Webcam Dashcam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webcam Dashcam

Im wanting to use my USB webcam as a dash cam. Is there any way I can make it start recording to a file of a certain size when the pc starts up or resumes from hibernation? If it could record to a file that is say 10 minutes long and keep 6 files deleting the oldest one as it saves a new one each time that would be cool. Not sure if anything like this exists, and if it doesnt would be a neet project for someone I think.
    My 2007 Jeep Wrangler Worklog

Very timely, I just set this up yesterday. Take a look at the Minicam software, it's really great. I love that it interfaces directly with XPort, so it puts GPS location and speed info right in the image: http://www.curioustech.net/minicam.html

Comment

that is an excellent concept.. Challenged, were you able to get it completely up and running? I like the concept of autostarting/saving clips for each time you get in your car and then automatically saving that into an archive folder.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it works fine for me between hibernates, but I was also working on RRVoice at the same time, so I didn't test Minicam too thoroughly, but it did seem to work as far as I could tell. I was able to install my webcam right behind/underneath the rearview mirror though, so it's barely visible, which I like.

The only problem with the way I mounted my webcam was that the image was upside down, so I had to use an ffdshow filter to save the image properly as it's recorded. It would be nice if Minicam had the ability to flip the image over natively.

Comment

It does.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
            It does.
            Does what? Flips the image?

Comment

Originally posted by Challenged View Post
              Very timely, I just set this up yesterday. Take a look at the Minicam software, it's really great. I love that it interfaces directly with XPort, so it puts GPS location and speed info right in the image: http://www.curioustech.net/minicam.html
              Cool thanks Challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by capcadetjc View Post
                Does what? Flips the image?
                Yes. Flip and mirror are in the GPS filter config. Right next to each other.

Comment

This is cool....... Can I use this with a TV tuner card? That way I can connect my 4 camera splitter box and have all 4 cameras displaying? Also can this work in the back ground, so when the car pc turns on, it automatically starts to record?
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

No and yes. It will work with TV cards, but doesn't have audio monitor or tuner control. Yes, it can auto start, and auto record at boot and resume.

Comment

No and yes. It will work with TV cards, but doesn't have audio monitor or tuner control. Yes, it can auto start, and auto record at boot and resume.
                      I did want to have all this seperate, but seeing that I want to intergrate digital gauges into my setup, the main PC would always have to be on if I am driving anyways.

The audio part is very important. Do you think they will upgrade the software to include audio support?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Probably not. It's geared toward cameras. They aren't allowed to watch TV either.

Comment

Probably not. It's geared toward cameras. They aren't allowed to watch TV either.
                          Well I have to assume this is for recording the cars driving.... what if you get into an accident, audio would help alot.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

How would audio help? So in review you can hear you scream, cuss, and cry?
                            FAQ to the FAQ - Great Starting Point

My 2006 Honda Accord Carputer - Work In Progress
                            My 1997 Chrysler Concorde Carputer - Died

Comment

Yes. Flip and mirror are in the GPS filter config. Right next to each other.
                              Fantastic, I'm going to have to check that out in the morning. Thanks much.

Comment

Working...
                              X