Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on PC setup. Will it ever end!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on PC setup. Will it ever end!

I have been talking to dashboard over from the CF forums. I have been giving him my ideas on the rear system to get 6 independent users on 1 system. I told him that I was going to use my KINO-690S1 board with 5 USB to VGA cards. He explained that it may not be a good idea, because these types of cards tend to suck at full screen video. So back to the drawing board.

Because I now have lots of space in the back, and have room for a full desktop board, Ive decided to do so for the rear system. What I am wondering is what other users are running as far as full desktop boards?

My idea was to go with this MoBo (I am trying to stay within the Zotac family).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813500019

Its basically the same as I have now, but has two PCI slots added.

I then wanted to add two of these PCI graphic cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129042

Then pair it with 4GB of RAM, and add a CORE 2 DUO.

Do you think my OPUS 320 will be able to power a setup like this? Only other devices that will be connected is KVMP switches and USB soundcards, all which are powered externally.

Any ideas and comments would be helpful.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Let's see if I got this right:
    you are trying to make a car-plane system where each person has there own system?
    If so, what do airplanes use?

Server + thin clients???

Or why not just put 1 good system for the driver and el' cheapola boxes per passenger?

Comment

Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post
      Let's see if I got this right:
      you are trying to make a car-plane system where each person has there own system?
      If so, what do airplanes use?

Server + thin clients???

Or why not just put 1 good system for the driver and el' cheapola boxes per passenger?
      There is a good one for the driver and passengers. Then I want this second one to be a second system to allow independent use.

I have already thought of that. Powering so many units is about near impossible. Thats why I went from 6 PC systems down to one big one that replicates six. Thing is I didnt think about bandwidth so now I have to change it out. I just dont want to change it out and nothing works because of powering issues.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1
        Questions on PC setup. Will it ever end!
        No.
        You should know that by now.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          No.
          You should know that by now.
          LOL..... Im just going to take my chances with using 5 USB cards. I am either running into power issues or hardware limitations. As long as I buy a good USB graphics card I should be ok. i am going with a DisplayLink 195 chipset.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
            LOL..... Im just going to take my chances with using 5 USB cards. I am either running into power issues or hardware limitations. As long as I buy a good USB graphics card I should be ok. i am going with a DisplayLink 195 chipset.
            we've discussed this a dozen times already...so i'm just going to leave it at see previous comments.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

Originally posted by justchat_1 View Post
              we've discussed this a dozen times already...so i'm just going to leave it at see previous comments.
              I want others peoples comments though. Stop posting in my threads if your just going to bring up other posts.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

not really into hardware but I keep wondering if you should try an actual server instead of a core2duo. My macbook pro bogs down with heavy applications.
                something like xeon or such ...

I'm thinking of that guy who put that rack server and rack equalizer in his truck.
                He also had huge pipes for power. lolo, probably bigger than what powers my house

Comment

Originally posted by SapporoGuy View Post
                  not really into hardware but I keep wondering if you should try an actual server instead of a core2duo. My macbook pro bogs down with heavy applications.
                  something like xeon or such ...

I'm thinking of that guy who put that rack server and rack equalizer in his truck.
                  He also had huge pipes for power. lolo, probably bigger than what powers my house
                  Gudging from the stats, the DisplayLinks require 1.2ghz and 512mb of RAM. So C2D should be fine. The problem with trying the server and thin client route is that they dont support touchscreens. I tried N-Computing and that was an awesome solution until I couldnt use touchscreen. It also limits how software can run and a bunch of other stuff.

Are you talking about 1996C1500. Yea, hes an audio head so he has all that crazy EQ stuff. Only one PC though. Its cool how he got all of it into the server case.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I dont think it would work. Most of the video over USB adapters are limited to 1 or 2 per system. You need to check with the MFG of the adapter you planning on using to see if it will support 5 on a single pc.
                    I already told you what I think is the easiest solution. Buy 6 Intel D945GSEJT boards, 3x mini box DC-DC USB boards, 6x hard drives of your choice, and 3 of the mo-co-so Black Box Mobile cases. Our case will hold 2 of the Jt boards and the power consumption should be low enough that you can share a single DC-DC USB with 2 boards. That way you would have 6 truly independent systems (power aside) inside of a fairly small footprint, 3 cases.

