Question Regarding Displaying RCA Video Through PC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Regarding Displaying RCA Video Through PC

I'm setting up a system based of an IBM T21 and Xenarc 7" touchscreen. The screen mounts in my dash opening perfectly, except that the screen's buttons will fall below the opening. The only button I really need access to is the Source, to switch input from PC to Video 1, for the purpose of playing Playstation2.

Instead of putting holes in the dash or hacking apart the Xenarc screen, I though it would make sense to run the video through the PC. This way I would not need access to any of the buttons on the face on the screen.

So my question is, what would I need to get to run the PS2s RCA video cable through the PC?

Thanks for your help,

Jeff

Re: Question Regarding Displaying RCA Video Through PC

Originally posted by JeffesonM

So my question is, what would I need to get to run the PS2s RCA video cable through the PC?
    I'm pretty sure most TV cards would fit the bill... not positive though. Check some out.

Comment

either that or get a video/audio switch. They are like $20 at radio shack.. you could hide it under the seat or something.. if the video card option doesn't pan out.
      '98 Explorer Sport
      http://mp3car.zcentric.com (down atm)
      AMD 800mhz 192megs RAM 60gig hard drive 9 inch widescreen VGA
      80% done

Comment

Originally posted by Raekwon
        I'm pretty sure most TV cards would fit the bill... not positive though. Check some out.
        Cool, I'll hit up Google and see what comes up. I should be able to find something for a laptop, no? Like using a PCMCIA or some other interface (as I lack the PCI card slot). Or is there some type of expansion port thing I can use to hook up a PCI card?
        Originally posted by hijinks21
        either that or get a video/audio switch. They are like $20 at radio shack.. you could hide it under the seat or something.. if the video card option doesn't pan out.
        The monitor takes a VGA input as well as two RCA inputs, so I'd still have to use the monitor's Source button to switch between them. I may end up getting one of these anyway, though, if I decide to do xBox or GameCube as well.

Comment

Cool, I'll hit up Google and see what comes up. I should be able to find something for a laptop, no? Like using a PCMCIA or some other interface (as I lack the PCI card slot). Or is there some type of expansion port thing I can use to hook up a PCI card?
          Don't get a PCMCIA capture card, PCMCIA is basically the equilent of ISA, far too slow for video. If your laptop is a newer one get a CardBUS capture card (CardBUS is very much like PCI).

Comment

Originally posted by tom61
            Don't get a PCMCIA capture card, PCMCIA is basically the equilent of ISA, far too slow for video. If your laptop is a newer one get a CardBUS capture card (CardBUS is very much like PCI).
            From the IBM website...
            PC Card
            The Type III slot accommodates either two Type I, two Type II, or one Type III PC card. The slot supports the CardBus adapters, PC card, and the Zoomed Video (ZV) adapter. Currently available in Microsof Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, and Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional.
            So basically CardBus is just a different protocol(?) for a device that plugs into the PCMCIA port? I'll look in that direction. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

If you have trouble finding a PC card TV tuner, you could always use a USB tuner instead (ATI makes a USB version of the TV Wonder, there's others as well). Probably cheaper than PC card as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mtmsol
                If you have trouble finding a PC card TV tuner, you could always use a USB tuner instead (ATI makes a USB version of the TV Wonder, there's others as well). Probably cheaper than PC card as well.
                Okay, I've been looking around and I seem to find many, many USB video capture devices. Will USB (2.0) provide the necessary bandwidth?

Also, as I find more and more devices I have began to take note of their frame rates and resolutions. What is a good resolution/frame rate I should shoot for?

Comment

You have to love Nissan for that Nice Double Din area they have in the maximas. I have a 3rd gen and putting my screen in was the easiets part of the install, course it's only temporary but it looks pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                  X