Anyone running a Pentium 2 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running a Pentium 2 ?

Just curious if anyone out their has had any luck with older systems. I currently run my setup using a Pentium2 with about 700+MB of RAM (can not think of the exact figure). I am really impressed with it considering I run my custom front end, streets and trips, window media player 11 etc with out a hitch simultaneously.

Originally posted by leo_bergamo View Post
    Just curious if anyone out their has had any luck with older systems. I currently run my setup using a Pentium2 with about 700+MB of RAM (can not think of the exact figure). I am really impressed with it considering I run my custom front end, streets and trips, window media player 11 etc with out a hitch simultaneously.
    I used to, nothing bad to say about it. Replaced with a smaller footprint MB.
    TruckinMP3
    D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I am actually impressed with it's performance. Believe it or not I had replaced it a while back with a more modern ADM 1GHz Duron and more modern mobo and I had nothing but issues with it like it's inability to hibernate properly and momentary seizures (might of just been it was an AMD product). After many cuss words and frustration of trying to perfect it I eventually went back to the older Pentium 2 and it's older mobo and what do you know, no problems (knocking on wood right now) at all. The only real difference is when I ran the more speedier setup some applications loaded quicker but that was about that. Now the I can hibernate once again that diffrence doesn't matter anymore.

Comment

Tried my old K6-II 450 &256mb of ram, win2ksp4 : works fine. Ok, no divx playback but for mapmichelin it's more than enough.

My current setup is a GeodeNX 1750 + K7s41gx + 2 gig, onboard video.
        Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

A unique quality of a car PC is it does not have to do everything like a domestic PC would do. With a car PC you can custom tailor and tune it's OS to perform rather well in a low resource configuration.

Comment

A unique quality of a car PC is it does not have to do everything like a domestic PC would do. With a car PC you can custom tailor and tune it's OS to perform rather well in a low resource configuration.

you can, but I do not take the time... my first system was a P200mmx running xp pro full install and win amp. No issues.
            TruckinMP3
            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

I did an XP install + Centrafuse in a P3 550mhz when I first started out. Im not surprised you could probably pull something off with an old P2 if you tweak it a bit with custom software. In addition to the obvious lack of processing power, the older system tend to be bigger and have slower booting BIOS screens however.

Comment

WOW, PII! Well I wouldnt use it for a Car PC, but thats because I have to be able to multitask and do high CPU usage things, but I will say they make good web servers. My web server right now is a PII, 350mhz with 512mb of RAM ( I think thats its max). Web pages seem to come up fast. One thing I see being usefull for Car PC is that they use way less power. Bad things alot of them dont have S3 support. No sleep, hibernation, and sometimes they cant even shut down on their own. You have to hit the power button when it says "This PC is now safe to turn off".
                Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
                  WOW, PII! Well I wouldnt use it for a Car PC, but thats because I have to be able to multitask and do high CPU usage things, but I will say they make good web servers. My web server right now is a PII, 350mhz with 512mb of RAM ( I think thats its max). Web pages seem to come up fast. One thing I see being usefull for Car PC is that they use way less power. Bad things alot of them dont have S3 support. No sleep, hibernation, and sometimes they cant even shut down on their own. You have to hit the power button when it says "This PC is now safe to turn off".
                  I believe the P2 I am running was rolled off the line just before the P3s started up. I am able to hibernate the machine, via some tweaking I can get to a desktop in about 30 seconds from a cold boot and it does support the more modern power saving modes. Believe it or not I am able to run Streets & Trips 2009, Windows Media Player 11, NetStumbler etc. flawlessly (simultaneously) without a hitch. My machine did start it's life as a Dell desktop but was soon stripped of it's desktop identity and I was able to run it "chasi-less". The mobo, PSU etc are now firmly fastened to a 2' x 2' piece of MDF underneath my rear bench seat in my conversion van neatly hidden away. The best part of the machine is it costed $10 LOL!

P.S. I also had the option in the BIOS to make the machine power on after power was restored from power loss which allowed me to seamlessly integrate it with a DC-AC inverter. More or less now when hit the power button it powers the DC-AC inverter which then makes the system power up and the systems PSU then energizes a 12V 30AMP automotive relay keeping the inverter running as I let off the power button. When the system shuts down the inverter shuts off also.

Comment

Wow, lol $10.00. You cant beat that. I wish my install had the room for a normal board, because mini-itx is always more expensive and much more limited.

What conversion van do you have again? Freeflashstuff just bought a conversion van also that he is putting a PC into. Maybe you can chime in and give advice?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

One thing I see being usefull for Car PC is that they use way less power
                      I just have to jump in on that because I think its a common misconception by forum members..... An atom processor (which is a few times faster then a P2) uses between a 1/4 and an 1/8 of the power that a P2 requires. Older processors were not just slower but also less efficient.
                      openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                      - Always Recruiting Developers -
                      Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
                        I just have to jump in on that because I think its a common misconception by forum members..... An atom processor (which is a few times faster then a P2) uses between a 1/4 and an 1/8 of the power that a P2 requires. Older processors were not just slower but also less efficient.
                        Ahhhhh, my bad. I was going from a PSU stand point.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Wow, lol $10.00. You cant beat that. I wish my install had the room for a normal board, because mini-itx is always more expensive and much more limited.

What conversion van do you have again? Freeflashstuff just bought a conversion van also that he is putting a PC into. Maybe you can chime in and give advice?
                          It is a "gently used" 1994 Dodge High Top conversion van.

I like this picture. It hides the flaking laminate on the high top and rust on the lower portions of the body. But come on, it is a 16 year old Chrysler, LOL.

Comment

An Atom processor huh. Those were for more embedded applications right ? They are a little outside my realm. My project is the sum of many nights of trial and error and a constrained budget. I pulled it off with this Pentium 2. A noisless and seamless install minus the GPS wart on the dash. I wish I could find a way to bury that thing but it performs best directly under the windsheild. As far as the mobo dimensions etc, it was all hidden neatly under the rear bench seat out of sight.

Comment

It is a "gently used" 1994 Dodge High Top conversion van.

I like this picture. It hides the flaking laminate on the high top and rust on the lower portions of the body. But come on, it is a 16 year old Chrysler, LOL.
                              Looks cool.... I like most older Dodge cars, thats why I bought the 03 Durango, the 04 looks nasty. The designers must have been on drugs, or maybe not on enough drugs.

An Atom processor huh. Those were for more embedded applications right ? They are a little outside my realm. My project is the sum of many nights of trial and error and a constrained budget. I pulled it off with this Pentium 2. A noisless and seamless install minus the GPS wart on the dash. I wish I could find a way to bury that thing but it performs best directly under the windsheild. As far as the mobo dimensions etc, it was all hidden neatly under the rear bench seat out of sight.
                              No the ATOM processor is what is used now in most Mini-ITX Solutions, or is it Micro-ITX? One of the 2. Basically its a super cheap and affordable processor that doesnt use alot of power. Thing is, it is built into the motherboards, so if something goes wrong you have to replace the whole board. They are pretty cool, I plan to buy six of the first gen single core versions for my car. Most people now buy the newer dual core version.

What GPS do you have? Mine is next to the rear window but under a plastic interior panel. Works great! I have the BU-353.

So is it safe to say your not a media wh0r3 like alot of us, with video, dvd and tons of other stuff that shouldnt be done in a car, lol.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X