Question about how SSD handles cold weather

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about how SSD handles cold weather

Has anyone any stories or experince how SSD are doing in cold condition for example from 0to -20c?
    2005 VW Passat FSI 2.0
    Iceland

i could safely say better than a spinning drive, i use a wd 2.5" in my truck for 2 winters now, i live north of toronto, ontario with no problems at all. SNO

Comment

I don't think they are common enough for us to have any experience with them yet.

If they have similar characteristics to PC RAM, then they should do quite well in the winter. Although many car PC's are operated below the manufacturer's spec temperatures, I'm unaware of any instances where a very cold PC board has failed due to the RAM.

Sometimes they won't boot because of shrinking/expanding connectors and so forth, but that is *probably* less of an issue with an SSD. I think SNO is probably right when he says that it will be at least as reliable as a current drive and I would expect it to be more reliable in the cold.

Main issue with cold is/was fluid bearing hard drives get so close to freezing they can't be spun by the HDD motor. This usually fixes itself after the HDD heats up a bit. Second problem is the LCD monitors with CCFL are very dim at first until they warm up.

SSD *should* be the least of your problems but nobody knows at the moment.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

I've have cold boot problems with my 3.5" drive, but this coming winter will be the first with my SSD, but i'm confident it'll work flawlessly. I don't think it gets -20 here, but I'll let you know how it does if you wait that long. If not, stick one in your freezer and try to boot it

Comment

in my experience the ocz vertex is a very good cold weather drive, this is the 2nd winter its been in my car and so far no issues. it was good down to -30*C.
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/envi...periences.html

Comment

I have been searching mp3Car forum and I had not found this thread. It answers some of my questions and ideas.
            Thanks for this link

I am starting to think that SSD will not give me so much problem. It rarely goes down to -20c here in Iceland. Very often it is around -5c
            2005 VW Passat FSI 2.0
            Iceland

Comment

If anyone needs a hard drive for the cold, I've got a new 80GB EE25 automotive grade drive for sale.

I tried an OCZ Summit which works even in -40C, but anything below -15C it's speeds went from 100+ MB/s down to less than 10 MB/s. Ive read that some SSDs dont work at all in the cold while others have no problems. Im going to wait until more people comment on what models of SSD work properly before going solid state again. Until then Im sticking with dual EE25 drives which have never had problems even in -40C.

One other thing to consider is the controller/motherboard which the drive is connected to. Although chips are solid state, they can fail to work in the cold as well. I know for certain that my EE25 drives are good down to -40C when hooked up directly to my motherboard, but I had one hooked up to a 2.5" to USB adapter (Vantec brand) and the drive failed to spin up. I then hooked it up to another adapter (generic brand) and no problems.

Comment

Go to the manufacturer websites. I only looked at OCZ and they have all the specs there. They all look the same:
                Operating Temp: 0C ~ 70C
                Storage Temp: -45C ~ +85C

So you could probably assume a little beyond those numbers, but at -40 I'd think it might reduce the life heating and cooling down often. Still a much better option than a mechanical drive.

Shock Resistant up to 1500G. I think we need to test that.

Comment

Yeah, all consumer grade stuff are 0 and above, but a certain brand will do fine in the cold. If you want anything rated for -20*c or lower then prepare to pay a hefty amount for it.

Comment

I can't believe I'm going to say this but: hard drive warmer!
                    [or just wait till your car warms up to boot your pc]
                    MobileThree: in car - Zotac Atom/ION - linuxICE 2.0.2
                    --worklog--

Comment

If you can find one. You need a small silicone heating pad/tape. 12v sized to the size of your SSD. Then you can wire direct with switch. Flip switch on for a few min to warm up the SSD then good to go.
                      Matrix switch and DXFskin

2009 Smart Car
                      Zotec 775 LGA
                      65W Quad 8GB ram - 120GB SSD, 500GB hd
                      Asusu Xonar Essence
                      5 camera, video matrix switch, 2x 2140 Carnetix PSU
                      8" Samsung, 7" Lilliput, USB to 4port serial

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
                        If they have similar characteristics to PC RAM, then they should do quite well in the winter.
                        QFT. It will work as well as any other piece of silicon at sub-zero temps. In others words - really, really awesome. There is even the freezer trick to rescue FDB drives.

Originally posted by Curiosity View Post
                        So you could probably assume a little beyond those numbers, but at -40 I'd think it might reduce the life heating and cooling down often.
                        Cold will extend its life. Haven't any of you ever visited an overclocking forum? http://forums.extremeoverclocking.co...d.php?t=137454
                        Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

LOL. No, there's a difference between freezing and compensating for heat. Overclocking to 49GHz raises the core temp to melting temperatures in microseconds. Having a constant supply of -200C directly on the heatsink keeps it from burning up. It's still running quite hot. They didin't say how long it lasted did they? But yeah, everything around that is subjected to stress when heating up and cooling down and that's -200C so it would be a good example of extremes if we knew.

Comment

Cold prolongs the life by reducing damaging electron migration and the effects of the voltage running through it. Processors don't "melt." Liquid nitrogen is even used to cool some supercomputers 24/7. Bottom line, cold by itself is nothing you have to worry about with electronics.
                            Audio: 4 * Rainbow Audio Germs + Infinity Basslink / Case: iStarUSA S3 / CPU: C2D P8700 / MB: Jetway NC64-LF / SC: ASUS Xonar Essence STX / RAM: Crucial 2x1GB 1066MHz / HD: MTRON 2.5" 30GB / DVD: Panasonic UJ-815B / PSU: Opus 180w / LCD: Xenarc 700TSV

Comment

I owned a OCZ Summit that worked fine in winters here in NC. Booted up around without issue on 0C to -5C mornings.
                              I updated it with a Vertex 2(Edit... this is just a first gen Vertex, not a vertex 2.), and this winter has been issue after issue. It just does not boot up when it's < about 5C. I get an error booting into windows, and have to keep the PC on for about 5 minutes until it is warm enough to boot. I had also updated the motherboard at this time, so it may not be the drive itself and may be the storage controller. I may have to try and swap the summit back in to see for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X