10pts to the first person who can find this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10pts to the first person who can find this

I remember seeing a video posted here from I believe a subaru.....where they use a polarized monitor in the front so that the driver sees a navigation screen but the passenger sees video playing. Anyone have any info or even better a link??
    openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
    - Always Recruiting Developers -
    Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Something like this?

hmmmm. Not sure how the youtube tags work... it's Mercedes Splitview.

Comment

the video I saw was off road in Australia but it must have been the same thing.... thanks!!

Comment

Actually since carPC news is your thing two more questions:

1. Does Toyota/Scion, Honda/Acura, Volkswagen, Hyundai or Suburu offer (or have announced plans for) anything other then a regular sat nav system?

2. Any idea if any of those driver distraction studies they did for some of the new ICE systems were released to the public?

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post

1. Does Toyota/Scion, Honda/Acura, Volkswagen, Hyundai or Suburu offer (or have announced plans for) anything other then a regular sat nav system?
          By "anything other", do you mean with additional CarPC features, like onstar or sync?

I'm not sure, but I'll look around for both this and the answer to your second question.

Comment

Originally posted by Penzance View Post
            By "anything other", do you mean with additional CarPC features, like onstar or sync?

I'm not sure, but I'll look around for both this and the answer to your second question.
            yea anything other then navigation, radio and handsfree (which is the same stuff we have seen in cars for ~10years now).

I know Toyota has safety connect and GM has onstar...but I wouldn't really consider that part of In Car Entertainment.

Also, I know Lexus has a great "remote touch" system but I couldn't find any info on that or a similar system coming to Toyota vehicles which seems strange.

Comment

Not so new but does TPMS, radar, parking sensors get included?
              I'm pretty sure all don't have this but how about ETC (electronic toll credit ... Need to check the Japanese again).

It's like a radar box that bills your credit card for highway tolls and also allows you go through toll gates at 20km/h .... Reminds me that I still have to register my unit.

Comment

Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post
                Not so new but does TPMS, radar, parking sensors get included?
                I'm pretty sure all don't have this but how about ETC (electronic toll credit ... Need to check the Japanese again).

It's like a radar box that bills your credit card for highway tolls and also allows you go through toll gates at 20km/h .... Reminds me that I still have to register my unit.
                like ez-pass, sunpass, fastrack, pikepass, etc?

TPMS was mandated by the US government so thats off the list...parking sensors are very commonplace these days but radar isn't a terrible one. Is it BMW and Mercedes that have the automatic braking based on radar and vss?

Comment

I remember seeing a video posted here from I believe a subaru.....where they use a polarized monitor in the front so that the driver sees a navigation screen but the passenger sees video playing. Anyone have any info or even better a link??
                  they have shown tv's/displays like this at CES for the last year or two-- but mostly in the home theater/tv category, i can't remember seeing much of this in the way of car electronics...

http://www.techjapan.com/Article1070.html
                  My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                  "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                  carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by Penzance View Post
                    Me likey. I had never considered anything like that until now, but it will not work in my car anyway as the dash would block a large part of it.
                    Does anyone know if there are manufacturers of aftermarket units that do not require the huge plastic bubble in front? If they packaged that as a flat screen I imagine it would soon be the new standard.
                    Imagine that with a touchscreen and the passenger watching a movie. You are tapping away at Mila Jovovich's eyes as they try to follow the film and you try to follow the maps...
                    Electronics work on magic smoke - don't let it out.

Comment

Justchat,
                      I am having hard time trying figure out what you really are asking for?

I was thinking that the carpc should be more of a center piece in the future incorporating all the separate pieces that we use today.

unit + input for tpms, radar, gps, obd, audio, visual, etc ...
                      instead of pc + keyboard, mouse, monitor, printer, etc ...

In 5-10 years time from now we'll be dealing with the blue screen of death during our commutes and that cute irritating dolphin popping up asking if we want to make that into a macro or something ....

Comment

In answer to the original question, Jaguar is doing this on the new XJ:

http://www.jaguarxjmedia.com/ENG_ENG...l#/dual-screen

But there seems to be a ruckus regarding its legality in North America.

Comment

like ez-pass, sunpass, fastrack, pikepass, etc?

TPMS was mandated by the US government so thats off the list...parking sensors are very commonplace these days but radar isn't a terrible one. Is it BMW and Mercedes that have the automatic braking based on radar and vss?

I know Mercedes and Toyota/Lexus do. Not sure about BMW.
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by CanuckMark View Post
                            In answer to the original question, Jaguar is doing this on the new XJ:

http://www.jaguarxjmedia.com/ENG_ENG...l#/dual-screen

But there seems to be a ruckus regarding its legality in North America.
                            Cool find... its no different then the Mercedes system so I can't imagine it not being legal in the US.

Comment

The Range Rover has that too. I thought it was the first one to have it.

Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                              X