Remote DVD - what works?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote DVD - what works?

To anyone who has succeeded in operating their DVD player from 10-15ft away, how did you do it and what equipment did you use (drive, cable, etc)?

Personally, I have tried a 10ft USB extension cable, plugged into a JAE-50 -> USB adapter, which was also powered by a 5v Molex adapter off my PSU. The Panasonic UJ-815 drive would spin up, but not boot. I have seen several people with the same problem and want to hear from the people that have succeeded.
    Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

you might need to put a extra dc-dc power adapter up in front by the dvd player.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

At that distance you have 2 factors to deal with, voltage and signal loss.
      To over come the signal loss (USB) you can use an active USB cable like this
      http://www.mo-co-so.com/Active-USB-C...cs-usb-act.htm
      Signal loss generally becomes a problem, esp with high power devices like DVD drive, after about 10'/3m. But if your computer sees the drive it is probably not signal loss that is your problem, its the voltage. As soundman said you may have to tap a 5v lead off of your PSU to power it.
      Generally a USB DVD drive will work with just a usb connection as long as the run stays under 3-4'/1m.
      I can tell you that our drives which can be found here
      http://www.mo-co-so.com/CD-and-DVD-d...puter-s/64.htm
      Plus an active USB cable, plus supplimental power will make a 17'/5m run no problem.
      Our cases/systems all have a 5v output which solves the problem of having to tap anything internally.

Comment

Also the wire you run should be either 18 or 16AWG. Anything less then 18 will have the same voltage drop issues and will result in the same power issue that you are trying to fix.

Comment

It doesn't appear to be signal loss and I am running a 5v molex to it. It's wired with at least 18AWG cable. I am curious to see if anyone has this combo actually working?
          Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

I guess I dont count as "anyone" works perfectly in my car. Read what I wrote. Use an active USB cable.

Comment

tok, I have read all the suggestions and have dug through many threads, but have only seen a lot of failures. I have burned through a lot of time and money trying to get this working already, so I am wondering if anyone actually has it working and looking for confirmation on what is required.

Comment

For anyone else looking to solve this issue, I gave the active USB repeater cable a shot - repeater gives same issues, so it's not a data issue.

Tried plugging in a new DVD-ROM and XP threw a "USB device over current status detected" error. Unplugged immediately and drive still works, but I will have to look at the power side of things whenever I get time.

Comment

Working...
                X