VERY VERY affordable hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY VERY affordable hardware

Just came out car computing becoming plug and play.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/20/v...op-for-diyers/

Inexpensive as well!
    FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
    My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

as usual, the responses are more interesting than the article...

but, per the article, at doesn't include memory, or hard drive, so at $250, i don't really think it is any cheaper than other alternatives (a intel 945 board w/ atom dual core is $80-90), just a different option...
      My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
      "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
      carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
        as usual, the responses are more interesting than the article...

but, per the article, at doesn't include memory, or hard drive, so at $250, i don't really think it is any cheaper than other alternatives (a intel 945 board w/ atom dual core is $80-90), just a different option...
        i mean yes but memory and a hard drive for this would come out less than 100 plus the form factor hd out put you are good to go.

Comment

The Acer - AspireRevo Nettop at $199 is a more appealing option to me. It comes with a 1.6 Ghz Atom processor with 1 GB of ram and a 160 GB hard drive. It's a bit larger though at 7.1" square by 1.2" deep while the VIA ARTiGO is 5.7" x 3.9" x 2"

Comment

It looks like the AspireRevo (going off Newegg reviews) has issues doing 1080p unless you upgrade the RAM and dedicate 512MB to graphics, but for a CarPC it'd work without a hitch I imagine.

The ARTiGO does kind of lure me in with the size comparison shots next to the glass with a golf ball in it
            FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
            My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

The nano processor is only a small step above the geode.....with good, efficient processors like the atom out its just unacceptable to still be turning out crap like that. zotac worked with nvidia to create a really good nano-itx atom + ion platform and has yet to do anything with it-its a shame-it would kill this for a fraction of the price.
              openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
              - Always Recruiting Developers -
              Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

You would be better off with a fit-PC:

http://www.fit-pc.com

Same size, if not smaller, and has an atom processor on board.

I'll take that over a Via based system any day...unfortunately Via have a habit of promising the world, and then changing the world to fit.

Comment

I'm currently reviewing this product that mp3car sells:

http://store.mp3car.com/Habey_BIS_66..._p/ccc-212.htm

Fits anywhere, its silent, and has no trouble with 1080p playback.
                  mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                  Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                  Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                    I'm currently reviewing this product that mp3car sells:

http://store.mp3car.com/Habey_BIS_66..._p/ccc-212.htm

looks like a nice little box-- and for $50 more, can mount it.. i'll wait to post comments till i see the review
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      alright, just for comparisons sake-- does the habey solution include a hard drive or memory? and if so, what size are they?

even if they didn't, i like the vesa mounting idea that the case has, just not sure how well it would do on a wall mounted monitor(do you/could you mount the box to the back of the tv, or the back of the mount?)
                      there's 2GB of memory built into the board. Not upgradeable as far as i can tell. There is no hard drive installed, but any 1.8" compact flash card will work as you primary drive.

I have not tested the vesa mounting yet, but as you can see on the mp3car description its mounted with the four holes at the corners of the case. All the photos i've seen of the habey mounted are on a computer monitor, not a wall-mounted television.
                      mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                      Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                      Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                        hmm... I'll believe 1080p when I see it on that board.

Cheers,
                        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

i've had some hands-on experience with that mainboard (not in the Artigo case) and it's very surprising how well it does. VIA is obviously way behind the bandwagon with the release (the Atom + Ion have been kicking *** for awhile now already!) but they did come out with a killer pair here.

Plus, it's the only Pico-ITX form factor that packs such a punch right now.

edit: woops @ the language. dually noted

Comment

Working...
                          X