Comment

Originally posted by theonlykid View Post
                      I dont think it would work. Most of the video over USB adapters are limited to 1 or 2 per system. You need to check with the MFG of the adapter you planning on using to see if it will support 5 on a single pc.
                      I already told you what I think is the easiest solution. Buy 6 Intel D945GSEJT boards, 3x mini box DC-DC USB boards, 6x hard drives of your choice, and 3 of the mo-co-so Black Box Mobile cases. Our case will hold 2 of the Jt boards and the power consumption should be low enough that you can share a single DC-DC USB with 2 boards. That way you would have 6 truly independent systems (power aside) inside of a fairly small footprint, 3 cases.
                      Well it depends on the adapters that you use, DisplayLink promises 3-6, six being the max that XP can use. I have seen lots of demos of 6 being run. So I know its doable.

My whole issue is that six independent systems is just to much of a hassle. Wiring, components, software, and powering all become an issue. All though I would love to boast that I put 7 computers in my car, in practical terms, it just isn't realistic. I am trying to make a model for what others can do to their SUVs and if I had taken that route, they may have thought it was cool, but they themselves would have never considered doing it.

In the end I did figure out how to have my cake and kinda eat it too. The Mobo already has 2 display ports, so thats 2 screens done. I then remembered that the [email protected] thing also has a PCI slot, so I bought a graphics card, also with 2 display ports. Thats 4 screens taken care of. The final 2 displays will get the USB graphic cards. I ordered one from DisplayLink for testing, so lets see how that goes.

Let me ask, I see that the one you sell has built in RAM. Does it really have any effect? Also what chip set is it using? If its also DisplayLink, just rebranded, what set is it? There are three that are important. DL-125, DL-165, DL-195. DL-125 is a piece of $h!+. DL-165 is mid-range. DL-195 is the good one with super good compression techniques for USB. Its supposed to be able to handle 1080i.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Have you tried running the PCI video card and the onboard graphics at the same time yet? I would be curious to know how you make out with that. The most I ever had to get working was 5 VGA on a single board. I had to use a quad card that used an identical AMD chipset as the board to get both the onboard and PCI graphics working at the same time.
                        As for the adapter we sell I cant remember what chipset it is using. I will look it up on tuesday. Having built in RAM makes all of the difference. All of the hard work is being done by the adapter and it is not relying on/sucking up any system resources.

Comment

Originally posted by theonlykid View Post
                          Have you tried running the PCI video card and the onboard graphics at the same time yet? I would be curious to know how you make out with that. The most I ever had to get working was 5 VGA on a single board. I had to use a quad card that used an identical AMD chipset as the board to get both the onboard and PCI graphics working at the same time.
                          As for the adapter we sell I cant remember what chipset it is using. I will look it up on tuesday. Having built in RAM makes all of the difference. All of the hard work is being done by the adapter and it is not relying on/sucking up any system resources.
                          If you can get me the stats on your card, then I can buy that one as the second card. I am sure its simply a rebranded DisplayLink. If its using the DL-125 chip set though, that not good.

PS: The new one I bought isnt the same as onboard, because onboard is a mobile chip set. It is ATI though, so they are both the same. Also they both most likely use the same Catylist Software. We will see though, even though TigetDirect is taking its time sending the package out.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

OK.... I got the USB adapter in today. It from a company called pluggable. They basically sell DisplayLink items. I decided to take the unit out at work and test in on my work PC. Its a Pentium D with 2GB of RAM, with INTEL GPU. Driver setup was very easy. I then plugged in the device, it installed and immediately I saw my desktop picture on the other screen. I then went to Youtube and watched a movie. The quality looked good, but it stuttered horribly. The audio was also not matching the lips. CPU usage was at 67%. I was so ****ed that I decided to package the unit up to send back. I was just so upset and did not understand why so many people gave the card such a good review. I then decided to take it home and test it on the Car PC. Installed drivers, plugged it in and it found the card. This system is a AMD Turion X2 1.9ghz, with 4gb of RAM with ATI GPU. I go to Youtube and play a movie. Picture is perfectly clear, lips match up, no stuttering. Of course, now I was happy. I then decided to play a HD movie, still no issue. Tested CF and it worked perfect. Checked CPU usage, it was at 10%.

The lesson here is that INTEL GPUs are [email protected] Thats why I always go for ATI and last resort nVidia. If you have a powerful system then these USB graphic cards are the best. I am so happy with it. Going to order a second one next week.

As a warning..... Only buy USB Graphic card units that use the DL195 GPU chipset. These are made for HD use, anything lower, EX: DL125, DL165 will not work as good.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

why are you using usb graphics cards? if you want a powerfully system, usb is definitely not the way to go.
                              edit: like this.
                              6 displays from a single card.

Comment

Working...
                              X