Poor Man's SSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Man's SSD

As I was redesigning my car setup I decided it was time to move away from the hard drive I had, that at times would skip. I am assuming the platter was not happy with the weather changes and the bumps in the road. So as I looked I decided I wanted to go solid state, but with it already being an expensive hobby I wanted to find the best and cheapest way to get no moving parts and better performance. I did not really need much space since I can always add a USB drive for music if I wanted it. I decided 8 GB was more than enough for the OS and some drivers and a couple apps. I tend to just listen to the HD radio with only occassional MP3 access anyway. I am just putting it in this weekend and will hopefully have the OS and all running before monday and I will let everyone know how the speed it at that time.

Anyone have any thoughts? Maybe you tried this route and it did or did not work?

I have used an IDE to CF with an 8GB CF card in the past in my HP Tablet TC1000. I did not notice any significant speed differences between it and the 30GB IDE HD that it came with. If anything I found that with the CF card as the harddrive, I was constantly having to run clean up programs to speed the system up as it would hang consistantly.

In comparison to the SSDs of today (I currently use a OCZ 64GB SSD) I would say that the CF is no match.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I am thinking I may be a stopgap but I am more concerned about the no moving parts than the speed. As long as it is not worse than my IDE drive I am fine. As forthe cleanup utilities I will have to keep an eye on it.

Comment

Someone hasn't done any reading of the FAQs.
        There are several guides on using CF as a boot drive.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I read the FAQs I was more just interested in what people thought in the way of opinions..

Comment

I think you will find a cf card to be slower then a conventional hard drive. More importantly though, unlike an ssd, a cf card will survive far fewer writes before before the media goes bad. You will need to deal with ewf and other such pita stuff.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

without EWF you're probably going to wear out that CF card very quickly. CF doesn't have nearly as many write cycles as ssd.

Comment

The idea of the CF card wearing out quickly seems to be one of the most common threads I read. I am not overly concerned about that since my thought was 1. try the EWF route, and 2. take a ghost image of the 8GB flash drive, then when it does fail it cost me $20 to get a new CF and put the image back on it. I figured it would still be cheaper than a SSD over the next year or so till prices drop dramatically.

Comment

An 8GB SSD is ~$40 on ebay. For the price of having to replace the CF card once the ssd is already cheaper. Not to mention the extra speed and convenience of not having it die on you at some point in the near future.

I wont even ask the, "are the hours of time to setup ewf and get your software happy with it worth $15?" question.
                  openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
                  - Always Recruiting Developers -
                  Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

reasonable argument. I only spent $25 for the CF card figuring if it did not work I can use it for something else or resell it.

Comment

Working...
                    X