi, I have an asus netbook and am wondering if i can buy a car stereo to act as an external cd drive for the computer. I assume that it could be connected by USB, but am not up to speed on all this gadgetry.

Let me know if it's a stupid question or if you need more info to answer helpfully.

Cheers

Originally posted by Bundera View Post
    Hi, I have an asus notebook and am wondering if i can buy a car stereo to act as an external cd drive for the computer. I assume that it could be connected by USB, but am not up to speed on all this gadgetry.

Let me know if it's a stupid question or if you need more info to answer helpfully.

Cheers
    I've never seen a usb-cd/dvd-drive-car-radio before .. Everything's possible, but you will have to open a car radio and exchange the cd/dvd drive by a usb version (but then, you won't be able to use it anymore for the radio, directly.

So, everything's possible, but as far as i know nobody ever did it before .. !
    http://www.slowriders.nl
    http://www.capricecustoms.nl

Comment

Either Pioneer or Alpine (cant remember which one) used to make a CD/DVD Headunit that you could connect to a PC Via the USB port and use as you would any other external optical drive. Have a poke around on google, you might be able to find it still

Comment

Interesting idea, but most likely would require some kind of hacking of the head unit to do it. It's probably a lot cheaper to buy a CD/DVD drive.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

If you have to hack it up, its very difficult to do....best bet is to try and find what Lachie is referring to
          openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
          - Always Recruiting Developers -
          Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Working...
          X