Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte H55N-USB3 Mini-ITX

Hey Lads,

Just reading this review now over on anand about this board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3769/r...e-gigabyte-way

They have a full review with power consumption graphs for their setup.

What people's opinion on this for a Car PC base??.

Originally posted by paddyman View Post
    Hey Lads,

Just reading this review now over on anand about this board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3769/r...e-gigabyte-way

They have a full review with power consumption graphs for their setup.

What people's opinion on this for a Car PC base??.
    I'm using a GigaByte H55 mini-ATX board with an i3 overclocked to 3.06 in my truck and I LOVE it. Fast, runs cool, low power...excellent. I'm using that in a full-sized case for testing and development purposes, but I will be buying one of these boards for sure for either a HTPC or a reduced-footprint installation in the truck. Maybe I'll just get two...

VegasGuy

Comment

Whats the price on that Vegas, board plus processor?

Just wondering if I should be going up from my intel atom board....its good, but it just doesnt QUITE go fast enough for me, I think something like that with an i3 would be perfect with my ssd.

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
        Whats the price on that Vegas, board plus processor?

Just wondering if I should be going up from my intel atom board....its good, but it just doesnt QUITE go fast enough for me, I think something like that with an i3 would be perfect with my ssd.
        Keeping in mind that this was for the mini-ATX board, not the mini-ITX, I got the board and processor at Fry's for $88! Added 2gb of DDR3 for $70 and all is good. I have a 64gb SSD for boot and a 640gb media drive and and the whole thing is just as slick as can be.

I think the major factor to justify the cost difference is flexibility. The i3 is a true desktop board, and has not only more power out of the box, but especially with the Gigabyte boards, can be overclocked with the click of a button. It doesn't use significantly more power than the Atom, and even with the stock cooling fan, I've had zero temp issues. If you're on a tight budget, then the cost differential between an Atom board with DDR2 versus an i3 board with DDR3 might be an issue, but I would really try to find the cash if I were you.

VegasGuy

Comment

In that case, this just jumped to number one on my things to do list

Just realised it would be perfect for my kids gaming pc, can set it up in a tiny case and have something funky

Will have a play, I think I will end up replacing the atom board, it just lacks slightly, and I think this would be the perfect replacement.

Comment

Anyone else install one of these? I'm not so sure overclocking a tiny board in a tiny car case is a great idea. But this looks like a great board to run an i3.
            I like gigabyte build quality for an automotive application.

Comment

Originally posted by dmiller View Post
              Anyone else install one of these? I'm not so sure overclocking a tiny board in a tiny car case is a great idea. But this looks like a great board to run an i3.
              I like gigabyte build quality for an automotive application.
              I bought the mini-itx version a couple of weeks after getting the mini-ATX board and have it in a fairly small Antec HTPC case. It's got an I3 OC'd to 3.06 and the CPU runs 38C with the stock Intel fan. MB runs about 43-44C.

I'm really impressed with Gigabyte's H55 implementation. Very easy to setup and configure. Like any mini-itx board, the connector layout is pretty tight, and I might have liked another usb header or two. Still, HIGHLY recommended.

VegasGuy

Comment

Originally posted by VegasGuy View Post
                Like any mini-itx board, the connector layout is pretty tight, and I might have liked another usb header or two. Still, HIGHLY recommended.

VegasGuy
                If you want some more usb header take a look at the NZXT IU01 USB Header Expander, you can watch a review of it here
                English is not my first language so if I say something weird just say it to me and i try to be clearer :) :)

Comment

just my 2 cents.. but dont close the door on AMD ITX solutions. I am currently running a JetWay JNC84E-LF ( http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813153179 ) with a cheap 240 Athlon II underclocked to 2.4GHz @ 1.10v (35W!). At moderate load on a hot day (30C), the CPU/mobo run around 45C and 30C on cooler days (20-25C). This is within an enclosed space with 1 small 80mm fan for exhaust. I am totally satisfied with the quality and build of this board/CPU (gotta love AMD) considering I saved a buttload of cash compared with a similar Intel system. Anyone who tells you not to go AMD because of quality, speed or w/e are crazy or just retarded fanboys.
                  Centrafuse 3.1 / Win7 x86 | Jetway NC84 785G ITX | Athlon II 240 @ 2.6GHz / 1.10v | 3Gig DDR2 | 2x Vertex 32Gig SSD RAID0 | WD AV-25 320GB 32MB 2.5" | M2-ATX-HV | Lilliput 669GL in ByByte DDIN | Superbeam & Realtek ALC662 | Silabs FM | Autotap OBDII

Comment

Originally posted by SGAsgard View Post
                    If you want some more usb header take a look at the NZXT IU01 USB Header Expander, you can watch a review of it here
                    The H55N will put extra current into a USB circuit, so unpowered hubs may work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgerbik View Post
                      just my 2 cents.. but dont close the door on AMD ITX solutions. .................
                      Within the equivalent of i3 and above all direct comparisons I've seen favor intel. Especially in power management and single thread performance. Looking at board/cpu combos:

Atom - $80
                      Atom + nvidia ion - $130
                      i3 - $210

I don't know how celeron and core 2 duo fit into this. The core i power management is much better than these older processors.

I'm not sure how AMD fits into this price structure. I do know that AMD adding more processors on a chip isn't going to benefit most carputer users.

Comment

I'd like to hijack this thread

Will my opus 180 watt PS power this gigabyte h55n with say a i3- 530, maybe a low power video card like the radeon 4670 low profile plus vertex SSD and 5400 rpm scorpio blue, plus the Bu-353 and the lilliput 701, and mouse and griffin powermate? If not how much power will I need?

Comment

No, not safely.
                          This would.

Edit - unless your playing 3d games you won't need a video card. The i3 is a big step up from the atom.

Comment

i have an i3 for my htpc, it runs a 4870 video card to the max... well, thats a 3.6ghz i3 anyway on air too, it runs like a dream. absolutely slaughters my old e5200 at the same clockspeed... that hyperthreading can make a serious difference.

Comment

The i3 and i5 idle power use is not much more than Atom. Maybe 25w. The old Prescott Pentium 4 idles at about 125w.
                              That's why it's reasonable to talk about i3/i5 in a car. Graphics card are another matter..... back to high wattages. Better integrated graphics are respectable for everything except action games.

Comment

Working...
                              X