OT: someone educate me about pocket pc's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: someone educate me about pocket pc's

I am in the market for a pocket pc, not to put in my car but to use as a portable mp3 player, play games, gps and digital camera. Which pocket pc has 2 gb?
    What should I look for when I get a pocket pc?
    What I want to do is to have winamp on it and some games and probably a digital camera on it.

Does these pocket pc have usb?

Which pocket pc has 2 gb?
    None that I know of come with 2 GB of storage included, but you can buy a 2 GB microdrive that goes in a Compact Flash slot.

What should I look for when I get a pocket pc?
    First thing you're going to need is one with a Compact Flash slot, as that's needed for either the camera attachment or the microdrive. I'd recommend getting one with dual slots (usually one Cf, one Secure Digital).

What I want to do is to have winamp on it and some games and probably a digital camera on it.
    Keep in mind that a Pocket PC doesn't run regular PC software. Winamp hasn't officially released a Winamp player for Pocket PC, but PocketMind.com has a decent clone of it.

Does these pocket pc have usb?
    If you mean the ability to interface with a PC over USB to download files and programs to it, then all modern Pocket PCs have that. If you mean the ability to plug a USB device into the Pocket PC, then only a few models have that ability built-in(Toshiba and Casio both have models out). You can add the ability to other Pocket PCs with a Compact Flash card.

One caveat with Pocket PCs and a USB device, is that the device needs to have a Windows CE or Pocket PC driver for it, or be a standard compatable device (standard compatable devices would be keyboards, mice, thumb drives).

Do you have a price range in mind? That would help narrow down the list. If you want the lowest priced one, the Dell Axim X5 basic is an exelent Pocket PC, just make sure the $50 rebate deal is going on when you order (you have to order it by phone or online). I got mine for $199 after rebate.

Comment

i love my axim. does everything i could think of and more.
      "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

Originally posted by tom61
        If you mean the ability to interface with a PC over USB to download files and programs to it, then all modern Pocket PCs have that. If you mean the ability to plug a USB device into the Pocket PC, then only a few models have that ability built-in(Toshiba and Casio both have models out). You can add the ability to other Pocket PCs with a Compact Flash card.

One caveat with Pocket PCs and a USB device, is that the device needs to have a Windows CE or Pocket PC driver for it, or be a standard compatable device (standard compatable devices would be keyboards, mice, thumb drives).
        ipaqs do not support usb period, there is no usb host controller for an ipaq.

i have an ipaq 3670 with the pcmcia sleeve that i use with my 2gb pcmcia drive, you can also get a digi cam attachment called NexiCam, plenty of gps sleeves available, compact flash models too, or just hook up a serial reciever.

I use the winamp clone also, works pretty slick.

The Dell's are really nice cheaper machines but in all honesty I would go the ipaq route for it's more robust expansion ability.
        You will spend more though also but IMHO it's 10x better than any other PocketPC device out there.

nifty little action shot in the jeep:

1997 Jeep Wrangler Rugged Waves

Ebay Stuff For Sale

Comment

The new Toshiba e750 has everything you want, and in my opinion, is the best PDA on the market at the moment.

I'd definitely recommend it.
          Silver 1999 Nissan Pathfinder!
          Completion: [*********-] 90%
          Everything working! Mobile MP3s ROCK!
          LEFT TO DO: Improve power on circuit, fix slow boot time

- 550mhz PIII on Abit BH6
          - 128MB RAM
          - 40x4 Backlit Character LCD
          - 17 key numeric keypad - Repainted buttons
          - 2.1GB laptop drive for OS
          - 4.3GB drive for MP3s

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/bombboyer/ Redesigned, new pics!

Comment

ipaqs do not support usb period, there is no usb host controller for an ipaq.
            There is an CF card that adds USB host to any Pocket PC (except the iPaq 1910, since it lacks a CF slot or ability to add one). I can't find the link for it right now.

Comment

Although with USB, you might not need the CF slots anymore. As USB drives and cameras are quite abundant.

Comment

Originally posted by etrik
                i love my axim. does everything i could think of and more.
                I've got the 400MHz Axim and I also love it.

Comment

iPAQ's rule. . .. ive been using one in as my psuedo carputer for the last 3 years now (i have a 3150 and a 3835 series) but now im moving on to a fully loaded carputer.

but now my ipaq is mostly used for wireless on my college campus and listening to radio and some basic word processing (i have a targus stowaway) but when i get my tablet pc by next semester i have a feeling my ipaq will be relegated to the use of a glorified walkman

i purchased the ipaq because of it's ability for expansion, looks (everyone knows the iPAQ was the coolest looking pda when it came out), the screen is by far the best out of all of the others, but this also did come and an extra price too. look at those damn 5400 series right now. . .i would rather just buy a laptop with a little bit more money but hey it's all good. supposedly the new 2200 series line of HP iPAQ's should be really nice with HP finally integrating a CF slot into the ipaq
                  2003 Mazda Protege5
                  Molded Xenarc touch Screen
                  Via M10000, seagate 40gb, 16x laptop dvd, RS gps
                  EDAC 55w dc/dc
                  homebrew shutdown controller
                  2 power acoustik 10 FUBR's, A1800DB mono amp, AH600 to power mids and highs, pioneer speakers

Comment

Working...
                  X