Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Display/HU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Display/HU

    Does any manufacturer make a Display/Basic HU unit? Take a look at this: http://www.xenarc.com/product/MDT-X7000.html, but double din. Or does any stereo manufacturer make a HU with an aux video input for which the touchscreen will still work?

  • #2
    what exactly are you looking for? am/fm, with carpc in a dd form factor?

    the double din screens in the mp3car store have an aux input, and vga w/ touchscreen also.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


    next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

    Comment


    • #3
      He wants the old DWW-6500, it sounds like.
      Have fun with that. They aren't particularly reliable (especially for the inflated price!) from what I understand.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?



      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

      Comment


      • #4
        I doesn't even have to be double din really. Just an interface that will allow me to connect the PC to the car speakers that acts like a HU so I have no need for a HU or amp until I gather the $ for a new amp and speakers.

        Comment


        • #5
          You know that interface between the PC and the speakers is called an amplifier, right?

          Here's the breakdown:
          A quality touchscreen is going to be just that: A touchscreen. None of the quality touchscreen units have any audio capabilities whatsoever, save for the craptastical internal speaker that some have (and many have removed).
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?



          Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

          Comment


          • #6
            in that case, i think that it might be in your best interest to get a budget head unit--what ever happens to be cheapest and has a aux input, and get a decent quality vga screen that you can mount on your dash, or in/on a cubby in your car (estimated cost: $100 for a screen off ebay(note-- i have no idea on this screen, just a example), and $50 for head unit)-- IMO, this would be a more budget friendly, and more reliable alternatives to most of the all-in-one vga input type units that could end up costing you more later when they fail and need repair.
            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


            next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

            Comment


            • #7
              is there a separate unit (not HU not screen not amp) that will allow an aux in on one side and factory speaker out on the other? If not someone should make it!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cnthinkoname View Post
                is there a separate unit (not HU not screen not amp) that will allow an aux in on one side and factory speaker out on the other? If not someone should make it!
                Something like this?
                Attached Files
                FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

                My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
                  Something like this?
                  I guess but I would need more than one and it looks big.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cnthinkoname View Post
                    I guess but I would need more than one and it looks big.
                    They make 'em with more channels too...
                    FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

                    My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                    My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Would I have to rewire the speakers? I guess amps aren't that expensive...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Note that adding an amp to the equation adds a lot of variables. You'll have to also factor in the additional power requirement, and do you just use the integrated audio or do you go for a dedicated sound card?

                        Here is some reading material:
                        FAQ - very helpful, this isn't your standard FAQ!
                        Sound from CarPC to speakers
                        Wiring Diagram Example

                        Is there a particular reason you don't want to use the factory stereo? I'm using something called Car2PC with my setup. It's a hardware piece that plugs into factory AUX and then has stereo mini for my CarPC. Now granted, it was about $80, and you can pickup an AMP for around $100....but I didn't want to go that route, and this will let me use my steering wheel controls. Here's their compatability list. InDashPC had the cheaper one for my car.

                        Hope this helps get you going down the right path!
                        FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

                        My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                        My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
                          Note that adding an amp to the equation adds a lot of variables. You'll have to also factor in the additional power requirement, and do you just use the integrated audio or do you go for a dedicated sound card?

                          Here is some reading material:
                          FAQ - very helpful, this isn't your standard FAQ!
                          Sound from CarPC to speakers
                          Wiring Diagram Example

                          Is there a particular reason you don't want to use the factory stereo? I'm using something called Car2PC with my setup. It's a hardware piece that plugs into factory AUX and then has stereo mini for my CarPC. Now granted, it was about $80, and you can pickup an AMP for around $100....but I didn't want to go that route, and this will let me use my steering wheel controls. Here's their compatability list. InDashPC had the cheaper one for my car.

                          Hope this helps get you going down the right path!
                          I've looked through both links before but thanks! The reason I am not using the factory HU is because that's where the screen is going

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Gotcha. Well, I would suggest checking out Crutchfield (though some might say otherwise). They are a little more pricey, but they have tech support, live chat, they include instructions with your purchase, and can make sure you have everything you need prior to placing your order.
                            FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

                            My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                            My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              while i am not a fan of crutchfield anymore(i orginally started learning a lot of stuff from their site), but i think that they have great resources for someone that is hand on, and just getting into audio...

                              you have 3 options for a amp-- either a large, aftermarket amp (basically what jpinkerton posted a pic of)--$100+ new (if you trust used electronics, you might be able to find used amps on ebay, or craigslist for cheaper)

                              a small motorcycle amp(most are about the size of a dollar bill) about $25-75 new on ebay

                              or a radio, and you nixxed that idea already(welcome to the headless gang!)

                              basically, a large aftermarket amp costs more, has more power, and usually has more audio tuning options on it.

                              a small motorycle amp is cheap, usually has limited options for audio adjustment, but are reported to be as powerful as factory radios-- so it is the best factory-replacement option.

                              there really isn't a wrong option(both work), but i would recommend that you get a 4 channel version so that you do not need 2-2 channel amps, to save a little on space and cost.
                              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


                              next project? subaru brz
                              carpc undecided

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X