Mini plug fan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini plug fan

I took the backplate off my G4 car pc and unfortunately managed to pull one of the wires from the cooling fan off the little plastic connector plug.

I tried to open up the plug to see if I could reattach the wire but it looks like it is factory sealed. I managed to lever it open but it broke into several pieces. I guess that they are a throw away item.

I have been looking on ebay etc for a replacement fan (50x50x10 12v DC) and found plenty. However the plug on all of them appears to be larger than the one that was on mine. It is tiny (about 4mmx2mm 3 pin female).

Has anyone come across this type of connection plug?

Can you post some pictures?
    FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
    My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	2277553

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	2277554

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	2277555

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	2277556

Comment

So buy fans with whatever plug they come with and some of those mini-plugs, and wire the fan with the connector you need.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I did find this fan for $3.25 + shipping. It has what appears to be a similar plug, but I'm not positive on that.

I also found this adapter that will convert the normal 3pin fan connector to the mini 3pin fan. This adapter would give you some more flexibility when choosing a fan, and you wouldn't have to disconnect the fan in the future from the connectin inside - giving you more reliability down the road too.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            So buy fans with whatever plug they come with and some of those mini-plugs, and wire the fan with the connector you need.
            I could use the original fan as it still works ok. But I couldnt find a suitable replacement plug.

I looked on Farnell etc but there are thousands of connectors. I could probably find it if I knew what to look for. Usually this type of connector has a generic name (like TX3?).

Comment

Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
              I did find this fan for $3.25 + shipping. It has what appears to be a similar plug, but I'm not positive on that.

I also found this adapter that will convert the normal 3pin fan connector to the mini 3pin fan. This adapter would give you some more flexibility when choosing a fan, and you wouldn't have to disconnect the fan in the future from the connectin inside - giving you more reliability down the road too.

Hope this helps!
              That fan looks nearly right (but the pin holes need to be square not round).

Which end of the adaptor plug is the small end. I would need a male large end and a female small plug. Is the one you show the wrong way round?

Comment

the adpator looks like to will do the job, just buy a standard fan and use that adaptor

Comment

This adapter is what you need then. It's a large male part (that's what she said) and a small female part.

To make your existing fan work you could take the normal (large) connector off a spare fan, splice it onto the existing fan and then use the adapter.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jpinkerton View Post
                    This adapter is what you need then. It's a large male part (that's what she said) and a small female part.

To make your existing fan work you could take the normal (large) connector off a spare fan, splice it onto the existing fan and then use the adapter.
                    The pitch is 1mm not 2 so that adaptor wouldnt work.

One of the guys from a uk forum suggested one of these. It looks very similar to the old one.

http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc34...way/dp/1578139

Comment

I eventually got sorted with the parts I needed. I got some little crimp pins, three pin mini housings and a new fan.

I fixed the crimp pins to the fan wires and tested it by touching the pins to a 12v battery from a remote control. The fan worked ok.

Next I put the pins into the plastic housing and connected it to the socket on the pc.

I then powered up the pc to see if it would work. I left the pc on for about 20 minutes but the fan didnt run.

Strangely when I spun the fan with my finger it started to run continuously until I stopped it with my finger. I then did nothing untill I spun it again.

There must be some sort of switching problem?

Comment

Working...
                      X