1 and 2 DIN alluminum box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 and 2 DIN alluminum box

Hi. I bought a 1-DIN carpc cabinet a while back, but I got really disappointed. The cabinet is to tight, and is about 1mm to short in every dimention (meaning I have to force the motherboard and PSU in place). I've been thinking about buying a new one, but they are hard to come by up here in Norway and they are rather expencive.

What I am looking for instead is a plain aluminum box with the right dimentions, I think I can make one of these as good as an original one (would probably not look as good, but I don't care much about that), and if I could find a 2-DIN box, I could fit my phidgets wirering in it aswell.

Where would I get something like this?

i think it is easier to build your own-- esp. when you have specific parts that need to fit

here is what i did with a scrap electronics casing, a dremel, workbench with a right angle corner, and a hammer(i sold it cause it didn't end up working with the rest of my install-- too many parts):
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...ml#post1342624

it took me maybe a 2 hours to get the whole thing setup--and it fit perfectly, up until i actually measured how much space i had and how much i really needed in my dash...

other than that, try tooking at electronics stores for project cases.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Look neat But I really have no tools to do this. I live in a 13m^2 room sharing bathroom and kitchen with three others :P The only masculin tool I got is a drill :P

Comment

ok, no big deal-- a hammer is something like $5 US, some right angle aluminum is something like $5- for a 5-6ft section, a hack saw is maybe $10, and the metal is free if your not afraid to look through garbage cans

even if your sharing a room, you should have some basic tools--i keep hand tools in every car i drive-- and they have come in handy more than once.

otherwise, if you really run stuck, i think i have enough metal laying around i can make you a crude box-- it would be cheap, and wouldn't look the greatest, though shipping to norway might be a killer.

if you are looking for a profesional looking solution, you might need to find a fabricator near you to work with.
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
        X