No announcement yet.

Pentium M 1.8Ghz vs Atom 1.6Ghz

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium M 1.8Ghz vs Atom 1.6Ghz

Can anyone tell me how my current mobo, Its an Axiomtek SBC86807 Mini-ITX motherboard with a Intel Pentium M 1.8Ghz CPU and 1GB DDR Ram, would compare to an Acer Aspire one with Intel Atom 1.6Ghz CPU and 1GB DDR2 Ram?

I've got a spare Aspire One netbook that my wife purchased and then basically never used after the novelty wore off..., so i was wondering how it would compare in performance to the Pentium M 1.8Ghz? If it is better, a couple of things I'd need to work out are: how to start-up and shut-down the netbook from the key (without modifying the netbook), also i guess I could just use all USB accessories, like USB sound cards (2x for when i want dual zone), only problem i could see is what to do for video if i set up dual zone, maybe it would be an opportunity to upgrade the hardware (again) then... haha

Single core or dual core atom ? Me think Pentium M blows atom
    Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

I'm pretty sure its a dual-core in the Aspire One... my research on some other forums has pointed towards the Pentium M being better than the Atom... so I think based on that I'm probably better to stick with my current mobo (which is mini-itx anyway)

The last benchmarks I saw on the Atom's looked like the dual core with HT enabled was about the same as a 1.2Ghz Celeron that's on the D201GLY board. I think the Atom edged out the Celeron a bit on a few marks, but for all intents and purposes...they were roughly the same.

i'd be willing to bet if you ran a cpu intensive benchmark like super pi, the pentium m would wipe the floor with the atom. that said, the terrible integrated graphics and slow bus speeds on both platforms probably put them about neck and neck in real world usability.

i have a 1.8ghz celeron in my truck, but it is a conroe 1 chip. compared to my dual core atom htpc, its not even a comparison. the celeron is faster at idle then the atom is at full speed it seems like.

pentium Ms are about twice as performant at the same clock as atom:

Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
              Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
              Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.