Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 questions on device compatibility.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 questions on device compatibility.

My new MoBo doesnt have serial ports, so I have a KeySpan USA-49W. It basically gives me the ability to install up to 4 serial devices onto it. Now originally I had tried this unit and I could never get it to install correctly until today. Basically the PC would ask me several times if I wanted to install drivers. Then I realized that the PC treats them as individual ports so constantly hitting the install button, I could see that each serial port light would flash. Now the unit only has Win 2K drivers. These drivers work with XP flawlessly.

Here is my question though. The unit was discontinued and replaced with another, so they never made XP, Vista and Win 7 drivers. For all those of you that have mastered Win 7, can I use the Win 2K drivers? I have heard that Windows 7 Ultimate has backwards compatibility, is this true and how reliable is it?

What do you guys recommend.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

being they are all built off the same code at one time i have had no problems using win2k/xp/vista drivers in win7 mind you this is all 32bit os not to sure about 64bit os. you may have to run in compatibility mode to run setup of some drivers hope this helps SNO

Comment

I wouldn't hold my breath. I've had nothing but trouble with USB-serial devices that are even recognized by Win7.
      TruckPC - gutted, being used for test setup
      BoatPC - All in 1 in cuddy, N7 using VNC on dash, RR
      BlazerPC - Nexus 7 with Timur's USBROM

Comment

Originally posted by SNOtwistR View Post
        being they are all built off the same code at one time i have had no problems using win2k/xp/vista drivers in win7 mind you this is all 32bit os not to sure about 64bit os. you may have to run in compatibility mode to run setup of some drivers hope this helps SNO
        Can you be more specific? I only plan to run Win 7 32bit. So does this mean I have to run Win 7 Ultimate? What is the Win XP mode I keep reading about? Maybe it has nothing to do with drivers and only software (XP Mode)?

Originally posted by DaveDog View Post
        I wouldn't hold my breath. I've had nothing but trouble with USB-serial devices that are even recognized by Win7.
        I think its something with your installs. You have in your sig that your having issues with Win XP and Win 7! Do you think its a problem with the hardware your using? So far the USB to Serial is working perfect on XP. I mean the interface looks ugly because it was made for Win 2K, but its working. I am able to hibernate, sleep and what not.

Also is your USB to Serial FTDI chip based? Anything else usually doesnt work correctly, especially with hibernation.
        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
        4X MK808b
        3x Perixx Touchpads
        3x 7 inch Screens
        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
        1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
        X