Windows 7 Hangs on startup with USB hub installed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 Hangs on startup with USB hub installed

I just installed a Belkin USB hub. It's powered. I just pulled the power from the 5v leg of my M2Atx. Everything functions properly; however, when I reboot it just hangs at the "starting windows" screen. Initially I didn't realize what the problem was so after several failed reboot attempts I put the windows disk in to initiate a "repair". Well, after it loaded the drivers to go into the repair mode, it hung on "starting windows" and then it hit me that the DVD/CD player was connected to the same USB. I disconnected the hub and restarted and all works again. I can plug it in after startup and everythign works. Any suggestions on a solution? Any help would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks!

Is your hub only USB or does it have any other connections (Audio, network, etc)?
    FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
    My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

Sorry, it's only a USB hub. It has a mini-usb input and a power input and then 4 outputs. Right now I have my DVD player and Iphone charger/interface connected to it. And that's it. Disconnecting any of the peripherals doesn't change anything....only helps if I disconnect the hub itself.

Comment

When the hub is plugged in are there any devices not installed/errored in Device Manager?

Comment

Try a different hub.

Comment

Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
            When the hub is plugged in are there any devices not installed/errored in Device Manager?
            Nope, no error when plugged in. The weird part is it won't startup with the hub connected...but if I reconnect after booted into windows....every device connected works fine.

Comment

Like Curiosity said, does a different hub have that same issue?

Comment

You could always disable the BIOS boot from USB/other devices. Sometimes that can hang it.

Comment

i would get a different hub and chalk it up to experience (even if it was a $60 hub, you are still losing less than me-- i went through 3-$200 audio cards!).
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                    You could always disable the BIOS boot from USB/other devices. Sometimes that can hang it.
                    Haven't tried that yet...I'll give that a shot. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      i would get a different hub and chalk it up to experience (even if it was a $60 hub, you are still losing less than me-- i went through 3-$200 audio cards!).
                      Soundman...I was hoping you would chime in....I could pick your brain for hours on other Audio related questions...but I'll stay on topic.

Do you have suggestions on a hub perhaps that has worked better than others? I tried to stick with a name brand (belkin) in hopes of avoiding this...thanks again for trying to help.

Comment

powered hubs seem to be hit or miss(or maybe i am thinking of the powered extension cables?). i haven't seen too many bad things about the carnetix powered hub in the mp3car store, but haven't really looked at it too much.

otherwise, if you have a lot of low power devices, a non powered hub will work just as good.

i ran a cheap non powered, 4 port hub with my older 945 board--had gps dongle, usb aux port, wifi dongle, and bluetooth on it, and almost everything worked just as good as if it had been plugged directly into the motherboard. i only had issues with the usb aux port, but that was not the hubs fault-- i still have trouble getting those ports to work when plugged directly into the motherboard...

so i guess a better question is what do you need the hub for?

for the audio stuff, post your questions when you get a chance or pm me.
                        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                        carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                          powered hubs seem to be hit or miss(or maybe i am thinking of the powered extension cables?). i haven't seen too many bad things about the carnetix powered hub in the mp3car store, but haven't really looked at it too much.

otherwise, if you have a lot of low power devices, a non powered hub will work just as good.

i ran a cheap non powered, 4 port hub with my older 945 board--had gps dongle, usb aux port, wifi dongle, and bluetooth on it, and almost everything worked just as good as if it had been plugged directly into the motherboard. i only had issues with the usb aux port, but that was not the hubs fault-- i still have trouble getting those ports to work when plugged directly into the motherboard...

so i guess a better question is what do you need the hub for?

for the audio stuff, post your questions when you get a chance or pm me.
                          Thanks again Soundman. First, the hub is only currently for a couple of items that I need access to while driving (cd/dvd drive which has it's own power, and the charger for my iphone...right now that's all that's connected).

BUT here is a weird update. Let me first give the disclaimer that I messed with this for several hours over the weekend without getting it to work properly. However today at lunch, I plugged it back in and restarted just for grins, and it worked. I restarted several times and it's restarting without hanging.....so not sure why it's intermittent and what changed, but for now it's working.....weird.

In regard to the sound questions....I have several that I would like to pick your brain on. I've been in computers for quite some time, and Car audio enthusiest forever....so I never thought there would be so many obstacles to combine the two.....but like I said, I'll keep this thread on topic and PM you or hit you up in one of the other sub-forums.

Comment

May be completly difernet for you but consider an issue I had a while back.

When it has worked or not worked has there been any diference with if your phone is pluged in or not?

I had issues with Win 7 having my iPhone connected via a hub. If I could tell you if the problem was it starting or shutting down with or w/o the phone pluged in I would, but as soon as I figured out it had to do with the phone and the hub I stoped using the hub for the phone and now no more problems. The hub works fine with other devices.

Comment

Working...
                            X